Thread: Jacksana River

Smile Jacksana River

Was curious if anybody has hunted sheep south of Nabesna? According to the Alaska Bible, the Jacksana River and creek are in the Wrangell Preserve! Just wondering if there are any sheep in the vicinity? Just trying to get possible ideas for next years walk in sheep hunt!

Default ?Jacksina Creek

If you are talking about Jacksina Creek then there are some monster rams that have been taken from that area but as I understand it, there has been a lot of hunting pressure in that area the last 10 to 15 yrs. Tumble Creek is an old guide "honey hole" that, at least in the past, none of the air taxi services would take a resident hunter into. I tried to get in there in the late '90's and although the air taxi operator (now dead) admitted it was a great place for trophy rams he would not take me there because "it was a guide's area" - end of discussion.
    Last edited by shphtr; 08-14-2007 at 21:39. Reason: edit spelling

if you want to get in over on that side....your going to have to do it all yourself. The "once appreciative of local resident hunters" air service not only won't take you, they won't hardly even talk to you.

Great area over on that side - ALL of it, not just Jacksina or Tumble. Beautiful area to hunt as well, rugged~ and if you are willing to put in the time, then you could have a great hunt, and probably not see many other hunters. Above all you will see some of the most fantastic country Alaska has to offer.

Maybe carry and extra 8 to 10 pounds over that magic 50lb limit of extra weight heading in, and you could even eat a little extra the first couple of days. *Pun Intented*

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    if you want to get in over on that side....your going to have to do it all yourself.
    It's a few years out, but I'm hoping to check out the Wrangells on my own at some point in the future. I'm still learning the ropes in a cub - I've got 6 years in a 172, but am just starting out on a traildragger - but I'll always have access to one and hope to learn off-field landings next year or the year after. That being said, are there a number of reasonable places to land out in that direction? Does one need to risk life and limb to get into those mountains, or can a reasonably skilled and practiced cub pilot find places to explore out there? Again, I wouldn't even try until I have a number of years and loads of practice in a cub, but eventually....

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    if you want to get in over on that side....your going to have to do it all yourself. The "once appreciative of local resident hunters" air service not only won't take you, they won't hardly even talk to you.

Great area over on that side - ALL of it, not just Jacksina or Tumble. Beautiful area to hunt as well, rugged~ and if you are willing to put in the time, then you could have a great hunt, and probably not see many other hunters. Above all you will see some of the most fantastic country Alaska has to offer.

Maybe carry and extra 8 to 10 pounds over that magic 50lb limit of extra weight heading in, and you could even eat a little extra the first couple of days. *Pun Intented*
    Would you PM me the air taxis that won't take you in? I would love to fly in, but my young legs will still take me there, just a lot more time to get there. I have the Alaska TOPO for the computer, it would be a good 17-20 miles one way from Nabesna. Better get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    If you are talking about Jacksina Creek then there are some monster rams that have been taken from that area but as I understand it, there has been a lot of hunting pressure in that area the last 10 to 15 yrs. Tumble Creek is an old guide "honey hole" that, at least in the past, none of the air taxi services would take a resident hunter into. I tried to get in there in the late '90's and although the air taxi operator (now dead) admitted it was a great place for trophy rams he would not take me there because "it was a guide's area" - end of discussion.
    Shphtr, could you also PM me the air taxi that wouldn't take you in if they still operate? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's a few years out, but I'm hoping to check out the Wrangells on my own at some point in the future. I'm still learning the ropes in a cub - I've got 6 years in a 172, but am just starting out on a traildragger - but I'll always have access to one and hope to learn off-field landings next year or the year after. That being said, are there a number of reasonable places to land out in that direction? Does one need to risk life and limb to get into those mountains, or can a reasonably skilled and practiced cub pilot find places to explore out there? Again, I wouldn't even try until I have a number of years and loads of practice in a cub, but eventually....
    Brian, do you have your Private Pilot's license? I want to get mine. Seeing Alaska from the air is just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    Brian, do you have your Private Pilot's license? I want to get mine. Seeing Alaska from the air is just beautiful.
    Yep, I do. I am very fortunate to have two parents who have airplanes. Although I've been out of the house for 10 years, they still eagerly encourage me to take their planes out whenever I want to. No complaints here!

Default Found Air Taxi

I'm happy that I found an air taxi into this area for a reasonable price. Thanks for the help.