Thread: New .300 Win Mag

Exclamation New .300 Win Mag

Remington has a new .300 win mag that supposedly shoots all the way down to a .223 round utilzing a 55 grain bullet and a plastic sabot compensator... I'm entertaining the idea of buying one and obviously the gun store is bent on selling me one... I just want to know if it's a good gun or not. I'm looking at a stainless model with synthetic stock and though I don't know that much about guns I know I'd like something like this that I can use for varmit to moose/bear hunting and this seems to fit the bill. I'm just not sure of product quality and reliability and would like some "gun nut" to fill me in a little so that I have an educated opinion on my purchase. Thanks in advance.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Sounds like the "accelerator". They aren't too accurate.

The 300 Win Mag is a very reasonable choice for an "all around" gun, and the stainless/synthetic combo will ease maintenance issues a bit. Recoil of the round is fairly substancial for casual shooters. The .223 round you refer to is sold by Remington as "Accelerator" and is generallly pretty inaccurate, as NM says. Expensive too, for casual plinking.

I'd sure get with someone who has a 300 and shoot it before buying your own. If the recoil is bothersome, dropping to a round like the 30-06 will cut recoil noticeably if you need it, while still giving you a more or less "all around" caliber.

Arrow 300 mag info.

Rob I'm not sure exactly what 300 you are talking about I haven't heard of a new one that makes claims they are telling you about what I have heard of is a new loading and I may be wrong but I think it was for the 300 ultra mag that lets you choose between max ,medium and light loadings with the light load being 30-06 velocity those are factory offerings.Any 300 win. mag is capable of shooting any bullet in the 30 cal class if you handload and while it might not be very accurate it is still capable of doing it but it will be a handload only kind of a deal.The lightest factory load in my wholesale catalogs are the 125 gr. managed recoil type loads and that's not to say someone doesn't load a lighter load that's just all I can find in my catalogs.If they are telling you this is some kind of special rifle that will do what others won't I'd be a little leary of that and while I could be wrong, I have been before, I know of no such new rifle. You can check the manufacturers website and should be able to get the real skinny on this particular rifle so you will know exactly what is what I hope this helps and good luck.Any Remington 700 is certainly a good quality rifle and will serve you well I have several and am happy with them all. Ronnie

Default Thanks

I really appreciate the input. I'm not the kind of guy that haphazardly purchases anything anymore and this new gun is going to serve my purposes just fine I'm sure. It's nice to have you fellas as a resource for opinions and knowledge. I'm going to go ahead with the purchase and probably avoid using the accelerator rounds and just stick with the light/medium/heavy loads designed for the caliber. Once I sight it in I'll post my newbie reviews and hopefully some photos that aren't too embarrasing.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

A 300 win mag is about as good as it gets for an all around big game hunting rifle. But for putting the time in sending rounds down range to hone your shooting skills, you can't beat a good .223 rem.

I've downloaded a variety of medium and large bores, but when it comes to keeping operating costs down for powder and component bullets, little recoil, and great accuracy, a second rifle in 223 will pay for itself.

Default Sweetest Deal...

My sister-in-law works at Wild West Guns and got me a helluva deal. New Remington 300 Win Mag with a used 2x7 Leupold Scope w/bases and rings, bore sighted and trigger tuned down from 5.5 to 3.2 for $705

Needless to say, my sis rocks and I'm commited forever to take her hunting and shooting... Thanks for your guys' input and I'll have more to post in the next few days after I shoot it.

Default Nice, but some questions

I was using reloads to sight it in... I know, I know, factories are better but they were free and ammo is a little on the expensive side. I was kind of all over the paper but managed to get it sighted about 2.5" above center after about 15 rounds. I'm the opposite of expert when it comes to sighting in so thus, the many shots. We paced off 100 yards (three of us and used an average) so that might not be conducive to successful ranging but my question is this; using this method puts my group on an average of about 4" for a kill zone on a moose and a black bear (the only things I'll be hunting with this gun), right? I hope that I'm not too far off my mark but some advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    I was using reloads to sight it in... I know, I know, factories are better but they were free and .......
    Ahh...Who told you that? I suppose, depending on who loaded them, but generally just the opposite. Handloaded ammo can add a lot of versatility to the already versatile caliber.

If 2.5" high at 100 and to make a few presumptions here, if a 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps and a sight heigth of 1.5", you be on target at about 250 yards. Making the shot a maximum of about 4" high at about 170 yards and about 5" low at 300 yards. (This is my best guess.) So basically you have a 8" kill zone from muzzle to about 290 yards. This is 4" above and 4" below line of sight throughout the distance. Is this about what you want?

The 300 mag is a flat shooting rifle and does not require much for hold over at normal ranges.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks

I'm still getting used to my new gun and I think I will be for a while; I am actually a little leary of going hunting with it but it's all I have now. Gotta talk the wife into more range time...

And yes, that was exactly what I was looking for is a margin of error for a kill zone. Not that I want to make an error but it's nice to have fudge room.