Thread: Sheep spotting scope

Question Sheep spotting scope

How much maginification is too much before you lose quality and its not worth it. I use a Nikon and find that all the way zoomed is fuzzy. I notice Leupold has a 10-20 that only weighs 16 oz. What do you weight watchers use.

Early in the morning I can crank my Nikon Spotter XL all the way up to 47 and it's not too fuzzy. Not perfect, but still more than worth it when trying to judge a ram. Once the sun starts heating up the air, though, 30-35 is about all that works well.

Default According to Leupold

I watched a show the other day with some guests from Leupold on it hunting. The guys from Leupold claimed that 40X was about all that was usefull. Anything over either the heat waves or not being able to hold it steady enough caused problems. On my Brunton, 32 is about the most i find useful.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ya it all depends on so many things. In sun and heat my XW14 (28x on my Pentax PF 65) eyepiece is great. With some clouds the 46x eyepiece is a better choice for seeing horn tips at long distances, the image is clear and crisp but a little dimmer but that's what you get with higher mag on a 65mm scope. I felt it could have handled more than 46x though at times. But at other times the 46x was unusable when viewing sheep at a mile away. The high quality 28x eyepiece gave great stable, clear views.

Plus, a cheapo price leader 20-60x80mm scope may be worthless at anything above 30x but a Zeiss, Swaro, Leica or Pentax 80mm scope will give great views at 60x given the proper atmospheric conditions.

A high quality lower power scope will give better views than a high power lesser quality scope. High magnification equals less light, smaller FOV, less eyerelief, etc., unless you have high quality glass. 50 or 60 power is best on an 80mm or larger scope. 50x is probably pushing it on most 60-65mm scopes. Depending again on the scope and eyepiece. A 30 or 40x high quality fixed eyepiece will give a better view than most zooms at the same mag. All else being equal.

At some point it all comes down to physics, the quality of the glass and the condiitons. And then of course there are young eyes and old eyes and personal preference.

If only I could just slap down 2 grand for a Zeiss Diascope 20-60x85mm. Then all problems are solved!! Now THAT baby will gather some light!

Oh, the Pentax PF 65 EDA II weighs 38ozs. Eyepieces are anywhere from 5 to 13ozs.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Forum Sponsor

You should take a look at the Nikon Fieldscope 50ED, Here are a few links:
    Nikon's Page: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/prod...4&product=8303

Camera Land's Sale: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon8320

Review: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

i like my swarovski ST80. It is big and heavy, but i can see detail and score with it well. customer service is second to none.

I can and do usefully crank my Swarvo up to 60X. Saves a lot of hiking sheep hunting.

I wish I was at work right now as I have a picture that was taken of 2 rams on an overcast day at 1000 yards through a Zeiss Diascope 85 set at 60X, the image is unreal! If I had the 2 G's to spare I'd be dumping in on that big Diascope in a heartbeat.

akcub;

the scope you refer to is better than any of their binoculars. it may be the best product they make....

Default Leica V. Swaro

On a recent sheep hunt I had a Leica 62 with a 16-48 zoom lens. My partner carried a Swaro 65 with 20-60 eyepiece. His was the HD version Mine was not. The extra magnification on the Swaro was noticeable and helped a lot with the field judging.

Default Second Zeiss

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I wish I was at work right now as I have a picture that was taken of 2 rams on an overcast day at 1000 yards through a Zeiss Diascope 85 set at 60X, the image is unreal! If I had the 2 G's to spare I'd be dumping in on that big Diascope in a heartbeat.
    I have the smaller version. Like AlaskaCub said, they are expensive but well worth the money. I've spotted Elk at very long distances here in Idaho with it. Best investment I have made so far in the optics department.