Thread: fairbanks outdoors/hunting store?

Default fairbanks outdoors/hunting store?

I'm going to be arriving begining of sept. and will need to pick up a few things that can't fly. I would appreciate some advice on a outdoor/hunting supply store in Fairbanks that has everything ( one stop shopping ) . I love to window shop and look for any last minute things that I may have forgot although I'm already bring everything but the kitchen sink! Thanks again for all of the help and advice from the members of the forum. I'm hopping to have a success story to share along with lots of pictures. Hope everyone has a safe and rewarding season!!!

Default Sportsmans Warehouse

Look up the Sportmans Warehouse when you get in Fairbanks - 423 Merhar Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701-3166 - (907) 374-8800

Good luck !!!

Default Good choices in FBKS

Sportsmans Whse (north east side of town) does have a lot of stuff, but Fbks is easy to get around and there are several good stores to look at.
    Beaver Sports (College Rd. west end) has great lines of synthetics, backpacking, camping, fuels, and water sports. Mtn Hardware, Marmot, Ibex, Helly, are just a few lines they have.
    Frontier Outfitters (northeast side of town) is more hunting oriented and does have some camo, and foul weather gear along with the gun support, etc. Also Sentry Hardware is downstairs which adds to the shopping experience.
    Arctic Gunworks (Airpport rd 2 miles from airport) is a small specialty gun store. Gary is a very good gunsmith just in case something happens in transit to your firearm.
    Mountain Sports (College rd east) has high quality backpacking and other gear. Very knowledgable about AK outdoors.
    H&S Whse is a household packing company open Monday through Friday. They sell boxes, and packing material if you need to mail items back home. They can also help crate or wrap items that you want to take on the plane. Labor rate is not cheap, but they are very professional and can save you a lot of time, energy, and concern.
    Feel free to let us know more of what you will be looking for, how much time you have in Fbks, how you will get around Fbks, and we may be able to help you refine your search.

I have lived in Fairbanks for 35 years and am still looking for a one stop store that has it all. You will be lucky to find everything you need in the city let alone one store. Pretty much all the stores have been listed and the "sportsmans warehouse" has added a lot to our needs. I always had to order my turkey hunting supplies before they showed up and stocked them.

Default Where are the turkeys?

Come on R Raven, I was born here way before your 35 years. I haven't found any feathered turkeys to hunt yet. You gotta share the spot. It's not fair keeping them to yourself.
    As for things Alaskan, I normally can find what I need here now as compared to years past. I do lots less shopping mail order than I did.
    Most of what the hunters from Outside will need are the banned items they can not ship and the occasional mind fart item they missed.
    For those of you coming up for an Alaskan adventure, I can only urge that you pay close attention to what we think works. There are lots of folks on this forum with good advice that comes from years of experience.
    A final word on your trip. Assuming you are bringing highly valuable items like guns, optics, cameras etc, hand carry everything you possibly can on the plane. The rest fill out a complete inventory of each pair of underwear on up. Talk to your airline in advance to determine the steps to purchase "replacement cost protection" insurance for those items. The cost is minimal, and their wiggle room goes away when you don't use the insurance supplied with your ticket.

Default thanks

AK River Rat, thanks for the info and the suggestions. You always take penty of time make full and comploete posts and supplying info. I think that you must type 100 wpm. I'll check on the insurance.