Thread: How has your season been so far?

Default How has your season been so far?

Finally got out while it was raining a few days ago,and we shot 3 of 4 birds we saw,so atleast I finally seen some birds.
    Then yesterday headed out with the new pup and one of the labs,we found a young covey and BLAM! shot one and the new pup the GSP sat down,I walked towards another bird to flush it and as it flew BLAM! she went for it,then another bird flew off........BLAM!.....anyhow she sure worked her nose to the ground following the scent of birds which in turn helped get a few more flushed up,and the lab retrieved them.
    Ended up with 7 birds and I let 5 go for another day.The pup was able to find a couple I sort of lost and she nailed them,but did not retrieve,she was really into sniffing them to figure them out.All in all I think she did good and was really happy theat she found some lost birds which is awesome cause the stuff was thick,and not to mention she sure was not gun shy.
    I forgot the camera to show pic's,but where at 10 birds for the season and I only hunted 2 hours so far,both times late evening.Daniel

i only have a few hours but have 4 birds 6 shots so far.. I need to get out more than the little bit that I do.

Dude Im with ya on that....I do need to get out more,but with them training at Birch Hill and the YTA its hard to get to areas that give up birds for me..Have you been to Birch late in the evening yet? I dont know If they are training then so I havent checked on it myself.Daniel

Thumbs up

I about ran over a covey of 8 birds still with mama as I came into my subdivision this afternoon. I shuffled them off of the road hoping they will get back into cover! (save them for when I am hunting) Kind of nice to see a healthy covey close to home.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I about ran over a covey of 8 birds still with mama as I came into my subdivision this afternoon...
    I hope this was your new subdivision!!

went 0-1 ptarmigan hunting, could use a dog I suppose
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Went up to Hatchers for my first time out for the season, made the mistake of driving up Archangel Rd. Wow, it's been a few years since I've been up there, and I couldn't believe how popular the road is now. Passed at least 50 cars parked at the pullout for Reed lakes trail, and there were probably 40 cars at the end of the road. After finally getting out on the tundra I hiked around for a while but saw no ptarmigan. Did get probably 100 feet from a juvenile wolverine which was awesome, but no birds. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Dude Im with ya on that....I do need to get out more,but with them training at Birch Hill and the YTA its hard to get to areas that give up birds for me..Have you been to Birch late in the evening yet? I dont know If they are training then so I havent checked on it myself.Daniel
    go up north of FBNKS its not too bad if you can find the birds