Thread: Getting my CG license - need help

Default Getting my CG license - need help

I need to get a 25-Ton Master CG license for next summer. I was offered a job running halibut charters out of Deep Creek, but I need to get my ducks in a row first.

There is supposed to be an outfit teaching the classes out of the American Legion building in Anchorage, but I have been unable to find them. Also, any tips on CPR and First Aid classes would be helpful as well.

Any helpful suggestions for getting me through this licensing process would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default www.aknauticaltraining.com

Here it is. i took mine there in 2003 and got my 25 ton. My employer paid for mine so i don't know the costs. Be sure and have all your paperwork ready for the Coast Guard office at the Dimond Center. The instructor will give you a heads up.

I wish more people took the class. Launching at the Whittier boat ramp is quite the experience and i now know why they have those chairs by the coffee shop facing the ramp. People falling overboard, boats ramming the dock, and husbands hollering at there wives for not knowing what to do. I am not saying i am better I just rather have people know what there doing. I have kids and hate to have them be hurt by an inexperienced boater.

http://www.aknauticaltraining.com/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BeringSea View Post
    I wish more people took the class. Launching at the Whittier boat ramp is quite the experience and i now know why they have those chairs by the coffee shop facing the ramp. People falling overboard, boats ramming the dock, and husbands hollering at there wives for not knowing what to do. I am not saying i am better I just rather have people know what there doing. I have kids and hate to have them be hurt by an inexperienced boater.http://www.aknauticaltraining.com/

Kind of sounds like Valdez during silver season. A real circus of people with no knowledge of the area, navigation rules or safe practices.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, navigation rules? Why would there be navigation rules on the open ocean? It's big enough you can just drive anywhere, right?

Bering Sea, I know what you mean about the boat ramps. I watched a guy in a 22-foot aluminum boat crash into a 30-foot Osprey and claim he didn't see him. I thought that incident was going to end in a fist fight. I saw one poor guy leave his Volvo-Penta outdrive down and ruin $1000 worth of stainless props. I felt bad for him; that's a costly mistake that's easy to do. I saw another guy in Homer (hungover, of course) drive his boat up on the rocks as he tried to back out at low tide. For that one, I didn't feel the slightest bit of sympathy. I was kind of glad he didn't make it out on the water that day, considering that his sobriety was in question. Luckily, though, I have never seen anyone fall in or get seriously injured.

Thanks for the link.

Dan

Unfortunately, a six pack license test doesn't cover boat handling skills. So a license won't help at the ramp.

I took the ANTS course a few years back. It was fine, I'm sure it really depends on the instructor.

The best thing you can do is get your USCG 719 form completely and ready to submit when the class is done. They do not submit the package for you.