Thread: 700 and 800 Fuel Economy

Default 700 and 800 Fuel Economy

Wondering if anyone knows what the 700 and 800s Polaris or other ATVs get for fuel economy. Trail riding in particular.

Thanks

I've rode with 800 popos and they say they don't get great MPG, I'm guessing they still get over 10MPG though. The 800 popo and the 750 Brute Force get the least MPG that I am aware of from riding with those guys. That said it's nothing to be concerned about unless you need a GREAT amount of MPG. Obviously the smaller CC engines get the best mileage.
    I do a lot of long 1 day trips (100+ miles) and if you carry one of the Kolpin flat gas cans strapped to your front racks on ANY atv, you'll be fine.
    I woudn't let the MPG of any atv be the deciding factor on a purchase.

I have a Grizzly 660 and a Grizzly 700 which we have been riding a lot this summer. With just a cooler on the rack with no big loads or pulling a trailer on any of these rides and riding mostly pretty well groomed trails I have been getting 20 miles per gallon with both machines. There hasn't been any difference in the two machines at all when I fill them up. This of course would change with the trail conditions and loads that I would be pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I have a Grizzly 660 and a Grizzly 700 which we have been riding a lot this summer. With just a cooler on the rack with no big loads or pulling a trailer on any of these rides and riding mostly pretty well groomed trails I have been getting 20 miles per gallon with both machines. There hasn't been any difference in the two machines at all when I fill them up. This of course would change with the trail conditions and loads that I would be pulling.
    I sure don't get 20MPG with my 660 Grizz but I got it jetted and piped and drive as fast as the trail will allow

I get around 15-18 with my Honda Rincon 680 with two people on it.

Talking 800 EFI Can Am...

On my recent Chicken Caribou hunt I got about 16 mpg. even on the way out with all my gear, all the meat from the caribou, antlers, and the ever changing trail. Everything from flat dirt, mud, and STEEP rock climbs. I got better mileage than my buddies 500 Arctic Cat. He even has a larger gas tank and we still ended with the same amount in our tanks at the end of the trip. His is carberated so that I'm sure has some to do with it. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. That's my 5 cents...

AZinAK

Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Thanks for all the info.
    Whatever machine you buy get one or two of those flat (kolpin) gas cans. The only way to go. Strap them to a rack and still be able strap gear or meat on top. They don't create an imbalance on one wheel like regular gas cans and they don't look stupid like them regular gas cans do straped to an atv

If you buy the flat gas cans, get them on ebay. You buy them locally and you'll get raped.

I left one of the flat gas cans full of gas on my machine when it got really hot out. The gas expanded because of the heat and I get about 3/4 of a gallon of gas more in it as it didn't shrink back. I haven't noticed any degridation to the tank as a result. If anyone has any bad experiences from their tank balooning up please let me know othewise there is a way to carry a bit more gas with you.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I left one of the flat gas cans full of gas on my machine when it got really hot out. The gas expanded because of the heat and I get about 3/4 of a gallon of gas more in it as it didn't shrink back. I haven't noticed any degridation to the tank as a result. If anyone has any bad experiences from their tank balooning up please let me know othewise there is a way to carry a bit more gas with you.
    I agree....I have two of them, and since they have expanded, I can know get a full 4 gallons into them. My Polaris 700 tank holds just under 4 gallons, and I can get about 60 miles per tank, depending on throttle usage. {I also run mud lite tires - larger than stock}

Those Kolpins are definitely the way to go. They are rated for about 200 lbs of weight bearing capacity. Don't waste your money on those Kolpin holders that mount the flat cans to your rack extensions (I did) and they broke rather quickly.

Just my 2 cents.....