Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are we doing wrong?

Question What are we doing wrong?

What's wrong with our forum? Where have all the shooters and gun enthusiasts gone. Better yet what can we do to add some life to things around here? Here it is almost hunting season and there isn't much activity here. where is all the, which bullet, what caliber, what scope, questions??

I look at some of the other sites and see lots of interaction, are we missing something here. What would you folks want to see or do differently? How can we make this a more exciting place to visit? Have we hit a snag or just a lull? Let me know, how can we make this better?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think it's just a lull. Most of the what scope, caliber etc questions have already been answered several times. I need some help improving my accuracy, but I'm going to start a different thread for that.
    Chris Willhoite

Talking same thought

I was thinking about this same issue the other day, when I was going to the forum, when the thought of "why" struck me. I thought, "well, there won't be nothing new, except for hashing old hash." I guess there's only so many ways to ask the same questions. Nothing wrong, but also not much new. But every once is awhile something new and interesting grops up. Maybe just the nature of the beast. Aside from that, good luck to all this fall, shoot straight and be safe.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I've been involved in several on line hunting/shooting chat rooms for over a decade. There is simply an ebb and flow of activity over time. Don't fret of sweat it.

I'd also say the most successful forums have little to no interference from moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've been involved in several on line hunting/shooting chat rooms for over a decade. There is simply an ebb and flow of activity over time. Don't fret of sweat it.

I'd also say the most successful forums have little to no interference from moderators.

So...I should just stay off line?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What's wrong with our forum? Where have all the shooters and gun enthusiasts gone. Better yet what can we do to add some life to things around here? Here it is almost hunting season and there isn't much activity here. where is all the, which bullet, what caliber, what scope, questions??

I look at some of the other sites and see lots of interaction, are we missing something here. What would you folks want to see or do differently? How can we make this a more exciting place to visit? Have we hit a snag or just a lull? Let me know, how can we make this better?

There's nothing wrong with the forum. Look at it this way, everyone is out and about applying your sage advice that you gave them throughout the spring/summer and they don't have time to be online... It'll pick back up after hunting season...

Our weather here in Alaska has been good for a few weeks,,,, there were fish to catch, houses to paint, construction projects to build and all the other 10,000 things we must do in 3 months , which takes the outsiders 12 months...

My business has dropped off like crazy over the last few weeks as well...
    For some reason nobody wants to go flying on nice calm, hot, sunny days...
    They wait until it is too nasty to go fishing and then they give me a call.... Strange but true.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Murphy you're fired! LOL. Maybe if you have a drawing for a nice Browning rifle topped with a nice Luopold scope, ...hehehe. Seriously, just wait another month or so and this forum will be running over.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    Murphy you're fired! LOL. Maybe if you have a drawing for a nice Browning rifle topped with a nice Luopold scope, ...hehehe. Seriously, just wait another month or so and this forum will be running over.
    OK. Good. I'm outta here, the pay sux anyway.

This will give me more time to design all these new exotic cartridges which is quality time, more betta.

Thumbs up

Everyone got all the high quality info they needed around here and are either out using it or at the other forums helping them out!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default OK Murph - that seals it...

I'm missing out on hunting Alaska this Fall, but am planning to change mounts on my .338 to something other than the mounts that came with it. You just motivated me to get that thread moving!

Michael

I'm here specifically because of the good moderating. If that goes, I go too. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm here specifically because of the good moderating. If that goes, I go too. Period.
    HERE HERE!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Great forum. It was a little slow last summer too. Plus we haven't had anybody in gvt. or publishing do anything particularly stupid since June. No newbies asking which variety of .17 to use on brown bear. (The critter, not the member.) Nobody seems to have roped a deer or better yet a moose lately and SCOTUS hasn't yet decide if it will hear the appeal for DC gun ban that was overturned. There's got to be plenty of fuel for a fire, just that nobody's put a match to it yet.

Default Huh?

Gotta say that I enjoy most of what goes on here!
    You've pretty much made me feel welcome, and I'm not exactly a frequent visitor to Alaska!
    As mentioned, life is taking precedent for awhile. Not unlike what you may experience, I have to use the summer and what's left of the good weather to make repairs to our home, I'm still commuting 320 miles a day, and have to maintain and repair our modest fleet of family vehicles, as well as deal with the joys and crisis' that come with ten kids and eighteen grandkids! Foul weather is gonna be on us before long, the days are already getting a bit shorter, I'm seeing some grouse now and then that I'm going to have to chase, but have to get the 20 ga tuned up for...it's been a year since they fused three vertebrae in my neck, and I'm just waiting for a return call from the Surgeon to okay me for the .375...and I've got a few loads put together for the 'new to me' Model 29 that I have to take to the bench! Not included are the 'hey, Dad, can you fix my fishing pole/boat/motorscooter/bicycle/light fixture/bed/car/we're having a birthday party for your grandson/daughter!!!!!
    Murphy, I always enjoy your insight, experience, and thoughts, and all the others who post here, as well! Helps to keep my meager experiences up there fresh in my mind and looking forward to the next trip up, oh, say, like in 2009 after I retire! Been up four times and have yet to get a hook wet! Ain't THAT pathetic?

Default I'm not sure what you're talking about....

I don't think anything is wrong. Our forum is informative and useful with an excellent moderator/key participant. I think the vast majority of the participants are great folks (from what I can tell). Don't forget that our winters are 7 months long (minimum), so the summers are busy. Also, this particular forum seems to be made up of people who are actually out there doing it rather than just talking about it...i.e., we're not a bunch of blow hards who talk more than we do (like other forums that I'll leave unnamed). In short, this forum is what I want. Perhaps you're expecting something different? If so, what is your vision of the forum?

Murph: I check the forum every day I am near a computer. I really enjoy it and have learned a great deal. Thanks for a great job with all the sage advice and also facilitating all the vicarous relationships. Old Ranger

No, but do not delete other peoples posts.

Default Word

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    No, but do not delete other peoples posts.
    Responsible moderators only delete offensive posts that offend other members.

I'd rather be out enjoying nature most days then posting up a storm. BTW, that Nikon Buckmaster scope works great!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Perhaps I worded my post incorectly, my main point was don't sweat it. There is an ebb and flow of posting activity. I've yet to see where a moderator can do anything to stir a forum that has slowed down, but I have seen over active moderation that has killed active forums. I've seen this time and again and was just trying to let Murphy know that IMHO, hands off is the best way to let a forum thrive.

I've moderated a variety of forums for a long time. My style is pretty much hands off. The only time I've deleted a thread was when someone started one suggesting drinking alcohol helps one shoot better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast