Thread: Highway Angler -or- Roadside Angler's Guide?

Default Highway Angler -or- Roadside Angler's Guide?

Which of Gunnar Pedersen's books is better, "The Highway Angler" or the "Roadside Angler's Guide"? How are they different? It's hard to tell by the descriptions... Both the titles and the descriptions sound like reworded versions of the same thing to me.

Thx,
    Brian

Thumbs up Books

I believe the the Highway Angler is the older edition of two similar books. Also the Roadside Guide contains specific references to local businesses that are basically recommendations because they were asked to be in the book. The businesses are ones the author has had good experiences and/or knows them by reputation atleast. I would get the Roadside guide because I beleive it is the most up to date and has the bonus information. I do not have the Roadside Guide but have found the Highway Angler to be both accurate and helpful.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    I believe the the Highway Angler is the older edition of two similar books. Also the Roadside Guide contains specific references to local businesses that are basically recommendations because they were asked to be in the book. The businesses are ones the author has had good experiences and/or knows them by reputation atleast. I would get the Roadside guide because I beleive it is the most up to date and has the bonus information. I do not have the Roadside Guide but have found the Highway Angler to be both accurate and helpful.
    Greg
    Thanks!

Brian

Default Wow, great timing!

My wife just happened to surprise me last evening with both! Having had the older version of the Highway Angler, I can say this...It was a great way of learning where, when, and how to fish in Alaska. The Roadside guide has more pretty color pictures and information on surrrounding info like lodging, etc. The latest version of the HA has more locations with directions, and to me, seems the one to have. Both together kind of supplement each other and are well worth the money......if you don't have a boat! ;-) I j

Default highway angler

My wife bought the highway angler last month, i believe it is the 5th edition. It is truly an amazing book. I would highly recommend the Highway Angler.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    My wife bought the highway angler last month, i believe it is the 5th edition. It is truly an amazing book. I would highly recommend the Highway Angler.

Jake
    I could've sworn that I had the Highway Angler but I've been over my bookshelves about 5 times and just can't seem to find it. It'll show up 5 minutes after I buy a new one.

Does anybody in Fairbanks or Anchorage (where I'll be this weekend) know where you can buy one locally?

Brian

Default highway angler

She bought it at Barnes and Nobles. Well worth the $19.95 investment. It makes it nice to be able to find exact directions to a river/lake when you read a good fishing report, it gives directions to tons of places, which fish are present at different times of the year, how good the fishing is, and the most common tackle.

I bought my HA at sportsmans warehouse. A must have for anyone fishing off the road system!

Default Either one

The second book is a first addition and the pictures are NICE. Wish I would have had the insight to advertise in there as well but hey Life is short.

Both are excellent sources of information Sportsmans, B&N, FWW PX, Eielson BX all have it or at least had it a couple fo weeks ago.

Tight Lines

You guys made it too hard to decide. I ordered the Roadside Guide from theA Alaska Outdoors book store, and I just bought the Highway Angler from Sportsman's (on Dimond?). I checked the book for every lake and river that I could spot from the Parks on the way back to Fairbanks yesterday (18-1/2 hour long round-trip 'yesterday') and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the HA had everything in it ...even little stuff like the Jack River, with instructions like "Crosses highway. Turn left onto gravel road. Go 0.7 miles. Flies and spinners for Grayling." Not bad. My compliments to Gunnar et al.

Brian

Talking Roadside Angler

The Roadside Angler is an outstanding book because the author used pictures of local anglers submitted by his readers. He is also building a website that will contain pictures and a message board.

Ron

Alaska fishing on a budget by Bernard ??? Is another really good book for the shorebound angler It is published by Amato books.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Alaska fishing on a budget by Bernard ??? Is another really good book for the shorebound angler It is published by Amato books.
    Thanks ...looks like my winter reading is starting to stack up! 1-year legal in 11 more days (just moved back to Alaska last year ...tryin' to get tuned in. First years here were drinking and partying ...not so much fishing and zero hunting, but that was 25 years ago and I'm smarter now ...I hope.)

Brian

Default Alaskan Fishing Books for Anglers...

Your webmaster does a crack job of stocking his bookstore on this site with what's available. There are a number of authors, and we have different styles and take different slants dependent upon our interest and experience.

Scroll us out and take a look. Whatever you need, we pretty much cover.

I did the AK book on mainland budget fishing in 2003. I followed it with the more specific book on the Kodiak opportunity in 2006. Others will come as I finish out my last year in public education and then have more time for my continuing research.

My thanks to those who have enjoyed what I have completed so far...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Interior Rivers

Anyone know of a book that focuses on interior rivers? We need an Alaskan Jet boat fishing book of the same caliber of Highway Angler. I have dificulty even getting up to date maps let alone info on most of the interior water ways. I can't even find Wood River (off the Tanana) on the internet.

Default Highway Angler

Just got my copy of the Highway Angler. It is awesome. I can't believe the information that is packed in it. It says that "The Roadside Angler focuses on the more popular fisheries and covers them in utmost detail". Whereas the Highway Angler covers 750 different fisheries. I will say though that the Highway Angler packs a ton of info in it.

Highly recommend it!

Check out what this guy got on ebay

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-...m=330156478674
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    I did the AK book on mainland budget fishing in 2003. I followed it with the more specific book on the Kodiak opportunity in 2006. Others will come as I finish out my last year in public education and then have more time for my continuing research.

My thanks to those who have enjoyed what I have completed so far...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I apologize for forgetting your last name. Great book!