Thread: Christmas tree bait

Default Christmas tree bait

Are the multiple flashers and plastics I saw people trolling in PWS the best bait pattern? Is it really more productive? I was just trolling a hering and 3 ounce weight; depth at 16-25 pulls. We did as well as I saw others doing. I need to re-tool if that is the way to go. I have just always thought simpler is better, I even quit cutting the head off after my brother asked me if I ever saw a hering swimming around without its head. After I said no, he said neither has a salmon. Thoughts?

LMAO! Both my son and myself have asked that same question. With me, it was when I was a kid living in Michigan and I asked my dad something to the effect of, "when did the fish stop eating worms and switch to plastic?"

My son wanted to know why the fishing shows made such a big deal about putting scent on a lure. He asked if a fish really swam up behind a speeding buzz bait and "sniffed" it before eating it like some dog getting ready to eat from his bowl.

I guess we're both a little cynical.

The reason for cutting the head off is merely to make it look injured, so the salmon will go after the "easier" meal

Default Spinning Herring

The head is cut off at an angle to impart a spin on the bait when it is being trolled. You can pick up various gizmos at the Sporting Good Stores that help in angling the cut for the proper spin.

Yep... i was looking through our tackebox and found a cutting board that you slide a bait fish into and its angeled at a slash (/) so you cut the head off in a manor that it spins to look injured... dont know why we had this being we've never fished salt before, it still looks cool however and i cant wait to try it out

Default Spinnig Bait

I failed to mention that the herring must be solid:meaning that it must be very fresh, semi frozen, or cured in order to keep it's shape. The head area spoils very quickly and looses its shape, thus impeding the spinning motion needed.

Having said that: I have been very successful using hochies (spl) for Silvers trolling. Set up is---- Pink Lady Diver or other diver-18"-24" of line -- a Dodger (not Flasher), and another 18"-24" for the plastic squid with number 4-5 hooks. Fail safe. I have had great success from Valdez, Whittier, and Seward with this set up. No stinky bait-Just Fish.

Default Scent for spinner?

My friend was killing everyone else, like 5 to 1 ratio while we were silver fishing in Seward a month ago. I caught him sort of secretly wiping his vibrax in the bag of hooligan, then putting it out. He claimed he was not being secretive, but it sure looked sneaky.
    Anyway maybe it was just coincidence but they were all using vibrax, I was running the trolling motor. He beat everyone bad. He said the fish smell the oils on your hand so he rubbed it in the bait bag then didn't touch it again with his own hands. "how many times do you see a fish swim up to your lure then turn away?" he said. Well, don't know, maybe it was just his lucky day.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default I like it simple

I know that in the past I used the diver to flasher or dodger to leader to hook method, which produced a 10' long setup worth about $20 until one time I lost the last diver I had. I used a 4oz Banana weight and 2 hook solid tie trolling rig. Haven't used a diver since.Hookup ratio is much better. I can adjust depth easier with more or less weight. Most of the time I don't even use a flasher. For me simpler is better. Biggest key to this is a good cut on your herring to get the right roll.

Default ProTroll?

Have any of you tried or had success with the ProTroll setups? You know, the kind where you clip the herring's head into the plastic clip?

I have yet to try the ones I purchased, and wondered if they would be easier to use to get the "perfect slow roll" that I so often read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    Have any of you tried or had success with the ProTroll setups? You know, the kind where you clip the herring's head into the plastic clip?
    I've used the helmets where you stick them in a little plastic doohickey and you can adjust the spin. I had good luck with those. you do have to use a toothpick (after dropping and losing the plastic one that came with the thing) and so you do mess with it a little, but not too much. I was thinking that lopping the head off might put more scent into the water. When I use a cut plug I like to remove the viscera and put a hole in the vent to keep it from balooning up. Because of all of my monkeying with the herring I don't think that it lasts as long in the water as the intact ones that are held by a clip or a helmet. If a fish would just bite the thing right away I wouldn't have to worry.

Default Head on

I get the roll I used to get from cut bait by having the leader go around the edge of the mouth. The weight and speed give the bait the arch and slow roll of a wounded fish. The bait last longer as it is whole. It has been very effective for me and I even took a fish with the weight out of the water and the bait splashing in the wake as I was lifting it out of the water.

Default Appropriately named thread

I had avoided reading this thread earlier because the title didn't interest me. But I know exactly where it's coming from. I too have tied on all the ornaments (diver, flasher, hootchie koochie, cut herring, etc.) Never caught a fish with all that junk. I can't imagine what a fish thinks when he sees all that.

last weekend my boat limited out in no time using nothing but a simple XXXXXXXX jig. (my friend scolded me for mentioning it in an earlier thread because since I did B&Js has been wiped out of them and they cost $2 more at Wal-Mart).

I say simpler is better. But I'm no expert!

flies seemed to work ok last year, as did pixees
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Simple rig

Just me but I don't use a herring rig at all. I take a mustad 3/0 hook and send it through the mouth and out the top of the head, then push the hook into the mouth up to the eye of the hook, turn sideways and through the back. The herring will spin like a "cripple" and is just as effective as all those pricey rigs. Best of luck!!