Thread: Economic Impact of Sport Fishing in Alaska

Default Economic Impact of Sport Fishing in Alaska

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Not to me. . . has nothing to do with why I came up here (1961) in the first place and less and less to do with why I stay. . .

Default that 16% makes quite an economic impact

eh, Marcus?

First I am not discounting this study, and am a sportfisher myself.

Second did you see who did the actual study? A sport fish association. Geez no bias there huh? Having said that the numbers SEEM to be ok, but how would I know?

Third before someone starts using these numbers like they mean something The commercial catch in alaska exceeds 2 billion dollars. Not millions, billions. That is dockprice and not counting value added processing. Commercial fishing is out second or third largest industry, and is clearly documented to be substainable. The fishery is also becoming more and more alaska-centric. I am no expert on Crab or Salmon but I know in the 1 billion dollar groundfish industry that Alaskan CDQ groups now OWN over half the large boats (catcher processors) and therefore over half the overall quota. So Please don't start an us vs them debate it does nothing to further any sportfish goal really.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-16-2007 at 10:36. Reason: correction

Unhappy But is it worth it . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    that 16% makes quite an economic impact eh, Marcus?
    "'Empowering' communities or countries by promoting their cultures at the same time you destroy the way of life that produced these cultures—farming, fishing, mining—is illogical to say the least. . . .

"Whether the economic benefits resulting from tourism ultimately compensates for . . . cultural cannibalism . . . is a big, open question."

(Making The World Safe For Tourism, Patricia Goldstone, Yale University Press, 2001, pp. 251-253)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    "'Empowering' communities or countries by promoting their cultures at the same time you destroy the way of life that produced these cultures—farming, fishing, mining—is illogical to say the least. . . .

"Whether the economic benefits resulting from tourism ultimately compensates for . . . cultural cannibalism . . . is a big, open question."

(Making The World Safe For Tourism, Patricia Goldstone, Yale University Press, 2001, pp. 251-253)

Excellent quotes. I tend to agree that tourism isn't the be-all, end-all economy. In fact, after the environmental industry touted tourism so prominently (after killing off the timber industry), then expressed outrage when they learned that cruise ships dump poop in the ocean (like, what did the fools expect?), I felt utter contempt for both the environmental and tourism industries.

But there is much more to the Kenai River drainage than the sport fishing and commercial fishing industries and their economics/politics.

In the end it will be economic realities that dictate the future, and it appears to me that both the sport fishing and the commercial fishing industries centered around the Kenai River are headed for trouble.

I'll just watch, listen, and try to learn............

Default Clarifing post

On my ealier post I had posted "sportfish Ass." I should have typed sportfish association. I did not call the writer a "nut". It was changed by a mod as hey thought I was cussing, and I can see why, but I wanted to clarifly my post. I don't want to be name calling on a good thread.

Thanks,

Mike Vechter.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    On my ealier post I had posted "sportfish Ass." I should have typed sportfish association.......
    The proper abbreviation is "assc."

I guess we can understand why whoever made that "official" added the "c" at the end of it........

Default Sometimes

Sometimes reading and trying to interpet what people are trying to write is difficult. Yes, big difference between assc. and naming someone the other.

I corrected your first post to association.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You moderators ROCK!!! Or just really good country I suppose.

Default Reference. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can you furnish us a reference for that?

How about "assoc." and "assn."?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Can you furnish us a reference for that?...

Nope, 'cause I was incorrect:

....How about "assoc." and "assn."?
    Both assn and assoc. are correct.

(Good catch!)