Thread: Adak Caribou

Default Adak Caribou

Hello,

Anyone out there hunted Adak. I've got a co-worker that is planning a hunt in early sept and needs info on where to get dropped off by the transporter boat and what to expect during the hunt.

Thanks everyone.

Default Adak Info

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Hello,

Anyone out there hunted Adak. I've got a co-worker that is planning a hunt in early sept and needs info on where to get dropped off by the transporter boat and what to expect during the hunt.

Thanks everyone.
    Hi there,

Take a look through the forum archives on this one. We've discussed Adak caribou hunting many times here and you'll find a lot of helpful information there.

I have hunted Adak and contributed to several of those threads.

What transporter is your friend using?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default ADAK Hunt

Just did a 2 day hunt there in June. It was a group of us that went out and had 13 bou come back. One was a nice bull and the rest were young'ns (yielding about of 60 pounds of boned out meat each) to fill the freezers. We were at the Bay of Waterfalls and the terrain was quite forgiving compared to anywhere else I have hunted. Watch for the sink holes or you may literally find yourself over your head and possibly injured. It was really nice being able to hunt and not having to worry about being hunted. On the first day I spotted two bou 100 yds from the beach while in the boat and made a stalk within 50 yards before pulling the trigger. Wish I had my bow... The second day was socked in with fog. We could have had animals within 10 yards and not known it. Every one who hunted shot an animal so the odds are pretty good. Be careful in the fog not to get turned around. Good luck!

Default Question-

Quote Originally Posted by mweisenbaugh View Post
    Just did a 2 day hunt there in June. It was a group of us that went out and had 13 bou come back. One was a nice bull and the rest were young'ns (yielding about of 60 pounds of boned out meat each) to fill the freezers. We were at the Bay of Waterfalls and the terrain was quite forgiving compared to anywhere else I have hunted. Watch for the sink holes or you may literally find yourself over your head and possibly injured. It was really nice being able to hunt and not having to worry about being hunted. On the first day I spotted two bou 100 yds from the beach while in the boat and made a stalk within 50 yards before pulling the trigger. Wish I had my bow... The second day was socked in with fog. We could have had animals within 10 yards and not known it. Every one who hunted shot an animal so the odds are pretty good. Be careful in the fog not to get turned around. Good luck!
    Just curious- who was your transporter? Was this a guided hunt?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Adak hunting

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=73f8549f.pbw

I went out to do a little fishing, took my inflatable sport boat and my son and some friends did alittle hunting.
    Taking Cows is suggested as the herd is heavy on the cows now.
    Most hunters come to ADAK wanting bulls, but the big ones are gone due to trophy hunting, but the cows eat just fine.
    My son and each of the guys took a bull each, and the rest were cows.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up Nice pics

Nice slideshow. Were all the pictures taken on the same trip? Noticed the "skinning" picture in the garage-you pack them out whole? May I ask where you were hunting, tribal lands, public lands? I heard that there really aren't very many bou on the tribal lands (old base section). Update?
    CuriousOne

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOne View Post
    Noticed the "skinning" picture in the garage-you pack them out whole?
    Did you see the argo? Not too tough to pack 'em out whole when you've got a rig of that size!

Default Argo

we rented an Argo for the hunting part of the trip.
    a total of 11 caribou were harvested, and brought back to the house.
    this way you could do a nice clean job of skinning and meat handling.
    The area the boys hunted were in the tribal lands area.
    the fish pictures are pretty cool...
    We quite enjoyed the blue meat on those kelp greenlings.
    I guess that is what those fish are???
    we caught Cod, Black bass, flounder, Irish lords, and pougies.. " that is what the locals call a type of fish caught in the harbor"
    Hunting for Caribou was fun also
    The cow caribou are nice sized. not too big to handle and the meat is good stuff.
    a total of 1055 lbs of boned out meat made it to the plane.
    we gave some meat away to the locals that wanted some, but for the most part they seem to have all they need ..
    This was my second trip to Adak. My feeling is that there are cheaper caribou trips, and maybe bigger bulls in other parts of the state to chase, but for a meat hunt and a good time to spend with my son and good friends, its a nice place to spend a week.
    My sons friend Cade came along with us and he was able to on his own get a couple of meat caribou. He is 14 years old and he field dressed his own caribou with little help. His Dad was not able to go with us on the trip, and it was nice that he let Cade come with us. Its nice to be around young men.
    We were invited to attend Adak's annual Thanksgiving meal served at the Old VFW building. Pot luck.. the VFW provided the Turkey... Everyone brought delicious dishes.
    Most everyone attended, so about 100 people were there.
    weather was typical for the place named " The birth place of the Winds"
    but we had some intermitten spells of no wind or rain,sleet,snow..
    I was able to meet and get to know a few more of the locals, and I am sure next year will find me going out for anouther visit.. maybe a little earlier in the year when the big Halibut are still hanging around the islands.
    Max
    http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=73f8549f.pbw
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default been there

email me scottabow@aol.com I was there in aug. for caribou

the fishing there is world class, besides the salmon, the black sea bass were the best eating

Anyone know how much it costs to transport meat from Adak to ANC? Saltwater Fly Fishing and Caribou hunting sounds tough to beat...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

According to Alaska Air cargo, up to 100 pounds is $.46, 100 to 250 pounds is $.31 and 250 up is $.30. However there is a note that states from Adak to any destination there's a $.75 per pound on Tariff, what ever that means.

hmmm sounds like $200/ caribou, thats not too bad, add in AK air miles and a few hundred for transport and that seems like a decently priced hunt for being so remote... Still it'd probably come out to what? $4/ pound + processing hmmmm (thinking aloud) still cheaper than beef
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.