Thread: How do the Steiner Binocs rate with ya'll?

Default How do the Steiner Binocs rate with ya'll?

I hunt where we have huge areas of open tundra where i gotta spot from boat/4wheeler for miles...need good binocs....but, only open credit card i have is with a whole club that carries steiner binocs, but, nothing better...

are these a good 2nd choice to pentax, nikon and leopold...i can get out for $350-$600 for a 10x40 or a 12x50....steiner has all kinds of models....most have 17 in eye relief, is this ok?

oh, htey have the police, military models that are about $400 , rubberized, 12x50 or so????

thanks,

Default .

I've been very pleased with my Steiners. The only gripe I've got is that the tethered lens caps came off (tether broke) within a year. Nice crisp optics. A good accessory is one of the bino harnesses that holds it tight to your chset when walking/climbing.

Default Steiner's

My wife and I both have Steiner binos and so far really like them. She has a set of Predator's 8x30's and I have the 10x50 Nighthunter's. So far they have been everything we have expected. Yes they can be a little spendy but they are easy to use and more inportant, for us they are easy on the eyes. Like most sporting equipment, look it all over and get what fits your budget.

First, I am a Steiner fan – so the is/was a little predisposition in my selection. That being said, I played with a number of 10x42’s. I kept coming back to the Predators. The Merlins weren’t bad but “in for a penny – in for a pound” and the price difference wasn’t that significant. I could not find anyone local with the Peregrine’s to compare. I spoke in detail with Duster (Iron Bridge Optics – roaming somewhere in these pages) and asked him to track down a set of the Predators (he has the best prices). What he came up with was a set of Peregrine’s at an incredible price … I couldn’t resist and glad I didn’t. I am (still) amazed at the clarity and crispness. I love these things. Merlin’s are the “low-end”, Pred’s in the middle and Peregrine’s the “top”. A quick search shows you’ll drop about $950 (retail) for the Peregrine’s in 10x42 … depending on what magnification you want – a little more/a little less. I do however, highly suggest you talk to Duster – the guy knows optics.

Default predators

I bought a set of P's in 8X30 for the wife-she likes the smaller, lighter size, but we wanted waterproof, which they are. They are nice for under 85 bucks-ebay. A great backup pair for sure too...
    Frank

OK, so some of you have/like the predators. Do they really do what they are advertised to do? Enhance certain colors/make animals easier to see?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have Steiner Peregrine 10x42 that seem to me to be equal to higher priced binocs.

Default steiner

the military uses them and so do many guides. they have good customer service and are a good value for the money. they would not be my choice though.

if the budget allows, then i would go with swarovski or leica.

I would agree with cold zero on this one. Steiner's are good value for the money. I took a pair of the 8x30 Predator's to Namibia last fall and they did just fine........but they didn't compare to the Leica's my host was using. Then again the Steiner's cost only a quarter of what the Leica's did.

A friend has the military/marine 8x30s. I've seen and checked them out, but not used them. He likes and uses them. They looked good to me. They are one of the lightest 8x30/32 size binocs on the market. 18 ounces. I've been contemplating getting a pair.
    There's always a variety of steiners for sale on ebay.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default steiners

f.y.i. i beleive each occular lense must be adjusted individually. this is a p.i.t.a....

Default Steiners or Burris

Burris is a unsung hero in the optics world. I own the Signature in 10X50. Compact and light weight. Cost around $500.00. Way less than Leica, Swaro. and the like, and yet have awesome glass, warranty, and customer service. Totally waterproof!
    Just my .02
    Good luck!

Default about Steiners

I owned a pair of 8x30 Military-Marine binos for ages. They were excellent for being a bit of a compromise. Too big to be really compact, too small an objective to be "excellent" in the low light early dawn or twilight hours.

I like the individually adjustable occulars. Steiner's are simply superb for their glass and quality. I sold the 8x30s and went with surplus US mil spec 7x50 Fujinons, also got a set of shirt pocket Olympus 8x22s. Later bought a Pentax 8x56 set that is really amazing, but quite heavy.

No free lunches out there. I betcha the upscale mil-marine Steiners are really something! The Fujinons are really my favorites though. They have individually set occulars too. My vision is better than 20-20 in each eye, but my dominant eye is the better of the two. Being able to adjust for each gives a noticeable improvement even if only a better "feel" to using the binos. If they fatigue or stress you, you won't use them for hours at a time without being uncomfortable.

Steiners are fine binoculars. Hope they have what you are looking for at your supplier.

Thumbs up First class binox

I bought Steiner Big Horns about 8 years ago and have taken them out moose hunting a number of times since then.

These are by far the best binoculars I have owned. While there are certainly better optics around, I am very happy with them. I put them up against some high priced Nikons and Pentax binoculars, and the Big Hornsdid a better job in the conditions we were hunting in.

These don't have a focus control as they are designed for long distance viewing. However, it is possible to rotate the individual focus rings on the eyepieces and come in closer.

David

I too have a set of Steiner Predator binos. Only problem has been the previously mentioned thing with the lens covers. Mine are "permanently focused" after you adjust the individual occular lens, then no more focusing. I like mine and have used them extensively on bear and caribou hunts. HAve used them in some really bad weather and never had a problem with fogging.

Default steiner

I used Steiners a bit when I was in the military. They were fine, but bigger and bulkier than I would like to take hunting. A couple years ago I bought a pair of Kahles 8x32s that I really like. In my own opinion, I would say that if you're looking at binoculars Leica and Swarovski are probably the top tier. Zeiss used to be up there, but their newer models aren't as good as they used to be. In the second tier, I would say you'd find Kahles, the current Zeiss line, and maybe Pentax. Of these, I think Kahles is the best value. Steiner is probably (and this is just my opinion) a step below these.
    Something to think about when buying binoculars is what you are really going to use them for. I do 99% of my hunting on foot and pack everything on my back. It is quite common for me to hike in 5 or more miles to where I set up camp and then hunt out from there. For me, a compact pair of binoculars makes the most sense because I'm carrying everything I have on me. Of course this means I have to compromise a bit. A larger objective might be nice, but I'm not willing to carry a bigger pair of binoculars when 8x32s are absolutely suitable for the vast majority of my hunting. I am satisfied with their performance in most light conditions. Realistically, I do most of my hunting above the timber line during the time of year when we have enough daylight to see very well without huge objective lenses.
    One thing you definitely want to do in comparing different binoculars is try them out first. Don't just order them without actually looking through them and comparing the different models you are considering. For most of us, the main limiting factor when using binoculars is our own eye sight, rather than the optics. That means that it may not even be worthwhile for you to buy the most expensive pair of binoculars out there when your eyes can't even tell the difference between Leica and Steiner glass. Of course the real test is how you feel after using them for an entire day of glassing, but you may not be able to test them for that long until after you buy them.
    One thing you can check fairly easily is distortion. Many less-than-premium binoculars have problems with edge distortion. To check for this, look through one lens at a time at something like the corner of a building or some other straight line. Don't look through the center of the lens like you normally would. Focus on whatever you're looking at around the edges of the lens. If the object does not appear clear, sharp, and straight, you have an edge distortion issue. It may not even be noticeable in normal use, but after a day of glassing it will cause increased eye fatigue.
    Those are just my thoughts.....take it for what its worth.

Nobody needs a $2000 pair of binox to hunt with. Stiener makes a model that will suit your budget and will perform very good.

Default mil marine

The answer to what is right for you depends on how you hunt, what you hunt, and how much you want to spend. I hunt everything including sheep and goat with mil marines. Sure their big, but that doesnt matter to me because I always wear them on my chest with the Bino system. Their light, 18 oz, so they don't knock the wind out of me. Weight is a huge factor because I'm not a big guy and I like to walk a lot. I like the 8x because I can hold them still enough even from my raft. I carry a compact spotting scope while sheep and goat hunting to get in closer. The're waterproof, durable, and inexpensive. I paid $200. If I loose them in the water, I'll just get some more. The optical quality is unmatched to anything else I've tried in the general price range. There might be something better out there for me but I'd probalby have to spend closer to a grand. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one.

gr8AK

I like them but to much $$$$$ I got the bausch and lomd lite and love them
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default owned 3 pairs

I've owned 3 pairs of Steiners. I think for the $$$ they are a great value. I have purchased all of mine from Sierra Trading Post. Great Customer service, in fact I just returned a pair to them I bought in 1999 that had some fogging issues. They gave me all my money back no questions asked. At the same time I returned my wifes steiners that we actually broke in half (sheep hunt fall) and they gave me all my $$$ back no questions asked. The only issues I've had was fogging on the previously mentioned pair. I should say however that I took the money from both returns plus a little extra and bought a pair of Swaro's (cant beat em) I will be buying a new pair of steiner for back up/extra use though