Thread: choosing a bullet for a 300 win mag

Default choosing a bullet for a 300 win mag

I am going to work up a load this winter for the 300 win mag. I just have one question. Which bullet to choose. There are so many bullets out there that say that they do everything. What I would like is some personal experencies with the bullets that they use. I was going to use a 180gr Nosler Paration, only becuace I have used them in the past on moose and bear. I want a good bullet that will hold together well when shot at bigger animals. Thanks in advance

Thumbs up Reloader 22

76.0 of Reloader 22 with 180 Nos
    Fed 215GM
    FC Brass
    Excellent load in the 300 Win

The only other bullet I would suggest is the Nosler Accubond in 180gr.
    Alaska

Default 200 grain ?

Back when I shot a .300 Win. Mag. I thought the 200 grain Nosler Partition was a good as it gets. I think the 200 grain Swift or 180 grain Barnes X would be my top choice today.
    Last edited by .338 mag.; 08-19-2007 at 21:59. Reason: partition

I have to agree with 338 mag, the 200m gr Nosler Partition is the way to go . 300 mags are finaky about witch bullet will shoot well in them. It took me quite a while to come up with a load for my 300 Browning A-Bolt SS Stalker. I shot every bullet weight I coudl find and as a last resort I tried the 200 gr Noselr Partition. I can hold sub MOA at 100 yards sa long as I care to shoot. It opens up a bit more at 200 and a tad more at 300.

Default 300 Wm

I have used both the 180 Nosler Partition and the 180 Nos Balistic Tip. Both with excellent performance.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default Hornady

Consider the Hornady Interbond 180 gr boat tail ballistic tip with RL-22 with either LR or Mag primer. I am still working up this one, but so far have 1 moa at 200 yards and have shot paper plates at 300 yards. Single shot kill on a goat at 200 yards. The ballistic tip does not deform with the recoil from the 300 win mag.

Default 200 Grain Swift A-Frames

I like the Swift A-Frames, I shoot them in my .338 WM. For Alaskan all around hunting with a 300 WM I would load the 200 Grain Swift A-Frames. From my experience, I have found that if a rifle shoots Nosler Partitions well, it'll shoot the Swift's. In fact, I usually start with the cheaper Nosler to get the load close and do my final load development with the A-Frames. After seeing a 300 WM with 180's (Partitions) on moose I would definitely go with 200 grain Swifts.
    http://www.swiftbullets.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=30
    Woody