Thread: black bears

Default black bears

Can anyone tell me roughly how far into the resurrection trail entering from hope do you have to be before it opens up enough to be able to spot bears on the hills. I have never been up the hope side and was considering going in this weekend for a chance at a possible spot and stalk hunt for blackie.
    Is the trail pretty overgrown until you get above treeline?. Do you ever spot blacks on the trail?.
    Thanks for any help.

You can spot bears on the trail, but it's at least 4-5 miles before it really starts opening up. I know that people keep suggesting going from the Hope side, but it seems like the visibility and berry quantity is better from other access points. That being said, I've hiked in from the Summit trailhead at least 10 times and have only seen a bear up in that alpine area once.

Used to pack in with horses from Coopers Landing side. Seen Black Bears close to the Keni River, and occasionally spotted them on or near the trail all the way up to Juneau Lake. From Juneau Lake to Swan Lake, they are easy to spot up on the hills above tree line. Cann't remember how far, just remember it was a long way.

Default resurrection black bears

If memory serves me correct find Wolf creek and Cannon or Cannonball Creek
    on your map. From there seeing lots of black bears was easy. Also from the 1st forest service cabin on downstream towards Hope. However, the valley is low and the mountains are high. That area has had some controlled and maybe uncontrolled burns and there is a lot of deadfall and post fire debris
    strown about the mountain side. Tough climbing up and down the mountains
    in that kind of stuff, but it is possible. Good luck.

Default Highway

I know it sounds lazy, but you have just as much a chance of spotting a bear off the highway around Summit Lake Lodge. You won't feel lazy if you spot one and have to climb up to him though!! Also, I have heard Palmer Creek Road is good out of Hope.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Palmer Creek road in Hope?

Anyone ever tried this?? I take it you can see quite a few berry bushes?

I'd love to give that a try some weekend now that schools started...

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Palmer Creek road in Hope?
    I've spent a lot of time up Palmer Creek Road and have only seen one black bear. It seems like there should be a lot of them in there, but...I just haven't seen them like I would expect.

Brian,

Would you suggest trying glassing around the lodge or somewhere else?
    Are there any trails that are doable in a weekend??

Really just want somewhere I can hunt black bears on the weekends.

thanks

Jon

There are plenty of trails that are doable in a weekend. Devil's Pass, Summit, and Lost Lake are all good options. I've also seen a lot of bears just glassing from the highway between the northern end of Johnson Pass and Tern Lake. Really, you can find bears just about anywhere up there if you spend plenty of time glassing.

I may give it a shot on a Saturday or Sunday in late September or early October. If you haven't taken one by then, I wouldn't mind a partner.

Brian,
    Sounds good, and thanks for the advice. I'm gonna give it a try end of the first or second week of September I think. Hopefully I'll hook up with one.
    If not, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you pack yours out

Jon