Thread: Solution for my jet boat

Default Solution for my jet boat

I need a solution for two things on my jet boat. It is 25 feet, 10 feet wide. I have taken it in Seward a bunch of times, but I plan to use it in PWS, Homer, Valdez. I'll try to attach a photo, but I would like to attach a small raft to the top and also have rod holders on top like a lot of salt water boats have. Basically I would like to have a rack on it to hold the raft too, (It's a soft top). If anyone has a solution for this, or a place for me to go to buy one or have one made, that would be great. I'm in Anchorage, but I don't mind going to another town to have it done. Thanks if you can.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Hello Wildog, With the weather we have in Alaska break down and have a hard top put on. I did it this year after years of owning the boat and fixed everything I didn't like about the old set up. Found a great welder in Fairbanks told him what I wanted and it came out to my expectations. Spent 2 weeks in PWS living on the boat this summer with out a drop of spray or rain hitting me. I had him build it with a flat top and a rack for carrying accessories. I told him I wanted to be able to have dances up there so it is stout. I wish I had done it years ago.

You could have a tubular, welded frame built around your soft top. This would work fine, but as Rambling Raven suggested, a hard top is tough top beat on AK waters. It would be an expensive project, too. I would recommend talking with Dave at Heavy Weather boats here in Anchorage. He does outstanding work and is a very easy to deal with.

1200 W Dowling Rd # E
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    (907) 349-4325
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Rod-Raft Rack

I took these photo's of a rack I saw in Valdez. The guy who owns the boat said that a local there in Valdez made it for him. It has hard points welded to the hull and a few bolts hold it on. I'm sure the same thing could be done on a scale large enough to hold a raft. Take care not to get it too top heavy.

Good Luck Steve

DMC Welding in Anchorage. Ted, the owner, is a great fabricator. He has done a couple of different custom projects that were very impressive.

He keeps his Argo around the shop. He has a complete custom rack system built on it. He has done a couple of projects for me, one project no else would touch and it turned out way better then my expectations.

He moved his shop and I don't have his new address but here is a number to reach him at 360-9044.

I second the hard top idea. Finally bought my boat this spring and new that was what I wanted as soon as I started looking. Got tired of having canvas tops growing up. No matter how well they are sealed water still finds its way inside.

But if you don't do that then there is always the bolt on or welded on roof racks made of aluminum tube.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Hello Wildog, With the weather we have in Alaska break down and have a hard top put on. I did it this year after years of owning the boat and fixed everything I didn't like about the old set up. Found a great welder in Fairbanks told him what I wanted and it came out to my expectations. Spent 2 weeks in PWS living on the boat this summer with out a drop of spray or rain hitting me. I had him build it with a flat top and a rack for carrying accessories. I told him I wanted to be able to have dances up there so it is stout. I wish I had done it years ago.
    Could you put a picture of your hard top on here? Who did the work and what did it cost? I've been considering this too for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Could you put a picture of your hard top on here? Who did the work and what did it cost? I've been considering this too for some time now.
    Here is a couple before and after pictures. As soon as hunting season is over I am going to sit down with all the receipts and make a list of the production to include cost and sources and post it. I had a lot more work done than just the top as I was refurbishing a 27 year old boat so I have to separate receipts.
    *Karolds Welding in Fairbanks did the aluminum - around $4000 for the large top I had done.
    *Custom Canvas did the back canvass
    * I ordered the windows from different places to fill my needs and finished the work myself.

Very nice job indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Default oops

My earlier post said "here are some before and after pictures" and I forgot the "before" pictures so here they are:

Smile racks

go down to alaska steel in anchorage, they have all sorts of aluminum rack kits that are bolt on, exactly what you are looking for. I am thinking about adding one to mine, but that is way down the want list right now. Got to add the kicker with remote start/tilt/steer, and the GPS/sounder, and the......well the list goes on.