Thread: Best Brown Bear Cartridge For .270

Default Best Brown Bear Cartridge For .270

I Am Real Comfortable With My .270 And Would Love To Head North To Kill A Grizz With It...whats The Best Cartidge?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default Best .270 choice

If you are coming just to hunt brown or grizzly bears, your best choice for your .270 is to leave it at home. If you are hunting black bears, any premium 140 grain and up would be ideal.

If you have never seen or hunted the big bears, they are not like hunting a deer or elk. They are very tough to anchor if they are amped up, and a .270 is just not up to the task, period. Brown/griz are extremely tough, have a slow metabolism and are extremely fast. There is a saying that rings true, that a grizzly can sometimes kill you after he is already dead. He just doesn't know he's dead yet.

With that said, a .270 will kill any bear walking IF under perfect conditions and a controlled well-placed shot. However, as one that has faced a real brown bear charge, it is not a weapon of choice for a stopper. I had my .375 H&H Magnum and it nearly wasn't enough. I stopped it within a few feet of us by shooting from the hip and hitting that 9' brownie in the face right beside it's nose. If it would have been a lesser caliber, my partner would have been severely mauled or killed, and me, too.

But, since you are apparently not an Alaska resident, you must hire a guide. Ask him if he will even take you with a .270 and go from there. Some will, since they will be carrying a real stopper, so it may work out for you. A big .30 and larger is a much safer and smarter choice for this type of hunting. My very favorite caliber is a .280 Remington, but it is left in the safe when I am in big bear country, even for caribou or moose. Been there and done that, and a full-on charge is not for the weak-willed. I hope to never experience that again, but if I do, I hope I am armed appropriately.

Good luck however you decide. It is a blast if you are prepared.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Best .270...

...was introduced in 1912 I believe by the English firm of Holland and Holland! Sorry, couldn't resist!

Dave

Default allright...

i have a 444 marlin ill take that...what would you suggest for ammo
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

This article gives the best account of a bear charge I've read in a while. After reading that, if you still want to use your 270, I'd recommend loading good premium bullets and standing beside a backup gunner you trust.

I know of one brown bear charge stopped with a 270 and Winchester 150 grain factory loads. Took three shots, all to the head before one found the brain. At ten feet or so.

A few coastal brown bears and more interior grizzlies have been killed with 270's over the years, when things went right. Don't know about you, but I always think in terms of what could go wrong and plan accordingly.

We each buy our own guns, but we all pay for the high cost of rescue services and medical treatments.

y2kadlei have a 444 marlin ill take that...what would you suggest for ammo
    If you do not handload for your 444 Marlin, buy some Buffalo Bore ammo

That said, shot placement is key to putting down a Brown Bear...I have taken them with a 7x57mm Mauser, (using old solids) but they never knew I was there and they were well placed shots into the intersection of the spine and skull. Had I been in a charging situation I would have been in deep doo-doo...

http://www.buffalobore.com/

Product Line Listing

.444 Marlin

Item 9A:335 gr. W.F.N. (2025 fps / M.E. 3049 ft. lbs) Per Box of 20
    $45.14
    Order Now!Item 9B:300 gr. J.F.P. (2150 fps / M.E. 3078 ft. lbs)Per Box of 20
    $43.58
    Order Now!Item 9C270 gr. J.H.P. (2250 fps / M.E. 3034 ft. lbs.)Per Box of 20
    $43.58
    Order Now!
    This heavy 444 Marlin ammunition is recommended for use in any firearm chambered for 444 Marlin that is in normal working condition.
    Exterior Ballistics
    Item 9A100yds (0)150yds (-4)200yds (-11)250yds (-22)Item 9B100yds (0)150yds (-3)200yds (-10)250yds (-21)Item 9C100yds (0)150yds (-3)200yds (-9)250yds (-18)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Should you find a guide to take you BB hunting with a 270, I would expect that he will shoot immediately after your shot and you still won't know if you took the bear with your 270....

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Should you find a guide to take you BB hunting with a 270, I would expect that he will shoot immediately after your shot and you still won't know if you took the bear with your 270....
    Was thinking the same thing.

If you are going to spend the money on a airline ticket, tag, guide, and all the other stuff you might as well buy a rifle capable of cleanly killing a Brown Bear. If you can't afford a new rifle then keep saving and wait a couple of years. Go for a 300 Win Mag or bigger. Would really suck to get you, your buddy, or the guide killed or maimed. Or at the least wound a big bear and have it die a slow death. A 270 wasn't designed to shoot brown bear. It is my favorite caliber and I've shot everything up to bull elk with it, but wouldn't want to take it on a brown bear hunt.

If you decide to take the 270 buy the most expensive bullet you can afford. Something like a trophy bonded bear claw or swift A-frame in 150 grains. Also do a lot of praying. If you take the 444 Marlin once again buy the best and heaviest bullets you can afford and keep your shots close.

Default Nothing less than...

A 90mm Recoiless if your hunting interior griz, but if you're going Kodiak, leave the 90mm at home & bring in your 120mm Smooth bore, laser guided, thermal imaging M1A2 MBT Abrams, that'll do the trick, every time...

the .270..........I have owned many of them and they hit pretty darn hard, now I don't own a one. I have shot a few of them with 130 grain, living in the bush makes you shoot when you have to shoot with what you have.

My advice to you is to ... well nothing wrong with your Marlin, a good hitting levergun is a good stopper. Most here like a bolt gun, I do too but have owned a few leverguns and they work as well. Have to repeat myself here though, I live in the bush so what I say works for me and these suggestions pertain to what I have used or seen used by experienced woodsmen albeit Alaskans or otherwise.

Wouldn't be fair to tell you to go buy something that kicks the crap out of you and cause severe mental faints. Bears have been killed with many different calibers. You just have to be prepared, you're not going to get experience at a rifle range for sure.

IF this is a "what if scenario" then if the .270 is all you have when the chips are down is one thing but the suggestion I will make for you is to just go an buy the new rifle by Ruger, the .375Ruger--the Alaskan is a good one. Come on up and do your hunting but....do it ethically.

Default No "Best" Grizz Bullet for a .270....

because a .270 wasn't really intended as a grizz gun. It'll kill whitetails fine enough, and moose too if you shoot them at a reasonable range, but grizzlies don't like to die right away, and can traval a long way and wreak all kinds of havoc after being hit in the vitals.

Depending on how much recoil you can handle, a 30-06 with strong 200-grain bullets wold be a big improvement; a .300 WinMag a little better, and a .338 Winchester better still; again, depending on what you can shoot well.

Michael

Don't use it on Grizz, get something bigger, 300mag to .40 cal, How about a 416WBY mag. The guys on this forum have changed my mine about using smaller cal. on Grizz. I will be using a 416WBY, 350gr TSX moving 2918-2938fps and has more energy at 600 yards than does an 06 at muzzle. Now if an 06 can and has brought them down, there will be no doubt that the bigger cal.'s will and it sure gives a man confidence if it happens to be up close and real personal.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

150 rem core loc or 140 failsafe or 150 nosler partition. Or some of the other factory 150's.

It does not take an ICBM to kill a brown bear.

No need for ICBM's or even the big 270. Hunt grizz with a 223. I have read and heard from alot of people up here that this can and will kill bears with no problems!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

I believe you have stirred the pot. You use your 223 I am going to use my ICMB

Here is the rifle and load I will be backing up with my 44mag when I hunt the big ones.416WBY Mark V Deluxe

Here is the load 350gr TSX

Here is how it shoots at 100 yds, ran out of targets had to shoot cardboard
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default hmmm let me think for a sec

I have seen people shot with a 223 and they didnít die right away or some times at all. There is no way you would ever catch me chasing a brown bear with anything smaller than a 300 Win Mag, and that is pushing it. I know our forefathers killed them with ML and all of that fun stuff, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you really want to take a 270 or 223 out after a Grizz and then be laid up in a hospital bed thinking man I really wished I listened to those guys? The great hunter once said I can kill and elephant with a 22 hornet if the situation is correct, but I would rather be better prepared. No one is saying that you canít kill a BB with a 270 or 223, I am sure that it is possible, but hunting them is risky enough, just be smart. We already have too many stupid people around, donít be that guy.

Whit

How did the 270 get lumped with the 223.

the 270 is just a scosh under the 30-06 which IMO is definately a brown bear round.

I like the 223 for deer but would not use it for brown bear. Smallest round I would use is a 264 win mag with a 140 or 160 bullet. But that is just me.