Thread: Improving accuracy

Default Improving accuracy

I'm fairly new to shooting larger caliber rifles, i.e. .30+, and my accuracy could use some improvement. I'm fairly accurate with my .22, getting small groups in the center of the paper every time, and while I can get within a 6" circle with my .300 WM, I feel that I could use some improvement. I'm fairly certain that the problem lies with me and not my rifle, but I don't really have enough experience to judge. I think I might also have a bit of a flinch, but I think I know how to correct that. What do you do to improve your aim?
    Chris Willhoite

Default basics

ok Chris, the first thing is go back to the basics, good sight picture, breathing, trigger SQUEZE, a good stedy rest, and have the gun in the sweet part of you shoulder. now as long as you are doing all of these and focing on them then you should be good. if the shot is low or high then it is most likely you breathing, and if it is left or right then it is your triger squeze. just focus on the basics, and if it is a large cal, make sure that it is tight on your shoulder so it doesent have a running start at you. good shooting

Whit

Practice, and practice some more.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

You probably could benefit from having a coach. Try to hook up with someone who is a good shot, and practice with them at the range. If you don't know someone who is a good shot, ask the rangemaster or RSO at the shooting range who they would recommend you ask for a few pointers. Most folks are happy to help...I am, and do. You already have the right attitude (i.e., you are honestly admitting that you may have some bad habits), which makes you more than halfway there towards being a much better shot.

Default improving accuracy

chris---check out a thread from about 2 weeks ago----i asked for help on how to practice(improve accuracy) and got many helpful ideas---they are working!!!!

If you're not reloading yet, start now. It will take lots of shooting to tune your shooting techniques, and you'll do it if your ammo is cheaper.

Thanks guys, I'm probably going out again this weekend for more practice. I think I know what my problem is, I'm almost consistently shooting to the right, but by different amounts, this makes me think it's my trigger squeeze and my father in law agrees. I'm also thinking of investing in a limbsaver. This last box of shells I went through seemed a little hotter then the first, but I've only shot 40 rounds through it so far. The first box was Federal Premium and the second Winchester.

I'd love to get into reloading, but the missus has nixed it for now, too much of an initial investment, even though I've shown her the savings in the long run.
    Chris Willhoite

Before you go back to the range, thoroughly clean your rifle's barrel. Search the net for articles on "how to clean gun barrels to improve accuracy."

Also, listen to what folks in here are telling you. There are ways to become a better shooter, and this takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    I'd love to get into reloading, but the missus has nixed it for now, too much of an initial investment, even though I've shown her the savings in the long run.
    Take a look at Lee reloading products. Very inexpensive, yet good quality.

Default Dry Fire

Get a good quality Snap-Cap or similar device that will allow you to safely dry fire the gun. Use this to do a number of dry fire drills before running live ammo at the range. When you start to see fliers in your group, put the Snap-Cap back in. If you flinch at the click, then that's your problem. Dry firing and a solid stock weld with your body leaning into the gun will solve it... with practice.

Joat has excellent advise. Also think about getting a *****-pad, as this helps tremendously with the flinch. If you know it won't hurt, that's 99% of the battle. I use one all the time, and I am not recoil shy. It helps my concentration and lets me shoot many more hot loads that I could otherwise. You can get these shoulder pads just about anywhere, but make sure it is of decent quality.
    Most folks that have a trigger issue are jerking the trigger subconciously. PRESS it to the rear with slow, even pressure while dry firing the rifle and you will quickly overcome this. Good luck.
    And practice, practice and practice some more. You can never get too much.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???