Thread: valdez silvers?

Default valdez silvers?

anybody catching any silvers around valdez. headed down from fbks thursday with small boat. any info would be greatly appriciated. thanks much dan

Default In

They are in and still more coming. Caught 18 in the past 2 days just playing around. I saw them jumping in the port near the city dock but fished Jack Bay instead.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    They are in and still more coming. Caught 18 in the past 2 days just playing around. I saw them jumping in the port near the city dock but fished Jack Bay instead.
    Are the fish at depths were downriggers are being needed or can pink ladies do it? I have both, just wondering is all. Is the limit still 3 per person in the saltwater? Thanks...

Just got back from Valdez yesterday, we caught silvers from shoup bay to sawmill with dowmriggers at 70ft to 30ft, the fish we caught were all over the water column. Lost a downrigger weight and had to resort to one diver, caught a few on this setup but the downriggers hit 3 to 1 for us. We would find a school of bait fish and start mooching while motoring in a circle above the bait fish, we got into some clusters of feeding frenzy, you could drop a bare hook and let out 20ft of line and one jig of the pole you would have a fish on. Check with the local trooper in valdez, there is a line form a point to another point that allows for 6 salmon a day, I cant remember the boundaries but I think it was from the south side of the narrows north to the harbor but I would check with the trooper before you took my word for it, make sure you have your coast guard required gear before you go out, I was boarded twice in 5 days. Good Fishing. PM me for a killer hootchie rig tip.

Talking

RECRE8R, that's great! Sent you a PM...

Default All

We caught all the fish on pink ladies.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default thanks for replies

Have only fished for silvers one other time a couple of years ago
    We used dipsy-divers with some lure -- don't remember what --
    Can we use this pink lady with a dipsy diver ?
    Any other tackle set-up suggestions would be appreciated.
    Sounds like trolling speed is 2 - 2 1/2 mph ?
    Thanks much, Dan

If you don't have downriggers,

Pink Lady--------Flasher--------Lure of Choice

We try and stay between 2 and 2.5 knots...luckily that's what our boat runs with one engine idling.

Default thanks!

53 years in AK and only 2nd time fishing for silvers. Guess not spending enough time fishing! Will have to do something about that. Taking my 13' inflateable with 25hp. Weather depending might venture all the way out to shoup bay. Have friend with real boat there also. thanks for any and all the tips! Dan

Default Silvers

We trolled near the old Gold mine near Shoup bay and caught five nice silvers on a green hootchie and herring in a very short time. Could have caught a lot more but the cooler was full and it was a windy day.

Two of us limited in about 4 hours today. We ran past the mob at the Cliff Mine and did some trolling in the Sawmill area. It was slow but we picked up a few. Moved back by Shoup Bay and the mine and joined the mob. The fishing was good and we limited quickly. Downriggers set at 48-55 feet. Shallower depths were not as productive for us. We did see others picking them up with pink ladies and deep six's.

Herring worked better then Apex's or Hoochies. We ran out of small herring and had to put on some strips cut from our halibut bait. It worked well.

Prince William Sound “terminal harvest areas” and bag limits for coho (silver) salmon

In the following terminal harvest areas, the bag and possession limits for salmon, except king salmon, are 6 per day/12 in possession, regardless of species:

...VALDEZ—all marine waters north of a line from Point Freemantle to Rocky Point, excluding Jack, Galena, and Sawmill bays...