Thread: CB Vs. VHF on rivers

Default CB Vs. VHF on rivers

How many of you guys on rivers (if any) have CB radios in you're boats? How many have and actually monitor VHF radios on rivers?

I have an older CB radio that I can hook up in my boat, but I don't see much point if I will be listening/talking to myself.

thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Cool

I have a unit that runs both your standard CB channels and VHF I always have it on. I have never actually heard anyone on it unfortunately. Not unless I'm down at seward or valdez; and then of course just on the VHF frequencies. Its great for monitoring weather if your within reach of a NOAH transmitter. My feeling overall is no one actively uses the CB frequencies. But who know if you get into trouble one day it might be worth having it just in case.

Default VHF on all the time

I have a VHF that I installed on my jet boat, and I turn it on once the boat leaves the trailer, and don't turn it off until back on the trailer. We run mostly rivers, but head to seward about 2 times a yr also. Most of the chatter is while on the salt, but have heard people while on the rivers. I think having any radio on while boating is just smart, you might need help, or maybe you can assist someone in the future.
    just my .02

I have both on my river boat.

Default Cabin's on the river

Often, cabin owners use both and routinely have them on as well. So, in an emergency, you might be able to raise someone hanging out at thier cabin even if the river is empty of boaters.
    Just a thought.
    BK

If running the Lower Big Su/Yetena Rivers CG out of Kodiak is reachable in an emergency depending on location.

I run both and have never heard anyone on the CB in years.