Thread: New to Bow Hunting

Default New to Bow Hunting

i just bought my first bow. a bowtech diamond. any helpful hints as moose season comes around?....i don't know if i'm going to be doing any hunting outside managemetn area 20 this season so any help would be great. thanks in advance.

When you say you "just bought" your bow, how recently do you mean? Have you been practicing all summer, or did you just pick it up last week?

Bow hunting is all about proficiency under pressure, and that is all about practice. If you haven't put in many hours of practice, consider leaving the bow at home this year. If you have, then my main tip would be to know your effective range and stick to it. A lot of hunters, myself included, get awfully tempted to let one fly when an animal is just beyond their proficient range. The first caribou I shot an arrow at was standing at 50 yards. I had told myself that I would only shoot out to 40, but seeing him standing there...well, I was young and dumb and thought I could make the shot. Thankfully I still completely missed low despite holding a bit high and he ran off. Never again. I would way rather watch an animal walk away than take a risky shot and wound an animal. You won't get a second shot with a bow like you might with a rifle, so never take a shot that you're not 100% sure you can make.

Default Get good help

If you are new to archery, go get help to build good form. It is the pits to do the "man thing", develop bad habits, and then have to back up to try and get it right.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Brian, if you just got it you are not giving yourself enough time to become proficient. You made a choice to limit yourself physically to bring home meat, now you have to change your mental outlook to match. I will not tell you that killing with a rifle is easy. But I will say that killing with a bow is much more difficult.
    Del Demeritt used to have Fox Sports Den. He still does some stuff with archery. He is also the best coach that I know of in FBKS and I have been shooting for almost 20 years. He has taught the JOAD program forever, has coached at the Olympic Development program, and is active in Bowhunter ed. His number is in the book and he is a great resource. Might cost a dollar or two, but well worth the time.
    He will also have names of people in Golden North Archery that like to spend time with archers. Ryan Middle School should be opening up for Archery in October, and it is the cheapest place to shoot indoors in the winter.
    Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

I learned to shoot a bow before I learned to tie my own shoes or read but I think its very important to spend a lot of time (at least a full year) shooting consistently. Find a good mentor that shoots with a style that you feel will best suite your most demanding hunting conditions. There are many different styles of shooting a compound. An Eastern bowhunter will likely never shoot out past 30 yards, will probably tell you a shot out past that range is unethical or what not. A sheep hunter or someone who hunts open country like a Western bowhunter will need to be proficient to yardages out to 60-80 yards as often times, thats as close as you will ever get. An archer with a target background will have a vastly different style.

My best tips
    -Learn the methods used to tune your bow and tune your bow
    -Develop good form
    -Practice with the exact setup you will hunt with (shoot broadheads)
    -Shoot unknown distances and hone your distance judging
    -Keep your setup simple, the new gimmicks don't make bloodtrails
    -Remember that light and fast doesn't equal penetration. Carbon is excellent for target shooters, not necessarily for Moose and Caribou where you need the kinetic energy. Shoot aluminum, its truer, cheaper and can carry more energy.

Default Two things.

1. Consistency, consistency consistency. Do everything the same for every shot.
    2. If you decide to change something, only change one thing at a time. If you change more you have no way of knowing what made it better.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Good job!

Dan: I recieved your PM about your decision to wait until next year to try to havest a moose with your first bow. Good Job! And way to be a sportsman. Deciding to wait until you are more familuar with your bow and until you are more practiced is a smart decision. Sometimes it is tough to swallow a little pride like that but it says more of you as a sportsman and as a person that cares about the animal that he intends to harvest. You have actually taken a leap forward in bow hunting. "Knowing your limitations."

So good job and smart decision. The other archers online here will surly help you with any questions that you might have in the future. Learning alone is tough as you can't see your own form and mistakes.

Hope to hear back from you with more questions.

Sincerely, Dave Armstrong

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default good point Dave

Dave,
    You made mention of...change one thing at a time. Welp, after years of knowing my bow out of the blue I was down/right my last shooting session. I really really wanted to wire it all right with one fell swoop. You know, adjust my sight down/right....pins, etc. The hunt is 4 days away...gotta get her right. After reading your post, it reminded me of what I was taught...one step at a time son.

So, I slowed it down....got back to basics, made a minor adjustment and shazaam.

Tony