Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp bait?

Red face Shrimp bait?

Can anyone with some shrimping experience please tell me what a good shrimp bait is? Next year I'm planning on going to PWS to give it a try. I would "assume" that it would be the same as what you would use in a crab pot, but I'm not sure, since I haven't been shrimping before and I want to. Thanks for any feedback....

Shrimp Pellets(aka as super bait), i ain't found anything(yet but working on it) that fishes better and is easier to use. Please pm me if you have any other questions.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Shrimp Pellets(aka as super bait), i ain't found anything(yet but working on it) that fishes better and is easier to use. Please pm me if you have any other questions.
    Thanks Steve, sent you a PM...

Default Canned

Canned chicken flavor dog foor in the large cans. Pook several holes with a screw driver and place in the middle.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Salmon carcasses and herring in a bait jar. Any fish I catch, be it halibut, cod, rockfish, or salmon, has its carcass thrown into the shrimp pots after filleting.

Question

I've heard that if a guy uses fish parts for bait, especially salmon, then seals/sealions smell it and zero in on them. They tend to mess with the traps, flipping them around and whatnot. Sometimes even damaging them badly. I've had it done to me down in Oregon while crabbing. Is it a problem up here or ???

I've never had that problem, swampdonkey. We set our pots between 400-600 feet down, which I assume is a bit beyond the depth that the seals and sea lions need to go to find adequate food. Maybe I'm wrong there, but...never a problem for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've never had that problem, swampdonkey. We set our pots between 400-600 feet down, which I assume is a bit beyond the depth that the seals and sea lions need to go to find adequate food. Maybe I'm wrong there, but...never a problem for us.

Yah, I wasn't aware that the shrimp were that far down. I would guess that the seals wouldn't mess with them then. Is 400-600' typical depths? Thanks...

400 to 600 is typical depth most of the year, i'll run mine on down to 800 when the time is right.

Quote Originally Posted by UM_Zac View Post
    400 to 600 is typical depth most of the year, i'll run mine on down to 800 when the time is right.
    I wasn't aware that there are right or wrong times. Is there a seasonal movement for them? I would have figured that they were in an area year 'round. I don't know... If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "when the time is right"?

Default Herring oil

I've had success using dry dog food soaked in herring oil I purchased at B and J's. Before I leave the house I put 4-5 cups of dog food in a gallon zip lock and add two cups (or so) of herring oil to it. Toss it in the boat and by the time I reach my shrimping area the dogfood is saturated w/herring oil. I only fill my bait cups half full as the dog food will continue to swell as it soaks in the ocean.
    I also fish for halibut w/octupus soaked in herring oil using the same method above. I believe the herring oil is pretty good stuff and really leaves a sheen on the surface when it hits the water.
    Good luck.
    BK

I don't believe that it's possible for a seal to smell under water.

Rock fish, specifically yellow eye, carcasses work the best for me. Once I stuck a gill stuck arrow tooth in the pot and had great results. I also use the prawn bait with a bit of herring oilfor added stink, but without a carcass in the pot I find it's barely worth dropping them.

herring, salmon, whatever if you are using a carcass hang it so they have something to chew on and don't try to leave. We'd usually fill the buckets with salmon roe, and guts and belly flaps then fillet the salmon, then hang the carcass and eat 5 gallons of shrimp and fresh sockeye the next day... Not a bad life.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I've heard that if a guy uses fish parts for bait, especially salmon, then seals/sealions smell it and zero in on them. They tend to mess with the traps, flipping them around and whatnot. Sometimes even damaging them badly. I've had it done to me down in Oregon while crabbing. Is it a problem up here or ???
    I can see that being a problem for dungies where you fish just off the intertidal zone between 20 and 60 feet of water but for tanners, shrimp or king crab you are fishing anywhere from 50 to 100 fathoms so you rarely have that problem
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Cat food mixed with herring.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Couldn't Agree With You More

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Cat food mixed with herring.
    I have to agree, I have tried the pellets. I actually used to "SWEAR" by them.
    I don't anymore. I have had double the shrimp with cut up herring in two bait cups and "Friskies" Giblets and Gravy (Purple Can) with holes punched in them. We went out this weekend, and stayed Friday nite and hit the 10 pm tunnel last nite with 8 gallons of tails.
    I need to buy stock in Friskies.

I am by no means saying not to use the pellets. I am just stating what works for me. I also use my salmon, rockfish, and halibut carcass's in the bait jar.

Default What worked for us

We used mason jars with a piece of an old game bag on the top and then screwed the outer ring on. The game bags stopped the sea lice from eating our bait and allowed the scent to get out. We used dry cat food mixed with herring oil, and we ground up salmon skins, guts, and bones and mixed it all together. We crammed the jars full of our bait mix. We also threw in the left overs from what was caught fishing the day prior. We were in 140 feet of water and we averaged 40 shrimp per 12 hour pull. We tried deeper water and the shrimp were at 140 feet when we were there. Our best pull was 69 shrimp in 12 hours. When we had starfish in the pots we had more shrimp as a rule of thumb for us. This was the first time I had shrimped and it was a blast. I am hooked. I did have two pots stolen. Yes, I know they were stolen.

Default Pots

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Can anyone with some shrimping experience please tell me what a good shrimp bait is? Next year I'm planning on going to PWS to give it a try. I would "assume" that it would be the same as what you would use in a crab pot, but I'm not sure, since I haven't been shrimping before and I want to. Thanks for any feedback....

Don't forget to get your pots from potbuilder! You can't go wrong with his pots!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Bang head! Bang head!

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    We used mason jars with a piece of an old game bag on the top and then screwed the outer ring on. The game bags stopped the sea lice from eating our bait and allowed the scent to get out. . I did have two pots stolen. Yes, I know they were stolen.
    That is a really good idea with the mason jars. And I have been paying for bait jars, saving plastic jars and drilling holes... DUH!!!
    I too have had pots stolen... really p z's me off. hehehe I dropped 5 ladners one day in 4 footers white capping... all alone. I dropped 'em off in 1100'.
    How long do the rings last or do you use a rubber band around the top??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast