Thread: Elliott Highway Advice

Default Elliott Highway Advice

Hello AK hunters,

I am looking for some advice on what I can realistically expect from a 5 day hunt off the Elliott highway for moose this year. I don't have more time off from work unfortunately but am looking forward to the time out that I do have. I was thinking of a walk in perhaps a mile or so somewhere off the road after the Haul Road cutoff, maybe halfway or so down before Eureka. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just some general ideas if anyone out there has them or specifically what to avoid. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've hunted caribou before and packed out for other people's moose, so I know what's invloved and the limits one can extend themselves. Many thanks.

Dan

Red face Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by alderwillow View Post
    Hello AK hunters,

I am looking for some advice on what I can realistically expect from a 5 day hunt off the Elliott highway for moose this year. I don't have more time off from work unfortunately but am looking forward to the time out that I do have. I was thinking of a walk in perhaps a mile or so somewhere off the road after the Haul Road cutoff, maybe halfway or so down before Eureka. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just some general ideas if anyone out there has them or specifically what to avoid. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've hunted caribou before and packed out for other people's moose, so I know what's invloved and the limits one can extend themselves. Many thanks.

Dan
    There are some recent burned areas between the Manley turn off and the road to Eureka that aren't far from the road...actually some right on the road. Maybe work those areas if you'r only looking at getting off the road a little ways. Just a quick idea.... Good luck.

Thanks AK145. I do appreciate that recommendation and I think I know the area you're referring to. I have a one-man tent, decent sleeping bag and other light gear so I would be able to overnight for a few days if I thought I was into a decent spot, or alternatively could move around a little bit and explore different spots. I know that it sounds a little like taking a walk in the dark, but I'm hoping that with a little work I may stumble on a moosey pocket and enjoy a good hunt. Thanks for the pointer.

Dan

Mark

The area is hunted hard by the Fairbanks folks, and I found that they have interesting tactics:

They have a big motorhome camp in a gravel pit near trailheads, and before the season they send someone up the trail to set up tents at prime glassing/viewing areas. Then they tag-team their occupation at the hunting sites.

We had a tactic that should have defeated their tactic. We found a location where glassing an entire valley produced visual sightings of bulls, and we had the rig that could reach them (Argo). The problem was that the season there (at least at that time) ended on the 15th, and when we walked into the area and tried to call our way up to the bulls, they weren't responding to the calls.

Good to know. Perhaps I'll look out for that and try to get away from if I can. Dan

I've shot bulls off the highway from 23 mile up to 110 mile. I've also got them by taking quads back in 25 miles off the road.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd,

Many thanks. That's encouraging to hear. I do need to get a quad one day. Dan

I drive through there very year on my way to the river and it is not only the Fairbanks folks that hunt the area but people from everywhere in the state. There are 4 wheelers and camps everywhere in the accessible areas and running up and down the road in the rest of it. Don't forget the Minto Management area is closed which closes one side of the road in that area. Great country but pretty over run for 15 days a year.

Rambling Raven is correct.

Both the Steese and the Elliott draw hunters from all over Alaska. I hunt the Elliott, and see guys from Anchorage all the time, right in the area I hunt. I have made some friends through the years from some of these folks, including a whole bunch of Army and AF guys. Keep in mind that we have an Eielson AFB, Fort Greely, Fort Weinwright, and Clear Station nearby.

Success rate is very low, of course. For example, out of approximately 40 hunters in the trail system I hunt, perhaps five to eight moose total (valley and ridge) are taken in period of two weeks, and mostly from the water in valleys down below. Argos are popular in this area, while ATV's are OK on the ridge. But on the ridge from one to two moose are killed each year or so. Last year one moose was killed on the ridge, and two the previous year. I haven't killed a moose for the past three years, but killed one each year before the Elliott was paved. Sometimes I have to tell other hunters (folks I don't know) to move away from the spot I am watching, because they have no idea I am there hidden in the brush, and can't fire my rifle if they are there in front of my field of view.

Since the Elliott is now paved out to Livingood, there are people all over the place on ATV's and automobiles. Some are berry picking, while most are looking for moose. Back in 2001 or so when F&G created the antler restriction for the Tanana Flats, the whole town moved to the Elliott and Steese, but it was not too crowded last year, maybe because of the all disappointed hunters for the past few years.

Alot of that area is owned by the natives now. Check before you go because they were leave papers on vehicles letting people know.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    ......Back in 2001 or so when F&G created the antler restriction for the Tanana Flats, the whole town moved to the Elliott and Steese, but it was not too crowded last year, maybe because of the all disappointed hunters for the past few years.
    The reg change did make a big difference.

The season there is too short and too early. We saw bulls from afar, knew right were they were, walked in, and still couldn't kick them up.

Until (which will be never) the season there goes at least until the 20th, it just ain't worth the effort.