Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Range Plane Crash

Unhappy Brooks Range Plane Crash

Oh man... bad deal. Prayers for this young man and his family and friends. I bet someone around here knows them or is one relationship away. What a tough deal....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Can you post the story? It wont let me read it unless I sign up and I won't sign up with the "anchorage failing news".

Istead of posting a copyrighted story, how about a link to the same story on ktuu.com.

Default Fallen Fellow Sheep Hunters

The two men in question, Steve Wilson and Eric Lochman, both of Gustavus. Both men were good friends, neighbors and businessmen as well as being avid outdoorsmen and sheep hunters. They will be sorely missed and our heartfelt condolances go out to their families.

Default Sad to hear

What a sad story this is. Our thought and prayers go to not only the family, but to their freinds as well.

Wow. My dad called me this afternoon to let me know about Steve. I don't know Eric, but my family has been friends with the Wilsons forever. I don't know what to say other than to echo what Sheep Hunter said above. They will be missed by many.

Eric and I went to high school together in Kodiak nearly 20 years ago. He was a few years older than me and I didn't know him well. It was only recently that I learned he was a very serious hunter and has hunted sheep in the Brooks a number of times.

Thank you Brian. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends from ours.

Simply sad. Two crashes in one day.. Yesterday was a bad day
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sorry I don't know how to add in the proper link style, but here is the latest. Steve was a friend, and a very close friend to a lot of my family. Just saw him last month. Big guy even took the poker tournament we played in. Very sad.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...70817027.shtml

very sad news. having lost friends in a hunting related plane crash myself all i can say is my thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those who were lost

I didn't know Steve very well, but the few times we met it was obvious he loved Alaska, was a good friend, and a fun guy. The crash is a ****ed shame.

Default I know them also

I know the boy real well, as he lives with his mom here in the winter. This had to just about crush him. His mother was just diagnosed as having cancer recently. I hope many prayers can be said for him and his family.

Ltlbucks

My name is Josh Cozby, and I live next door to my best friend Steve Wilson in Gustavus, AK who just passed away this week. I also know Eric as well, he was a great guy to have in our town. Steve and I have known each other for about 24 years. He became my best friend through all of those years, and I dont know how I will ever replace him. He was certainly one of a kind. He was the inspiration to me getting my pilots license, and I absolutely love it. He watched over me like a big brother or even a dad when it came to flying. It was a side of him that I had never seen from him before, he always was concerned for my safety and gave me all the confidence I needed and believed that I was going to be good, and I cant tell you how much that meant to me coming from a pilot and friend as good as he was. He was amazing. He was always there to help me whenever I needed anythig, he always had my back in any situation, and nobody could make me laugh harder than he would with the stupid things he woud say. We had each other in tears from laughing so hard more times than I can count. We took a lot of trips together, hunted together, flew together, and just hung out and kept each other company all the time. I have definitely lost my best friend this week and its going to take a long time to accept. It was a horrible tragedy, but I just pray for him and his family and friends and his amazing son Mickey who has had to survive through all of this on his own for several days up in the mountains. He is an amazing kid and he represents his dad better than anyone ever could. I am so grateful that we still have him around. This is something that nobody should ever have to go thru. Myself and sooo many others are going to miss Steve and Eric very much. But at least he passed away doing what he loved the very most, and that was flying his airplane in Alaska! He loved that more than anything, and you could just see it on his face every time he went out. I am so grateful to know a man as great as Steve was. I could only hope to be loved, remembered, and appreciated as much as he was... He was truly AMAZING!!!! Im going to miss you buddy....

Thank you for giving us a chance to know a little about Steve. I feel like he was a friend of mine. Steve sounds like the kind man we all wish we could be, and at the very least the person we all try to associate ourselves with. Looking at the miniscule amount this incident really affects me, I can only imagine how this loss is going to affect all the people in Steve's life.

A person who I consider to be one of my best friends stopped over at my house tonight. I don't know what I would do if tomorrow he just wasn't here. Please accept my deepest sympathies for the family's loss, and your own.

We outdoorsmen have to accept the possible consequences of the activities we love.

-Eric

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cozman View Post
    My name is Josh Cozby, and I live next door to my best friend Steve Wilson in Gustavus, AK who just passed away this week...... Im going to miss you buddy....
    We're all very sorry for your loss, Josh. I'm sure Gustavus as a community is hurting pretty bad over this. Let the folks there know we're praying for you all.

I would like to echo what Josh Cosby said. I have known Steve Wilson since 2001. My wife and I spent that summer working for a lodge in Gustavus and have been close friends with Steve ever since. She and I have visited Gustavus most years since in 2001 and he always took us in like family for sometimes several days or weeks at a time. He'd give us a bed (air mattress), food (mostly deer), make Josh take us out on his boat, and chauffeur us around town in his multi-dented, blue Geo Metro. It was always the perfect vacation. I flew with him numerous times and the safest that I have ever felt in a plane was always with Steve. He was a great pilot.

Steve was a special, generous character who dearly loved his family and his friends. For me, Gustavus and Alaska will never be the same. He was truly a unique individual who lived life to the fullest and embodied everything that is great and free about Alaska. I am really going to miss him.

God bless the Wilson family, the Lochman family and the people of Gustavus. This is a tremendous loss for them all.

Marty Turner

Default life

I was fortunate to hunt with steve on numerious ocasions. We hunted deer, caribou, sheep, moose and goats together over the past 12 years. He always made sacrifices to make sure that his friends could experience Alaska the way he did. I was with him on one of his first sheep hunts and will always remember it. Like josh, steve made me laugh so hard we cried on numerious occasions. He was a great pilot, and I was never afraid to fly with him. I will deinately miss him. Please say a prayer for steve and his family, and Kathy who lost her husband and best friend.

Two years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer I had to pretty much give up all hunting and fishing and I thought life sucked. Thursday I found out it was back and needed surgury, again I thought life sucked. Friday when I found out about Steve and Erik, I learned it always can be worse. Life is to short, enjoy every day like it is your last.

Default life

I was fortunate to hunt with steve on numerious ocasions. We hunted deer, caribou, sheep, moose and goats together over the past 12 years. He always made sacrifices to make sure that his friends could experience Alaska the way he did. I was with him on one of his first sheep hunts and will always remember it. Like josh, steve made me laugh so hard we cried on numerious occasions. He was a great pilot, and I was never afraid to fly with him. I will deinately miss him. Please say a prayer for steve and his family, and Kathy who lost her husband and best friend.

Two years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer I had to pretty much give up all hunting and fishing and I thought life sucked. Thursday I found out it was back and needed surgury, again I thought life sucked. Friday when I found out about Steve and Erik, I learned it always can be worse. Life is to short, enjoy every day like it is your last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast