Thread: looking for greener pasturers

Default looking for greener pasturers

hey guys i could use some help. i'm looking to do my first solo hunt this fall plan on doing a five day trip over the 3 day weekend. i will probably be on foot unless i can get the my old man's three wheeler running. I don't wanna drive more then about 4 hours as time is a factor. the less time driving i have to do the more time hunting i will have. i'm based out of eagle river. so if u guys could help suggest soem general areas as possible locations i would be greatful.

Default ?

hunting what?

Default oops

well the main target is moose. but pretty much if it moves and is legal i'll take a shot at it. i also have a light duty inflatable canoe but would not want to take it on anthing other then a lake or pond. so i might try for ducks as well.

Talking Ha.. Ha..

Here is my best advice…

Take a left at Eagle River and hop on the Glen, take left onto the Seward Highway. Get off at Diamond and go past the mall and pull into CostCo. Pull out your membership Card and solo away!

Because we don’t know what your after this seem like the safest option!

Walt

Default haha

probably but what fun is that? besides moose tastes better then beef. not sure how much hunting i wil be able t get in this year between work and college. so this is probably gonna be the big trip of the year. My primary interest is moose. need meat to fill the freezer defintaly cheaper then beef.

Default just my thoughts

You haven't mentioned if you were hunting with a bow/gun?? If you are bowhunter ed certified you can hunt eklutna lake area in sept and usually the first week of oct for moose--it is a registration hunt, they usually get there 4 critters out of there and if you are into humping, plenty of black bears in the hills to chase after,

turnagain arm is a good spot for black bear if you think you have the legs for it

alaska is all of what you make of it, get to know the regs, maybe save up this year and do a fly out hunt next year--won't see as many people!

Good luck

Default Some Suggestions

For starters I would decide exactly what I plan to hunt. Sounds like you're interested in moose, but are also in the "shoot anything that moves" mode. To be honest, that makes it sound like you are not experienced. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder whether you know what you're in for if you get a moose down. Will you be able to completely salvage all the meat and get it out of the woods on your back by yourself? Some new hunters can and do, and many of us "old timers" started out doing exactly that. So I'm not taking a jab at you at all, just pointing out that you should take time to think this through and focus on one species that you're sure you can tackle alone.

If I were you I'd take a look at any of the trails in the Kenai Mountains, and go in there for black bear. Plenty of blackies around and their size makes them a LOT more managable for a solo hunter.

Again, my apologies if you're experienced at this. The way your posts read it seems that you might be somewhat new to this stuff. No problem with that, as I said. We all started somewhere.

Best of luck to you! Please post photos when you return!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

sorry for not articulating myself better. experience is not a issue this is going on my 13th year of hunting in ak. was born up here hunting and fishing has been a part of my life as long as i can remeber. my dad did a excellent job in teaching me the ways of the woods. i'm primarily looking to hunt moose but, will not hesitate to shoot a blackie or grizz if the situtation is right. i'm just looking to maximize my hunt time since i will not be able to do much this year. work and college keep me pretty busy. i'm using a remington model 700 30-06 with a nikkon monarch 5.5x16.5x44. i'm prepared for how much work it will be if i knock one down. so don't plan on hiking more then a mile and half to get one. have been conditioning with a 60lb pack since mid july. i just need a new area to try since the point mackinze area is getting torn up and hunted out. would be great if i could pull a cow tag. but have not seen many legal bulls.