Thread: Retortable pouch smoked salmon

Default Retortable pouch smoked salmon

Retortable pouch smoked salmon doesn't need to be refrigerated until the pouch is opened. This would be a lot easier to travel around with.

Is anyone familiar with a processor close to Anchorage/Kenai Peninsula that can do this? If so what are the particulars (price, wait time, minimum weight).

I've used "Smoked Alaska" just north of Wasilla on the highway, if that helps. He does a good job.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Question What is "Retortable pouch smoked salmon "

"Retortable pouch smoked salmon " I've never heard of this what is it? it sounds convenient though. What is the flavor/texture/moisture content like?

Default "Smoked Alaska"

As stated, Smoked Alaska does the retort pouches. They are located at Mile 45.5 Parks Highway. Phone (907) 376-3983. Nice guy to talk with and he will tell you how to bring in your fish.

The King Salmon Gods haven't smiled on me, so he hasn't done any of mine. He did give me a couple of samples. One was a spicy blend and the other was more of a traditional smoked. Both were excellent.

Both were on the "wet" side of the moisture scale. Lots of juice, but not mushy.

Be prepared for sticker shock. I think it would be worth the $.

Currently in my local stores tuna, chicken and smoked oysters are available in retort pouches.

Since they don't require refrigeration, they are ideal to take camping or anywhere outdoors. They don't have the weight of a canned product, since the pouch doesn't weight that much.

You can ship the bags in the mail and not have to worry about freezing/defrosting like you would traditional smoked fish.

Maybe if more people asked for retort pouches the smart companies would respond by offering the service.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    "Retortable pouch smoked salmon " I've never heard of this what is it? it sounds convenient though. What is the flavor/texture/moisture content like?
    It's just like canned salmon. It's fully cooked or smoked, then put on a mylar sheet and sealed.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default Pouched Product...

I have had my share given to me as gifts. I found the fish to be less than desireable, and the product within wound up being used as a base in salmon-pasta salads.

My experiences so far are on the mushy side of the scale...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default as gifts?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    I have had my share given to me as gifts. I found the fish to be less than desireable, and the product within wound up being used as a base in salmon-pasta salads.

My experiences so far are on the mushy side of the scale...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    Quite the contrary in my opinion.

I have given many gifts of commercial pouch (vacuum sealed) salmon to my family and friends who live outside and it has always been very much appreciated. These folks canít afford to make the trip to Alaska every summer to fill there freezers full of fresh caught wild Alaska salmon like some, so maybe they just arenít so picky. I am sure fresh caught smoked salmon would be preferable and I have, in the past sent my own home caught and smoked jars of Yukon King salmon off as gifts. The problem doing so leaves me to continually restock my supply of jars. Not a problem for most. But for me, living so far from the nearest village store (not to mention a real supermarket), makes that difficult most of the time. So, best for me to pick up some of that commercial Alaska wild smoked salmon in pouches when I do get to town or order off the internet and send those off instead of my own homemade. Also, it is lighter, no chance of a jar breaking and with the major increase in postage now a days, well it just makes sense. The folks and friends love it and always ask for more.

Just my 2 cents,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing the information I will have to give it the taste test I love this website