Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Rings...

Unhappy Trouble with Rings...

Ok guys, went to sight my rifle scope in today & after the second shot my scope falls off, I am shooting a Savage 110 that originally came with a Simmons scope, but I bought a Leupold Vari X II 3-9x 40mm Scope & had to buy new rings, & have been having a heck of a time trying to find new rings. I thought I had the right rings two winters ago, & they were Warne Maxima Series quick detach, but alas, the ring fell off after the second shot.

Now I am trying to find a new set of rings & at Savage.com & they're showing that they have 2 peice scope mounts (not weaver style) but what the heck are Weaver style? Will that be for the rings I need to purchase for the Scope?

Now, I need to buy Leupold rings for a Leupold scope right? & if that's the case, I will need to buy new bases for them as well, correct?

Thanks in Advanced...

Default Leupold stuff = Happiness

Leupold scope + Leupold rings + Leupold bases = 1 happy Savage. A happy rifle is an accurate one. A set of Dual Dovetail rings and bases should do the trick for you if your rifle does not have iron sights, if it does then go with a set of QR1 rings and bases. Good Luck

You don't HAVE to buy Leopold rings and bases for a leopold scope. You do have to buy bases for the particular rifle then rings to go with the bases. The biggest thing with the rings is to insure they are the right diameter.
    Of course as Happy implies, matching them all together is a good idea

I have a savage in 338, mounted the 3200 bushnell scope on it, didn't like the rings, scope was to far forward because I added a Sims pad. So went to leupold rings and bases. But i ran into a little problem..the scope came loose, so I used locktite, got right back to my 1 inch groups for a couple sessions. Then the groups started to open out..front base mount screws actually stripped...talked to leupold and they sent me new screws, which are a tad longer, loktited it back together and haven't had a problem since. I have nothing but good to say about the folks at leupold and the way they helped. Got about 100 rounds threw the pipe now and no sign of moving....Desertdog

You don't have to go with leupold rings, but you do need rings that are compatable with your bases. If you do want to go leupold, get the dual dovetail bases. Also, do not use your scope to rotate the rings into the base, as you will damage the scope.

If you have weaver style scope bases, several manufacturers make rings that will work with those bases.

There is another option, Talley makes a 1 piece base/ring, but I don't know if they make them for Savages. I like simplicity, and these rings are it.

Default So how do we tell...

Weaver from non Weaver bases?

Great info guys! Thanks very much!

Are you familiar with the picatinny rail used on military arms? That is essentially what a weaver base is, only the weavers have a single cross slot vs multiple slots for the picatinny rail. Just about every ring and base maker has a weaver style setup. I don't know what type of bases your savage has, they might not be a weaver style. There is nothing wrong with going new rings/bases, but you shouldn't have to.

If still confused, just go into a real gunstore, Boondocks in Eagle River or Great Northern guns, and they'll be able to sort you out.

Red face I live waaay out in the bush...

There Paul, thanks for the info though...

Anyone know what siz rings to buy my scope? 26mm, 30mm, or 1" rings? remember it's the 40mm objective on a Leupold 3-9x Vari X II...

Thanks...

Default Ring sizing

1" rings is what you need. To be sure you could measure the skinny part. 1" wide = 1" rings, 1&1/4" wide = 30mm rings

If you use Leupold rings, a 1" piece of dowel rod works great for rotating the rings on the bases.

Default Rings

I have been using the 1" Warne quick detach rings on my .338 for years and they work fine. Do you have the Warne Maxima bases on your rifle? It sounds like you don't or if you do it sounds like you did not clamp the rings on correctly.

Default Rings, bases and such...

If I was on the other side of the counter trying to sell you a set of rings and bases, I'd be pushing the Weaver setup!
    Absolutely stone reliable. Comparatively inexpensive. They can be removed with the back of a pocket knife blade to use iron sights, AND, despite claims to the contrary, they come the closest to returning to zero when reinstalled out of all the base/ring combinations I've tried with the single exception of the Leupold QR's. (by the way, I can buy two complete Weaver setups for the cost of those Leupold QR's...)
    Whatever you elect to go with, one consideration I haven't heard mentioned is ring height. With that 40mm objective lense, you're going to need at least a medium height, and more likely a set of highs to get barrel and bolt handle clearance.
    If I was depending on the mail plane, I'd go with highs to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Ok guys, went to sight my rifle scope in today & after the second shot my scope falls off, I am shooting a Savage 110 that originally came with a Simmons scope, but I bought a Leupold Vari X II 3-9x 40mm Scope & had to buy new rings, & have been having a heck of a time trying to find new rings. I thought I had the right rings two winters ago, & they were Warne Maxima Series quick detach, but alas, the ring fell off after the second shot.

Now I am trying to find a new set of rings & at Savage.com & they're showing that they have 2 peice scope mounts (not weaver style) but what the heck are Weaver style? Will that be for the rings I need to purchase for the Scope?

Now, I need to buy Leupold rings for a Leupold scope right? & if that's the case, I will need to buy new bases for them as well, correct?

Thanks in Advanced...
    First a question or two because something here doesn't jive.
    Is your Savage a Accu-trigger or old style? These guns have two different receivers. The rear base is the same as the front on the Accu-trigger but different on the older receiver. The reason the dozen or so I've seen come of is because the wrong base is used on the back.

Secondly, does your rifle have a brake on it? This will sometimes stress out the mounts and kill them. If you're in the Fairbnks area send me an email and we'll set up a time when I can fix your mounts or at least get the right mounts for it.

Weaver style bases are now what is known as the universal rail (picatinney)base. Weaver grand slam bases and rings are very strong and inexpensive. Warne maxima base and rings are very similar, also good. You don't need Leupold rings and bases for their scope but they do have an on line system that will tell you which scope uses which rings and bases for whch rifle. http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart They will tell you the height you need. And if they say medium Leupold you could use medium Warne or Weaver, etc.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-17-2007 at 08:24.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

"Is you savage a Accu-trigger or old style?"

Old Style, it's a flat receiver, I bought Leupold mounts for it last year, but it was for a round recceiver...those mounts are up for sale now if anyone needs Savage 110 round receiver mounts...

"Secondly, does your rifle have a brake on it?" No muzzle break...

I have a long action, & the old bases, the slots, on the bases don't fit the Warne quick release rings, where the little ring breaks go...so the scope falls off, after 2 or three shots, no matter how tight, the bases are, all the time, from the concussion of the shooting.

"Do you have the Warne Maxima bases on your rifle?" No, I have the factory bases that came with the Simmons scope...

Smile Bases

Put the Warne Maxima bases on your rifle, clamp the scope on with the rings you have and go kill something!

Default Ok, I found something out...

I just bought a DVD titled "Understanding Ballistics & Scopes" & the presenter in the DVD has a factory set up, & Leupold scope, he had to drill another hole, & offset the rear base about a 1/2" forward, above the bolt action itself, for the scope to fit...looks like I am going to have to drill for my scope to fit...

Default Before You Drill An Unneeded Hole In Your Receiver...

Check these out...You can use standard Leupold or Redfield or Burris bases AND these rings to position your scope farther forward or back, depending on which way you mount them to your scope.
    Also available are offset bases, which I use on a couple of rifles, (Model 70's) with standard rings and short tubed scopes.
    Leave the drill alone until you investigate these....
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...ion-ring-sets/
    Burris also offers extension rings, with front offset std rear, or rear offset, std front in low, medium, and high 1".
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-05-2007 at 10:39. Reason: additional info

I just bought a DVD titled "Understanding Ballistics & Scopes" & the presenter in the DVD has a factory set up, & Leupold scope, he had to drill another hole, & offset the rear base about a 1/2" forward, above the bolt action itself, for the scope to fit...looks like I am going to have to drill for my scope to fit...
    There are at least a half dozen sets of bases that will securely mount a scope, in various styles of rings, on your Savage 110 rifle. If you have the old style flat back receiver, many bases are available. I thought I sent you info on different bases. There is no reason to drill extra holes to mount a scope on your rifle. If you want to use the Maxima rings you must use Maxima bases or Leupold QRW bases or Weaver Grand slam, nothing else will work. ( I think Ferrell makes a one piece with about 20 MOA of drop, but you don't need that.)

I think the unknown bases that are on it now need to be replaced with something that will hold the type of ring you desire. I think you are putting a ring on a base that isn't designed for it. I hate to say buy something else as it seems you've already spent more money on the scope mounts (including the video) than you did on the rifle. Work with me and we can get this figgured out. Did you get the info on the Leupold bases? If an offset ring is needed, they are available. I cannot speak to the information on the video, but that doesn't sound very modern. Your Savage is drilled and tapped (correctly, I presume).

I need to know if you want/need to stay with those detachable mounts and I'll send the info again, or if you want I'll order the correct bases for your rifle. I think you really just need a set of bases for that rifle that the Maxima rings will fit. Your 3-9x40 Leupold is an easy scope to mount, no offset ring needed, and will take 1" low rings (or medium if you have them already). I've mounted about a dozen of those scopes on Savage rifles.

Just trying to help out a little.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Problem Solved!!!!

My lil' nephew (real stinker sometimes) had a .22 with a long scope base, & I tested the screw holes on the forward part of my receiver, & they fit! He sold it to me, & So I just marked where I needed the base cut & VIOLA! Problem Solved! I know have scope mounts that fit my rings!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Now all I need is the lil tiny peice of steel holding pin for the front ring, I have one for the rear ring but will need one for the front ring...Anyone with a spare pin they could let go of?

Thanks for all, for all your input!

Marv...

My lil' nephew (real stinker sometimes) had a .22 with a long scope base, & I tested the screw holes on the forward part of my receiver, & they fit! He sold it to me, & So I just marked where I needed the base cut & VIOLA! Problem Solved! I know have scope mounts that fit my rings!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Now all I need is the lil tiny peice of steel holding pin for the front ring, I have one for the rear ring but will need one for the front ring...Anyone with a spare pin they could let go of?

Thanks for all, for all your input!

Marv...
    Well! I ordered Warne bases with an extension front for your Warne rings you say you have. It came in Saturday. I have it all packaged to mail to you today, I guess this means you don't need it since you are satisfied with the modified aluminimum 22 base. Those should work well for you! I wouldn't anticipate any problems. So much for my last attempt to help somebody out!
    Way too much misinformation in this for me anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast