Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to get rid of Kenai Guides....

Default Ways to get rid of Kenai Guides....

Since guides on the Kenai create 99.999999% of the problems on the Kenai and if we got rid of guides the rest of Alaskans, well, Soldotna residents first then the rest of Alaska, could enjoy a tranquil experience.

I thought I would start a thread so we could come up with options to getting guides off the Kenai. Post up! We need to rid the river of these "guides".

Default How about a contagious disease?

It would spread quickly among the guides in July since they are all so close to eachother on the river!

JK of course.

Being a hunting/fishing guide is what a lot of us outdoorsmen dream of doing for a living. Keep living our dream!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    Since guides on the Kenai create 99.999999% of the problems on the Kenai and if we got rid of guides the rest of Alaskans, well, Soldotna residents first then the rest of Alaska, could enjoy a tranquil experience.....
    How about a contagious disease?.....

...It would spread quickly among the guides in July since they are all so close to eachother on the river!....
    Such a disease would likely spread to the commercial fishing folks. We can't have that!

(I wish I would have joined this forum after Prince Benny coined the "Valley Trash" moniker. I would have loved dreaming up an appropriate avatar for that name..........)

Yukon, I say we make a law or city ordinance banning guides from the Kenai. It's every man, woman and child for themselves. Have them all go fish the Kasilof.

Default Mass Transit of the River

Guides are the mass transit of the river, fishing with a guide is like taking the People Mover to work in Anchorage

Less negative impact on the environment, reduced crowding, less pollution, safer, saner, etc.

who cares if a boat being operated by a guide.......or "your buddy".......the overall impact is the same

the only reason to limit guides is to deprive people without their own boat the opportunity to fish

If you can't (or don't want to) buy and maintain a Kenai River boat, shell out a tiny fraction of what that would cost each year and go King fishing with a guide

I do it a couple times a year and thoroughly enjoy it

The interest I save on the money it would take me to buy a Kenai Boat and maintain it pays for those two trips PLUS a couple of plane tickets to Hawaii in the winter!!!

Good idea Yukon, if you guys can get rid of the guides, I know I could save a fortune on permits, taxes, first aid and cpr classes, coastguard licensing, guide college, random drug enrolment costs and the actual tests that I have to pay for several times a year. I would have time to take all of my friends that I have made over the years fishing and be able to use my own rod while doing it, I could fish 24/7.

Guides are the cancer of the Kenai river. Fishing with a guide is like taking fish off of your (Alaskans) stringer.

Anyone ever fish near the guides? Safer? Who cares if a boat is operated by a guide or your buddy? The people of Alaska care.

The only reason to not limit guides is to deprive Alaskans with their own boat the opportunity to fish the Kenai.

I quit going on the Kenai because of all the guides. Fellow Alaskan boaters are almost always friendly. Almost all guides I’ve seen are rude. I can say I thoroughly don’t enjoy the Kenai anymore.

I don’t save any money in interest (for the cost of operating my boat) because I’d rather boat and fish Alaska than go to Hawaii or other places…

Won't get rid of ALL the guides, but mayhaps requiring all guides (Kenai and everywhere else up here) to be Alaskan Residents would thin the herd....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default on a more serious note

Yukon, I want to start a thread soon on the BOF proposals and look fwd to your input. Would like to have some good discussion and debate on various proposals and who supports what, and why. Sorry that the guides are taking a beating of late, kinda reminds me of the beating those nasty comfish netters take <grin>.

Reality of the situation is the same reality already faced by many other places and communities: growth, exploitation, and more growth and more exploitation. There is only one cure in most cases, and that is limiting numbers/times of those exploiting the fishery, whether they are guides or non-guided, or PU/Sport/Commercial, and limiting the habitat damage they also cause. Of course, we could just allow unabashed and unlimited access to all and see how mother nature responds to that.

I'm gonna crack a homebrew beer for you!
    Cheers,

Default Not so simple. . .

Guides are but a free-market response to "opportunity." And to be honest, they take a lot of heat for problems they haven't created.

The fishNaddiction, bigfishNobsession advocates, who love to abuse the gill-net industry's curtain of death and killer nets along with those who want to crank up the sportfishing, economic engine, running hard create hostilities, divisions, and hard feelings for which the guides take more than their share of heat.

Guides are a visible target. Some of the targets are help up by guides themselves, but some of the targets are held up by others, letting the guides take the hits.

Thumbs up Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Won't get rid of ALL the guides, but mayhaps requiring all guides (Kenai and everywhere else up here) to be Alaskan Residents would thin the herd....

I would second Hippie's proposal. If you ain't Alaskan resident, you can't guide!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Guides really do not serve a purpose except a taxi service. Lets see what has been posted and suggested about the guides.

I can remember these and you all can help me out remembering.

1) guides are taxi's not guides unlike Sakajawia (sp, sorry) and "clients" should bring their own equipment

2) Guides are rude

3) Guides crowd the river

4) Guides want to use cleaner burning 4-strokes not to clean up the river but to keep locals off the river so they can have it all to themselves

5) Guides want to completely rid Cook Inlet of Commercial fishing

6) Guides get out 45 min early and sit in spots to keep others out

7) Guides fish "clients" on Sundays

8) Guides do not significantly contribute to the community

9) Guides are greedy and would jump out of the water for a fat wallet

10) Guides want all the fish and won't be satisfied until every last king is in the river

11) Guides target kings during silver season

12) Guides use 50hp

13) Guides drive willie predators responsible for the erosion

14) Guides only care about money and not the resource

15) Guides have changed the entire genetics of the Kenai kings by targeting large fish

16) Guides fish the spawning beds (which are from Eagle Rock on up)

That is just off the top of my head, you can all help my list out

Default Hypothetical

I'm not going to slam guides, as there are plenty of unethical and greedy "leisure" fishermen, but speaking in general terms, look at two scenarios:

1. You live in Anchorage/the Valley/wherever and fish for sport/hobby/filling up the freezer. You go down to the Russian after work or on a weekend to catch some reds. You really want to catch some fish, but you get skunked this time; however, you know its not the end of the world, because you can come back tomorrow or the next weekend and limit out. The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work, right?

2. You are a guide on the Kenai River. Billy Bob from Texas is your client. He just spent thousands of dollars coming up for his dream vacation in Alaska that he's fantasized about for years while toiling away in some Texas hellhole. He's only got one thing on his mind: catching that world-record 98-lb. king. And he's putting all his faith (and money) into you to take him to that fish. Your livelihood depends on Billy Bob catching that fish and telling everyone what a great guide you are. And all these commercial fishermen and private anglers are getting in the way of you making your living!

Who do you think is going to go to more drastic measures to catch a fish? Again, I'm sure there are lots of great guides out there, but its also easy to see how things can get out of hand fast, to the detriment of the resource

Angry Guides

I last bothered to fish the Lower Kenai form a boat in 1983 to be exact; IMO it was ruined then. This exact conversation was topical then and "violence" on the river was being reported in the newspapers.

To see anyone being against limiting the number of guides-as a necessary first step towards saving the River and the experience-is unimaginable. Sorry guide boys but history is replete with examples of the public resource being ruined by these folks. And then comes drastic management.

On another note, anybody seen the "walking guide" on the Ninilchik and Anchor Rivers? There's all the example you need for guiding selfishness and money first ethics.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cheechako_jim View Post
    I'm not going to slam guides, as there are plenty of unethical and greedy "leisure" fishermen, but speaking in general terms, look at two scenarios:

1. You live in Anchorage/the Valley/wherever and fish for sport/hobby/filling up the freezer. You go down to the Russian after work or on a weekend to catch some reds. You really want to catch some fish, but you get skunked this time; however, you know its not the end of the world, because you can come back tomorrow or the next weekend and limit out. The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work, right?

2. You are a guide on the Kenai River. Billy Bob from Texas is your client. He just spent thousands of dollars coming up for his dream vacation in Alaska that he's fantasized about for years while toiling away in some Texas hellhole. He's only got one thing on his mind: catching that world-record 98-lb. king. And he's putting all his faith (and money) into you to take him to that fish. Your livelihood depends on Billy Bob catching that fish and telling everyone what a great guide you are. And all these commercial fishermen and private anglers are getting in the way of you making your living!

Who do you think is going to go to more drastic measures to catch a fish? Again, I'm sure there are lots of great guides out there, but its also easy to see how things can get out of hand fast, to the detriment of the resource

Cheechacko

Good point -- and very nicely articulated.

Like I said, get rid of the guides and you will get rid of the problems. Lets hear some ways to get rid of them, we already know they have ruined the river.

After we're done with this one, yukon, let's start a thread on how to get rid of us evil commercial fishermen as well. Though I'm not a UCI netter, us comm fish guys are about as universally reviled as you guides by the sportfishing hordes (which I'm a member of as well.) Hmmmm.....I dipnet, sport fish, and commercial fish. Either that all cancels itself out, or I should just off myself.

I think it should be made illegal for guides to accept gratuities/tips. Then they knew before they pushed off they were gonna get x amount of money. Just let them double the price of their trips.

Quote Originally Posted by cheechako_jim View Post

"drastic measure" I can't think of what that would be.

That situation #2 is so far from what actually happens out there it is pretty funny.

Lets add a few more to the list:

17) Guides shouldn't accept tips

18) Guides are not as friendly as non-guide boats

19) Guides will take "drastic measures" to catch fish

20) Guides want to catch a fish so bad things can get out of hand

21) There are many "examples of the public resource being ruined by these folks."

22) Guides create "violence" on the river

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast