Thread: 3 Bulls in the freezer!!

Thumbs up 3 Bulls in the freezer!!

Well, we got back to Anchorage about 1:30pm yesterday. We drove straight through from Happy Valley, 16.5 hours later we got home. LONG drive!! We saw 80 in one herd the day we landed and after that it was very slow. Dad got his on our first day of hunting and brother and I got ours on day 3. Ours were quite a bit smaller than the ones we got last year, but it was getting to the point that we weren't going to be to picky. Other that the big bunch on day 1 it was pretty slow. I think we were just a couple days early. It was raining for brother's and my bulls. We just got back to camp and had 5 very large bulls just north of camp about 500 yards. When the pilot landed, he said they were very nice bulls. We were happy just getting meat for the freezer. Camp was pretty uneventful seeing no other critters. The constantly changing weather gave us some great views. Driving home we did see a big boar just north of the pass and a gray wolf near PS 5 and lots of owls but that was just about it. Will try to get some pics posted today.
    EricL

Good Job!

Thanks for the update. The weather was just starting to turn rainy when we left on the area on 13th. I was wondering how the animals were going to behave with the change in weather.

BTW, Did you ever hear what the smoke around Happy Valley was from? We never found out where the fire was.

Default pictures...

please...&where the heck did you see 80 moose/or caribou?

Nice, we are putting away moose also for the freezer that we shot a couple days ago. Wish it were caribou though, that would be great!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default deltana sheep

ericL, did deltana have any sheep horns in camp yet before you left? I'll be there on the 26th. good hunt. lets see the pictures. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Good Job!

Thanks for the update. The weather was just starting to turn rainy when we left on the area on 13th. I was wondering how the animals were going to behave with the change in weather.

BTW, Did you ever hear what the smoke around Happy Valley was from? We never found out where the fire was.
    The bou are really starting to move into the area. Even had a bunch on the runway when we were attempting to land. They said they had about 3000 move through on Tuesday or Wednesday. Never saw any smoke around Happy Valley. Did see it south of the Brooks going in, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    please...&where the heck did you see 80 moose/or caribou?
    It was caribou. They were about 2.5 miles from camp. We were able to watch them for about an hour. There were 6-8 very nice bulls in the group. They were up on a hill trying to escape the bugs!! Bug net and spotting scope, best tools to have!!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Nice, we are putting away moose also for the freezer that we shot a couple days ago. Wish it were caribou though, that would be great!
    We are pretty happy to get some meat. Went through last years animal pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    ericL, did deltana have any sheep horns in camp yet before you left? I'll be there on the 26th. good hunt. lets see the pictures. thanks
    Ralph told us that they had 2 sheep hunters connect and 2 that missed their opportunities. The other outfitter up there had a sheep confiscated. Bad deal to bring one back that doesn't measure up when the trooper is right next door!!
    EricL

Here is a shot of Dad's first bou and first Alaskan animal. This was the main goal of the hunt!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricL

And here are a couple shots of brother's bou and my "deekie bou". He ought to be tender!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricL

Really neat to have such a successful hunt with your father and brother. What a great family experience! Looks like your dad is getting up there in age and how awesome is it he got his first alaskan animal! I hope you all have many more successful hunts together.

schmidty

Default Contacted to book 08

Enjoy the Dad Good for u guys!

Eric

Did you think you were getting the same area as the guided hunters?

Why only 1? Can you shoot another?

PM me and lets talk

Thanks Louie

Hey congrats man! I am hoping to make it up this year. Will have to see how work goes. I really need the meat!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice Caribou. Congrats.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nice, and with the velvet still on the antlers they will be nice and tender no matter how big.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!