Thread: Kodiak - Deer Hunting Locations?

Default Kodiak - Deer Hunting Locations?

I am working on planning a deer hunting trip to Kodiak island. I plan on hunting during the rut with a bow. I was wondering if anyone could help me with locations to the south side that don't cost an arm and a leg to get there - about as far south as Old Harbor? Just basically looking for areas with good bucks that weren't affected to badly by the winter kill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default costs

the farther you fly from Kodiak (city) the more you'll pay.
    There can be good hunting closer to town & the rut dates won't change.
    If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you call F&G in Kodiak and talk to Larry or John about deer hunting. i've always found anyone who answers the phone there pleasent to talk to and informative.
    They'll also respond to emails.
    Gary

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ...I was wondering if anyone could help me with locations to the south side that don't cost an arm and a leg to get there...
    the farther you fly from Kodiak (city) the more you'll pay....
    Translate:

Old Harbor = 1 arm.

Olga Bay = 1 arm and 1 leg.

Akhiok = 2 arms and 1 leg

"The Secret Spot" = 2 arms and 2 legs (the hunting is so good, you don't need any arms or legs for success).

My hunting experience there reveals the further away you fly the better the hunting. This is combined with the further away you are from a cannery or lodge or cabin the better it gets also. My son and I hunt there usually every year and the deer are usually out of rut by the 1st of Novemeber.
    Contact Roland at Sea Hawk air for flights and general hunting information.
    Tennessee

Thanks for responding guys,

I've hunted Kodiak before, but Spiridon Area, 2 years ago. We took and saw some great deer, but I fear they had a die off up there this last winter. I did fly with Roland and he was excellent, he's the same person I've already priced a lot of places with for this year. Also contacted Larry with G&F, helpfull yes, but very short and just kind of told me what I've heard about the winter being "hard". He did recommend Deadman Bay, but my hunting partner doesn't want to pay quite that much. Was hoping to find out about areas around Kiliuda Bay, maybe Ugak, or even Sitkalidak Strait and island. Maybe even someone has more info on what Larsen or Zacher is like after the winter. Has anyone dropped into the interior on any of the small lakes or heard of it?

Again, thanks a lot guys and any stories or suggestions is helpful.

Default Challenging planning

You want to hunt blacktail without paying too much on Kodiak island. You've been there before and had your feet on the the ground. I'm afraid my friend you have already exceeded many Americans hunt budget just by laying down $600 to ride AK airlines.

When it comes to blacktails durring the rut find 500 ft. flats in reasonably close proximity to excellent high country feeding zones. Look for country that would have helped the deer get through winter, Old growth forest mainly. In those areas work the upper elevation flats. They could be anywhere really but I like to call and those open areas are excellent for that. Durring the rut I've also found rutting deer in nice stands of old growth too though.

Good High country+Old growth+Plateau clearings+clear cuts= Blacktail deer

I'm planning a hunt to POW for Blacktail in two weeks. Funny thing happened. I started to talk with a fella about his hunt there. He decided to share with me where his guide took him. I got out the atlas and as he began to share it brought me right to within a 10mile radius circle I had drawn on the map to outline my inteded hunt area for my DIY hunt. All I had done was locate the above features in conjunction with remoteness.

Enjoy the HUNT!

deer rut done by november 1st? did i read that right? two falls ago we were shooting bucks on top of does (not literally, we'd wait for them to get off) late first week of november and last fall seen bucks trailing does in mid november. never seen rut activity before the last week of october before.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Here's a helpful website if you plan to fly into one of the villages. Most are surrounded by Native lands so know before you go. Some native land is open to the public, most involve fees, and some are closed to the public.
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/plann...k/indexmap.htm

The north end of the island was the hardest hit by the winter die off. From the couple hunts I've been on I'd say they were correct in their assesment that the north end had about 100% die off of fawns. I have yet to see a small spike or scrub fork, also haven't seen any older bucks. Most look to be in the 2.5-3.5 year old range. Granted old bucks are always fairly rare on the roadsystem. The valley I like to hunt has held about 25-30 bucks the past two years, last weekend I spotted 10-12. Good news is most of the does I've seen have a fawn and I've seen a couple sets of twins.
    Wish I was out there today, but the deer don't move much when its raining and blowing 25.

TB,
    Thanks for the update. I'm having a hard time waiting for November.

--Bill