Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone shot a .500 S&W v. a .480 Ruger?

Default Has anyone shot a .500 S&W v. a .480 Ruger?

Hi,
    (Yes, I searched the forum first ...before posting)

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of a Ruger SRH in .500 S&W versus a Ruger SRH in .480 Ruger? I'm a firm believer in carrying as much gun as you can handle properly (backup bear protection ...backup to the shotgun w/1-ounce slugs that is.) I find that shooting my 7-1/2" SRH in .480 Ruger (with the 'Alaskan' Hogue grips) to be easy ...and have put 150 rounds of Hornady's best through it in a sitting with no problems (no sore hand, no serious fatigue, no serious recoil control issues.) Now I'm wondering if I should move up to a 500...

Or better yet, if someone in the Fairbanks area would like to DO the comparison and you own a .500 SRH, then PM me and we can get together at the rifle/pistol range and give'r a go. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Brian

I don't know of anyone chambering the SRH in 500 S&W, did you mean the Smith 500?

I have fired a SRH in 500 Linebaugh, and it was a handful. Personally I find the 480 the biggest round I can handle in a DA revolver w/o resorting to adding a muzzle brake, and/or making the gun really heavy.

To my way of thinking, for any instance where the 480 isn't enough, I'll take a big rifle. The most powerful revolver rounds still pale in comparison to a powerful rifle. If my 480 isn't enough, I'll grab my 350 rem mag, and if that isn't enough, there's a 500 Jeffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't know of anyone chambering the SRH in 500 S&W, did you mean the Smith 500?
    <snip>
    I sit humbly corrected ...I assumed Ruger had an SRH in 500 S&W by now. So, I guess I'd like to compare a SMITH 500 with my SRH .480 Ruger.

My skinny little dentist shoots a 500 ...and if HE can do it, then ..wellll???

Brian

Thumbs up S&w 500...

I got a S&W model 500 a last year for bear protection on canoe fly fishing trips. Best money I ever spent. After my first trip up on the Kelly River (trib of lower Noatak above Kotz), I felt more than inadequate with the .44 special I had. Bears were humbling to say the very least. With the 4" model 500 with Buffalo Bore ammo, I slept much better. Only real concern was defeaning myself or wife and catching the tent on fire. Compared to the other alternative, I will take it. While a hard kicking gun, it is managable. Wonderfully designed gun and has the smoothest action of any revolver I own. I would trust it out to 25 yards without hesitation. I am an average shot and even for me "minute of bear" may be out to 30 yards. The factory fodder is pleasant to shoot. The 440 gr Buffalo Bore at almost 2,600 ft/lbs is a different story. Dont shoot it in 10 degree weather with ungloved hands. I made that mistake while living in Nome last year. Live and learn. For bear protection I could not recommend a better gun. Even with Corbon or Hornady factory ammo I would consider it more than ample stopping power. With the 440 gr hardcast at 1600 fps its just nasty. Peace of mind.... or piece of mind I guess you would say.

My dentist's hunting buddy shot a charging black bear with the standard Corbon ammo out of his 500 and the bear dropped like it was struck by lightning. That's why my dentist upgraded ...the 500 works. And if I find it reasonable to shoot (reasonable enough), then I might upgrade too. Sure like to try one sometime.

Brian

Again, I find myself agreeing with Paul. I have even downloaded my 480 using a 355 grain hard cast bullet at around 900 fps. It will go through 12 gallon water jugs! It is pleasant to shoot and I think it will put a real hurt on a bear. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Again, I find myself agreeing with Paul. I have even downloaded my 480 using a 355 grain hard cast bullet at around 900 fps. It will go through 12 gallon water jugs! It is pleasant to shoot and I think it will put a real hurt on a bear. Jim
    The missing data for me, in addition to what it's like to shoot a 500 (for me ...mileage varies from shooter to shooter), is how effective is a .480 against a bear? Murphy says shot placement is most important (central nervous system trauma stops bears) and I agree, but I'd still like to round UP as high as possible and still be able to shoot/handle the gun well enough to get off 2 shots before getting within bad breath range. Paul H says you'll get one shot, so being able to shoot and get back on target for a second quickly is the backup plan (just in case I'm charged by a slow bear ). The bottom line here is that the first shot has to count ...you have to be able to shoot accurately and know where to place the shot (on a bounding bear!), AND the shot needs to physically knock the bear back or slow it ...if even possible, to try to give you a chance at a second.

Brian

Brian

well i had a 4 inch 500 but i loaned it to a freind for a backup on his elk hunt in co. he took it with him to get some fire wood for camp,as he was coming back he found two dip sh**s taking stuff from camp one of them pulled a 9mm on him (not a good thing to do).so he fired 3 rounds 1 hit the door ,1 hit the bach window as they drove off the last shot hit the left front wheel ,that stoped them ,by that time his buddys came back to help

he did not remember even shooting it ....any way he kept my 500 and i got a 5 inch 460 and i like it better.

(what was the ????)

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    The missing data for me, in addition to what it's like to shoot a 500 (for me ...mileage varies from shooter to shooter), is how effective is a .480 against a bear? Murphy says shot placement is most important (central nervous system trauma stops bears) and I agree, but I'd still like to round UP as high as possible and still be able to shoot/handle the gun well enough to get off 2 shots before getting within bad breath range. Paul H says you'll get one shot, so being able to shoot and get back on target for a second quickly is the backup plan (just in case I'm charged by a slow bear ). The bottom line here is that the first shot has to count ...you have to be able to shoot accurately and know where to place the shot (on a bounding bear!), AND the shot needs to physically knock the bear back or slow it ...if even possible, to try to give you a chance at a second.

Brian

Brian
    First off, I wouldn't recognize a 480 if I tripped on one, so I can't speak of comparisons. I do own a 500 S&W. I do not consider myself a great pistol shooter, or even a good one. Adequate is how I'd describe myself. At 35 feet I placed a spent 1# propane bottle on the ground. I fired 5 shots of 440 gr hard-cast CorBon into that bottle using the double action in a comfortably rapid pace (which means I allowed the bottle to settle but not come completely to rest before I shot again). I hit it 5 times. I wondered if it was luck. I repeated the exercise with similar results (confirmed hits on 4 shots. Either I missed on the 5th or the bullet went through one of the many considerable holes in the bottle). 10 shots in two minutes with good accuracy and no pain. I have no comment of a 480 because I've never seen one, let alone shoot one. But at this point, I'm not looking beyond my 500, which I consider a very shootable gun. At least for 10 rounds at a time.

I have shot the 480 Ruger and I own a couple of S&W 500's. Even though I cut my big bore teeth shooting a Ruger SA 44 mag for some reason the recoil of the Ruger SRH in either 454 Casull or 480 is a ***** for me to handle.
    I find either of my 500's to recoil less than the 480. One of the 500's is the 4 in version.
    Different hands feel different things. You need to shoot both loaded to the level you want to carry in the field to see what is best for you.
    Another factor to consider is the 480 is probably going to die out over the course of the years to come because I read that Ruger has quit chambering for it although I did not verify what I read. On the other hand the S&W 500 has gained a very nice market share and is sure to be around for a long time insuring ammo can be readily purchased at more places.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I have shot the 480 Ruger and I own a couple of S&W 500's. Even though I cut my big bore teeth shooting a Ruger SA 44 mag for some reason the recoil of the Ruger SRH in either 454 Casull or 480 is a ***** for me to handle.
    I find either of my 500's to recoil less than the 480. One of the 500's is the 4 in version.
    Different hands feel different things. You need to shoot both loaded to the level you want to carry in the field to see what is best for you.
    Another factor to consider is the 480 is probably going to die out over the course of the years to come because I read that Ruger has quit chambering for it although I did not verify what I read. On the other hand the S&W 500 has gained a very nice market share and is sure to be around for a long time insuring ammo can be readily purchased at more places.
    So far, I don't see any reason why I should try out a 500. Maybe I'll buy one and then sell whichever one I don't want. Anyone got one for sale? Who has the best prices in Fairbanks?

Brian

If you dont see any reason to try one then why would you want to buy one?
    Tennessee

Man Rule; You never need a reason to buy a new gun!!!!
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

If you dont see any reason to try one then why would you want to buy one?
    Typo... I meant to say "I don't see any reason why I should NOT try one out", e.g. they are impossible to shoot for example.

Brian

PS: The primary road block now is the $1000+ that Sportsmans said they wanted. I'll have to look around for a better price, even if FFL'd from the lower 48. I think the locals are gouging a bit ...I've seen them for more like $700. They know it's the ultimate wheel gun for bear and we're in Alaska, and only S&W makes one. Anyone know how to email Ruger? I can't find an email addy at their web site...

You have to call Ruger. Watch the classifieds as used S&W's 500's show up often.
    Another option is for your local FFL dealer to call Lew Horton as they usually have great prices. Check gunbrokers as well.
    Good luck
    Tennessee

You have to call Ruger. Watch the classifieds as used S&W's 500's show up often.
    Another option is for your local FFL dealer to call Lew Horton as they usually have great prices. Check gunbrokers as well.
    Good luck
    Ruger does have email access, but it's not advertised. I've sent email to them before ...but lost a hard drive awhile back, and a lot of that kind of stuff with it. Or maybe they've nixed that now? Anyway, I'll give them a call ...I want to bug them about the .480 *and* putting out a 500.

Thanks for the hints. I saved them.

Brian

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Typo... I meant to say "I don't see any reason why I should NOT try one out", e.g. they are impossible to shoot for example.

Brian

PS: The primary road block now is the $1000+ that Sportsmans said they wanted. I'll have to look around for a better price, even if FFL'd from the lower 48. I think the locals are gouging a bit ...I've seen them for more like $700. They know it's the ultimate wheel gun for bear and we're in Alaska, and only S&W makes one. Anyone know how to email Ruger? I can't find an email addy at their web site...
    The last time I checked Walmart had one for around 800.00 .
    I have seen them listed here for 700.00
    S&W ,Taurus, BFR make the 500's along with a few Rifle manufacture's.
    I do not think it is gouging ,they are holding their value .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I have been shooting a 500 S&W in a single shot H&R Handy rifle for some time now. The first scope I had on the rifle was a Weaver 3x9x40mm Grand Master model, I believe or something close to that. After 3 shots the scope fell apart. The recoil from the 500 S&W did a number on this scope. The adjustment knobs, windage and elavation were both laying on my shooting bench. It felt like I was shooting a 375 H&H Mag. After another week I put a Burris full field 3x9x40mm scope on the 500 S&W handy rifle and solved the scope problem. The recoil was no better.
    After pounding my shoulder with Hornady 300 gr XTP ammo I had enough. The acc. at 100 yards was terriable. Then I purchased a box of the Hornady 300gr Evolution and I had my 500 S&W Handy rifle shooting in the same hole at 100 yards. By this time I had learned to handle the recoil. The 500 S&W is not for the faint of heart or a recoil shy person. I have yet to take a animal with it but I will soon. So if any one has used the Evolution ammo in 500 S&W I would like to here how it preformed. I have not heard good things about the Evolution ammo that has been used on deer size game shot out of a 45-70.

[quote=RANGER RICK;135320]The last time I checked Walmart had one for around 800.00 .

the wal-marts there still carry handguns ???
    down here in the lower 48 they do not and most dont carry firearms at all

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 338.06 View Post
    I have been shooting a 500 S&W in a single shot H&R Handy rifle for some time now. The first scope I had on the rifle was a Weaver 3x9x40mm Grand Master model, I believe or something close to that. After 3 shots the scope fell apart. The recoil from the 500 S&W did a number on this scope. The adjustment knobs, windage and elavation were both laying on my shooting bench. It felt like I was shooting a 375 H&H Mag. After another week I put a Burris full field 3x9x40mm scope on the 500 S&W handy rifle and solved the scope problem. The recoil was no better.
    After pounding my shoulder with Hornady 300 gr XTP ammo I had enough. The acc. at 100 yards was terriable. Then I purchased a box of the Hornady 300gr Evolution and I had my 500 S&W Handy rifle shooting in the same hole at 100 yards. By this time I had learned to handle the recoil. The 500 S&W is not for the faint of heart or a recoil shy person. I have yet to take a animal with it but I will soon. So if any one has used the Evolution ammo in 500 S&W I would like to here how it preformed. I have not heard good things about the Evolution ammo that has been used on deer size game shot out of a 45-70.

I have a few customers that have used some of my 700 Grain Thumpers in their Handi Rifles and they agreed with you that recoil is not for the faint of heart when you touch one off .
    I had one customer shatter his scope on his first shot and that was not with a 700 Grainer it was with a 610 Grain LFNGC !!!!!!
    OUCH

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast