Thread: New boots??

Default New boots??

I am looking for a pair of new boots. I am going on a 10 day elk hunt in Wyoming in the middle of October. I currently have some Danner Pronghorn boots. The insulated Danners fit well, but seem to give me some blisters. I was thinking of trying some Lowa Sheep hunters and even thought about buying some Lathrop and Sons Hanwag boots. I have seen several threads on the sheep hunters, but not many on the Hanwag. Does anyone have any experience with the Hanwag boots? There Polar Quest pac boots look really good. I have a narrow, low volume foot and it is hard to find a boot that fits me very well. Of course, none of the local shops carry the high end boots to try on, so I guess I will order several and send back what I don't like.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a place that has the boots that you are looking at and trying them on. I don't think you'll be able to find a good pair of boots in time and also break them in if you are constantly sending them back and everything is in transit. I would drive from where ever you are located and find a good store, there is no real substitution for trying them on and seeing if you like them especially on a ten day hunt, especially if it is a hike in.

I like everything about Danner Elk Hunters except for the soles leaving skuff marks on linoleum floors, and the sticker shock of course.

Default Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by gotwake View Post
    I am looking for a pair of new boots. I am going on a 10 day elk hunt in Wyoming in the middle of October. I currently have some Danner Pronghorn boots. The insulated Danners fit well, but seem to give me some blisters. I was thinking of trying some Lowa Sheep hunters and even thought about buying some Lathrop and Sons Hanwag boots. I have seen several threads on the sheep hunters, but not many on the Hanwag. Does anyone have any experience with the Hanwag boots? There Polar Quest pac boots look really good. I have a narrow, low volume foot and it is hard to find a boot that fits me very well. Of course, none of the local shops carry the high end boots to try on, so I guess I will order several and send back what I don't like.
    gotwake - Your foot configuration sounds much like mine. I like my Sheephunters, may be the most comfortable hiking/hunting/climbing boot I have ever worn...and I tried a ton of them before coming across these. A little tip for the blister prevention. I've stated this before, not my info, but a tip from another on this site. Wear your liner socks on the outside of your wool/synthetic socks! I'm telling you, it makes all of the difference in the world...I have not had even a hotspot since I started doing this! I use Thorlos, Cabela's Coolmax liner, then Sheephunter.

That's my $0.02

-Buck

Thanks for the info. I will have to try the liner on the outside of the sock. I have never thought of that.