Thread: 2001 Polaris 500H.O. help

Default 2001 Polaris 500H.O. help

I went to get my wheeler out of storage and get ready to go hunting. I guess I need to run it more often. The carb is pouring fuel into the engine and air box. I think the needle and seat are shot.
    Anyhow, does anyone know how to disconnect the throttle and choke cables from the carb? I have everything else disconnected but those. I uncrewed the cable where it threads into the carb but they are still attached internally. Help.
    Also, does anyone know what the cost is for a rebuild for trhe carb? How hard are they to do?
    Any other ideas on what may cause this?

Since no one seems to be chiming in, I'll try. I can't address the Polaris carb specifically, but here are some generalizations which you might find helpful.

To release the cable, most likely you need to remove the top of the carb, where the slide is. This is usually a somewhat-rectangular "tower" on top of the carb, If the top is round, it may screw off. It it is more rectangular and there are a few screws visible up there, remove them and the top should lift off. The cable may have some kind if nipple or bullet on the end, which you have to thread out of a slot connecting it to the slide.

When you figure out how to remove the top, do so carefully, because there is likely a spring in there as well.

From the symptoms you are describing, it might be as simple as a stuck float on the float bowl at the bottom of the carb. To get to this, remove the bottom of the carb (probably four phillips screws or small bolts). Inside you will find the float (kind of like a boxy fishing float, which is connected to the float bowl needle, and probably some kind of pivot pin).

The float bowl at the bottom of the carb is the "waiting room" for the fuel before it passes through the main jet and needle, and gets mixed into the airflow. The amount of fuel allowed in there is controlled by the float, which floats on the fuel in the cavity at the bottom of the carb. When it floats up to the predetermined level, it puts downward pressure on the float bowl needle, which shuts off flow from the tank and, if you have one, fuel pump (some vehicles use gravity feed for the fuel). Note that the float bowl needle is not the long skinny one you are seeing if you look through the throat of the carb--it's usually short and fat, often with a rubberized cone at the lower end. Conversely, when the fuel level in the float bowl drops, the float drops, and it opens that needle back up, allowing more fuel in.

If something is preventing the float bowl needle from seating properly to stop more fuel from coming in when the float bowl is full, then you 'll get fuel spilling out like you are describing.