Thread: Anyone Call themselves a Collector?

Default Anyone Call themselves a Collector?

I suppose that if you have two or more items that came from the same manufacturer, or same gunsmith or knifesmith, you could be a collector, or maybe just a connoiseur...finances these days keep me more in the 'enthusiast' category than an acquirer or collector...
    My own personal downfall is 1903 Springfields and lever rifles. Can't afford a bunch of Winchester and Marlins, at least not what I'd LIKE to have, but I did manage to lay a few '03's and A3's in when they could be had for under $2-300.00.
    What takes YOU to the Mrs. with a song and dance or sob story about 'needing' something else!?

I'm more of an accumulator. I once sold a gun and immediately regretted it even though it was the only way I could raise enough cash to take advantage of an about to expire fantastic deal on a shotgun I wanted. One of my coworkers shot trap for the big bucks and he had won a new trap grade 1100. He was selling his only 500 rounds through it trap grade 1100 for less than half of what he'd paid for it the week before. I figured it must be a pretty good gun because he'd used it to win the new gun. I still use that shotgun and it fits me perfectly, but I sure wish I had the gun I took my first pheasant with. Since then I've accumulated a bunch of shotguns, rifles, and bp burners. The ones that weren't good shooters got tinkered with until they did shoot. They all have memories associated with them and I've convinced myself, but not my wife, that I need them when I probably only want them.

I agree with Flyer's "accumulator" label. Collectors usually have a method or a pattern to their acquisitions. Not me, the only purchase pattern I have is I'm a buy and hold guy. Consequently, I have sold only two guns in my life (a mini-30 and Glock 23)...everything else I have kept. Also, I don't really ask permission for my next gun, scope, etc...I just buy it with money that I squirrel away here and there...it works.

Having 2 growing boys is excuse enough to buy another rifle. And a daughter that is oh so sweet that I bought her the rifle in my sig. line. But yes, her mom and I will use it when we need to but, it will be her's someday.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I've got my first two (my mom forbid firearms in her house and my dad didn't hunt). Now I just have to convince my wife that when two firearms get together in a dark place they tend to bread like rabbits.
    Chris Willhoite

I am a Federally Licensed Firearms Collector!

Well, it sounds cool.

I used my license to buy a ton of old Iver Johnson revolvers and single barrel shotguns. I mean a "ton"! I dumped the whole collection recently, just too much to move.

I've also picked up a couple Birthday guns with my license. 1952 Marlin and 1952 Winchester 94.

The license will also get you a discount at MidwayUSA and Brownells.

Nonfirearms? I have found, over the years, if I find a ****ed good product, to, without delay, buy another one just like it because they will quit making that particular model. Therefore my collection consists of 2 identical jackets, 2 identical pairs of boots, 2 identical scopes, 2 identical knives, etc., etc...

Default I kick myself every time I think about...

Old man Ruana used to peddle his knives in and around Great Falls when I was stationed there. His 'best' knives were offered in the local retail outlets, seldom for more than $20.00. I SHOULD'VE bought every one that I had the money to buy! Ah well, I can look at my friend's as he's using it and wish it were mine....

I do have a thing for old Winchesters,,,and maybe old military rifles...and old Colts,,,,well maybe a couple of old cavalry sabers here and there... Nothing to get too excited about...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    I've got my first two (my mom forbid firearms in her house and my dad didn't hunt). Now I just have to convince my wife that when two firearms get together in a dark place they tend to bread like rabbits.
    Try to involve your wife as much as possable or that she will allow in your shooting activeties and you might be surprised how many you can accumulate.

Default Used To Collect

Lever-guns, then single action pistols, S/S shotguns, then mausers. Currently, WWII Snipers, and old Weaver Scopes. Have a Russian Mosin 91/30 '43Tula. A Finn capture/reworked 91/30, a Swedish M41B. Working on a Mauser K98 now, and next a '03A3 if I can find a decent one not sporterized. Everyone is looking for collector conditon. I like 'em used but not abused.

Default collect or accumulate?

I hear ya. My interests have wandered around over the years but generally gravitate back to old western/sporting americana. A co-worker many years ago kept investing in original Colt SAAs. We all thought him nuts to spend that kind of money on old pistols. Wow, were we wrong! I learned also that good stuff is expensive. Only rarely will one find a "nugget" of great value for cheap. I guess my greatest passion is original Winchester lever guns... not just to store in the safe as an investment but to shoot. How else could someone fully understand what the early shooters, hunters, outlaws had to deal with than to actually shoot the originals. When very young my dad had a saying that was used for certain circumstances, something like, "I wouldn't trade a ten dollar dog for two five dollar cats". Only in the last 20 years have I learned the full meaning of that as it pertains to value. It's a common mistake with collectors also. When asking about an old collectible gun the first thing I'm interested in is mechanical function and bore condition. The other collector fraternity looks at outside appearance and rarity as prime conditons for purchase. They view an old gun as simply an investment in a rare or important example. Both collecting schools are valid. I just like to shoot them. Most all I have I shoot regularly. The only ones I don't are the Colt and Remington Civil War era cap and ball revolvers. Of all the collectible Winchester lever guns I have the Win model 71s in 348 are probably the best for big game use followed closely by the Win 95 in 35 WCF. Can't get any better.... very accurate, reliable, old & collectible, powerful hunting rifles! The most fun to shoot at the range are the Win 73, 92, 94s in 38-40, 44-40, 25-20 and 32-40. The new bolt guns in the safe? well..... just deadly accurate tools- no collecting interest in them for me.

Default old guns can shoot

A target from a couple of months ago.
    Winchester 1892, 44-40, 115 yrs old- 1st yr manufacture, factory open sights, soft alloy swaged bullets over Trailboss, 50 yds. This can make a collector grin
    Attached Images Attached Images

I must fall in the accumulator category since there seems to be no rhym or reason to my stuff. My wife does not understand my passion even though I have tried to fully include her. She does shoot and has two pistols (Browning BDA 380, Glock in 9mm) and a Winchester Mod 70 in 270 WSM. Her theory which is flawed is that I do not need more guns than I can shoot at once. She has not grasped the fact that if you take care of them they not only retain value but normally gain value so are an investment. Not that I would get rid of them! Over the years as a kid I made the mistake of selling off a couple of guns that I seriously regret at this time. A custom mod 700 action, McGowan barreled 338-06 with a leu 1.5x5 and synthetic stock, Winchester model 12 clean and functional, Marlin 30-30, Ruger Redhawk 44 mag, and a Ruger single six in 22lr with a 22 mag cylinder. I did trade my sig 226 9mm for a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H but just talked my wife into buying me another one in 40 smith so that evened out.

Now to convince her I need a Wilson combat 1911, Ruger mark III Hunter 22lr, some sort of lever action, another 44 mag, M14, a WWII Browning BAR, and a good bolt action 22lr!

Default She couldn't get by...

I'd just about bet that she couldn't get by with just a paring knife, now solely with a potato peeler, and likely has a drawer full of different blades for different jobs, likewise with scissors, and I won't even MENTION clothes!!!
    First ex-Mrs. Walton couldn't understand that analogy, either, mentioned once that "yeah, but you can't WEAR guns"....and to think I picked that woman to blend my DNA with.