Thread: Unit 20C Moose questions

Default Unit 20C Moose questions

I am new to this forum and I'm in need of some info concerning 20C. I have contacted a couple of wildlife biologists and due and they both suggested this unit for Moose. If anyone has any experience hunting this area or any suggstions for a longbow totin' greenhorn, I would appreciate it.
    First off, I have bowhunted for 30 years, the last 20 with recurves and longbows. I have hunted black bear, Caribou and whitetail with better than average success, BUT I know that Alaska is a whole new ballgame. My son is planning a 10 trip to hike/photograph in Denali and has offered to foot the travel bill for the old man. The proximity of 20C to Denali is one of the things that makes this unit appealling to me. The trip will be in 2008 and I will need a year to get all of my ducks in a row and try to make this happen. Any feedback will be helpful-Thanks, Mike

As no one has responded I will tell you what I do know. I don't know that any help i offer will be help as I have never hunted the area, but i have flownover it a lot and have also studied it for potential. i belive the lower Kantishna is hunted pretty hard by jet boats, but it might be possible to fly in to Kantishna which has a strip and can be chartered out of Mckinley area and is out of the park.and float down to the main Kantishna river which originates in Minchumina. There is a stream ? whicih access river fromKantishna proper. The Tokalot had some good lucking habitat along it also. The main book (not hunting) on floating rivers, don't remember name but you can find it at library it is out of print has this float listed. That seemed to me the best way to access the area unlessyou use boat. Good luck.

Thanks for your response! I will check on finding the book. Mike

Default Have you considered 20A?

The AkDFG has been issuing special permits (in what we call a registration hunt) for 2 years now to try to reduce the moose population in Unit 20A.
    Whatever you end up trying, come as late in the season as you can, and practice your moose calls. Moose calling is pretty easy, and it really works.

:}

PS The book Bodak is referring to is titled "The Alaska River Guide" by Karen Jettmar. Publisher is Ak Northwest Books

Default 20c

As raven1 said 20A probably has more moose between fairbanks and the foot hills than any area in alaska. Most are hunted by airboat down low, some 4 wheeler, and supercub strips. There is an archery only area in Healy and that area near the road does have moose. They problem with hunting moose on foot is what do you do with it. They are really big to pack. That is why floating is good. Only shoot one near the river. You could even get dropped off by supercub in Fred's old area of the west fork of the little Delta. i was there staking mining claims for a co this summer and saw sheep and moose.

Just my opinion but trying to access the areas described from Kantishna proper via Moose Creek is simply unreasonable from a time and logistical standpoint, if you are here to hunt and not just recreate. Flying into Minchumina by air taxi with your inflatable boat is your best bet, and paying attention to the park and preserve boundaries to stay legal too!

For an out-of-state person to try to hunt the west side of 20C, unguided...well...all I can say is...wow! Good luck! A lot of logistical hurdles. On the other hand there is highway access to the eastern parts of 20C, and there is moose, but also a lot of hunters.