Thread: Bears? Weather? out of Valdez?

Default Bears? Weather? out of Valdez?

We were suppose to head out this weekend to LongBay & Wells Bay area. Can anyone tell me how they are looking. I here it is a slow spring down there, and the weather is plain rough. Anyone have any info they could share!!

Should we put it off for a week or two?

Thanks

I haven't been out in the sound, but the snow is almost gone from town here. The only snow left is where they piled it from plowing and a few areas that don't get a lot of sunlight.
    Brian
    -----
    '85 Honda Goldwing
    '92 Yamaha Venture XL
    '00 Polaris Sport Touring
    '06 Polaris Ranger 700XP SE
    -Too many guns to list here

Default Snow

The south slopes are fairly bare down to the 2,000 foot level. The other slopes are still covered. The snow is leaving around the shoreline on the sunny sides. The other places are still fairly deep. Some bears are being sighted higher up. No hits at the bait stations as of yet. It is a late spring but should warm up this weekend.

Default waiting?

Could it be a safe bet to hold off on the trip for a week or two?

Default Memorial day

I've taken 4 bears out of Valdez over the years and we usually go Memorial Day weekend. Going to do another trip this year over the same weekend too. You should be fine putting it off for a while.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Dates

The earliest myself or my baiting friends have gotten one is May 17th. So if I was baiting, I might be early.

If you are spotting and stalking and do not mind a climb, you are probably OK.

Default Spotting and stalking

Morethan likley w are spotting and stalking, may or may not bait, have not decided. We are getting boated in and then zodiacing aroud the areaof that Bay. I hear wants the blow their plug they really like coming down to the grass flats. Does this hold any truth to it?

Default Thats how we get em...

We always find a good spot in the bay, anchor up and just glass the streams, grassy areas and anywhere you find skunk cabbage. It has been pretty consistent for us that a blackie will come down to the beach and start grazing. The nice thing about hunting the beach is that most of the bears we see are boars. The sows tend to keep their newborns under the cover of the trees and don't venture out into the open on the beaches. Once we spot a bear we ease over to the shore and make a stalk on him from the beach. In a lot of places now it is illegal to shoot from the boat anyway and a rocking boat isn't a good shooting platform to make a good shot.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Baiting

Remember that if you bait in 6D you need to attend a Bear Baiting Class and must register your station at Hook Line and Sinker!

I am not doing any more baiting classes down this way this srping. Too much going on at the time. I will be doing more next spring.

Default Thanks

I appreciate all the info. Hopefully we can get a little luck on our side. Can wait for the hunt!