Thread: truck ramps

Default truck ramps

Looking for ramps to ride the 4wheeler into the back of a truck.

Anyone have suggestions of something available in town.

Sportsmans Warehouse or Alaska Industrial Hardware are a couple.

Thanks, didn't think of either as a source.

When I bought mine, I bought them from Sams Club.

Don't buy steel ones. Alum is the only way to go. Them HEAVY steel ones are a pain, had some and used them a few times and then hauled them to the dump and threw them away.

Default got mine

from home depot aluminium work good
    also get ones with strap to bumper hook up

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    from home depot aluminium work good
    also get ones with strap to bumper hook up
    I agree. If you've ever used one, you're always a little leary (because you see it happening) of the tabs slipping off of the tailgate. I had a strap for the longest time and just started using it and it makes it a whole lot less stressful. Just hook one end to the ramp and put the other end with a loop over your ball hitch. Its worth the 10 seconds it takes to hook it up. Sorry to be "MR. SAFETY MAN" but just thought i'd share!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I agree. If you've ever used one, you're always a little leary (because you see it happening) of the tabs slipping off of the tailgate. I had a strap for the longest time and just started using it and it makes it a whole lot less stressful. Just hook one end to the ramp and put the other end with a loop over your ball hitch. Its worth the 10 seconds it takes to hook it up. Sorry to be "MR. SAFETY MAN" but just thought i'd share!
    You couldn't be more right. I witnessed two friends in the last couple of years have the ramp slip off while unloading. The guy just messed up the rear plastic. The girl got pinned under the machine when it flipped backwards. They are the only people I've seen not strap down the ramps and they sure do now

Thanks for the reply's.

Sportsmans has the best deal in town if any one else is looking.

And yes the straps are a must.

Default ramps

We bought ours from Home Depot and just added a bit of aluminum bar to reinforce them. Work great.

Default ramps

Bought a pair of the aluminum foldable ramps at Wal-Mart for $90...initially a little worried my Griz would be too much for them...NO PROBLEMS...work great and fold up so I can throw them in my cab while riding and not have to worry about them getting ripped off....

Definatly want to secure ramps. You can also drill top of ramp and trailer and drop a pin. Easier than straps. I am thinkig about buying foldable ramps and taking them on the trail. Thought they may become usefull for any really tough mud holes. Has anyone done this before?

Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Barlinator View Post
    Definatly want to secure ramps. You can also drill top of ramp and trailer and drop a pin. Easier than straps. I am thinkig about buying foldable ramps and taking them on the trail. Thought they may become usefull for any really tough mud holes. Has anyone done this before?

Barley
    Seems like a lot of weight and bulk to carry with you. Just go with another buddy and make sure you both have winches....

As far as putting them in your cab when you've unloaded, I didn't want to rip the leather in my pickup (I did in my brothers and it wasn't cheap to replace!!), so I just park on mine now. May bow it a little but better than losing it to a theif!

Default AIH

Has them on sale for $110 right now...

Just get the ramp kits and a couple of treated 2x8's 2x10's and make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Just get the ramp kits and a couple of treated 2x8's 2x10's and make your own.
    Ditto..

I like being able to make them 6', 8', 10' whatever and the 2x6's that I used hold my 900 lb 6x6 without any problem.

I bought my Bro-in-law an aluminum tri-fold that was supposed to be good to 1,000lbs and his 6x6 is tearing it up, especially the tabs that rest on the tailgate.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Don't go to short on them....

After a long day in the seat the wheelie heading toward the cab of your truck may be a little "too" sporty. :-)
    And ditto on the strap - a must.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default AIH

Go to AIH on Viking...not one of the major stores...best deal in town....I paid $90 for the trifold...it's the shorter one and you can close the tailgate on your short bed truck once you're loaded.

I opted for the longer tri-fold set and they are definately worth the extra cost. I even wish they were six inches longer. I have wheelied my brute into the bed of chevy on occasion with these "extended" ramps. I couldn't imagine the trouble I would get myself in with the shorter set.

The LONG do it yourself ramps are nice. Maybe I should market a long ramps with safety straps. I find it ironic backing the wheeler off the truck scares me more than ripping through the Knik flats at 60mph.

Default Watch the Alum

My set of alum broke off all 4 of the clips on that rest on the tail gate. I had it strapped down. when the wheeler droped it cost me a tail gate on a superduty. this was not a six wheeler it was a traxter. good luck