Thread: Pigot bay shrimp ?

Default Pigot bay shrimp ?

Staying at the Pigot bay cabin 4 nights next week. Would appreciate any info on shrimping in Pigot bay. New to shrimping--first time. Have two new pots rigged and ready. Is Pigot Bay worth setting them out? Any general location or areas? This seems like a shot in the dark to me, but gotta start somewhere I guess. Thanks for any information.

First of all, take a look in the old archives. I know that this was addressed a few times last summer. From memory, though, I feel like most people said that they caught some shrimp out in the mouth of the bay and around the points, but not a lot. You don't really need a lot for a tasty treat, though, so it's certainly worth a try. Since you have 4 days, though, you might give a few different locations a try. Head out around the corner and find some areas of 300-500 feet to set in. Maybe a different spot each day until you hit the jackpot? You can pull them twice a day, actually, but I prefer to let them sit 24 hours. Good luck to you!

-Brian

right outside the bay and just right in side a good place.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Pigot Shrimp

I tried Pigot when I was new to shrimping and was very disappointed in my catch.

I have had better catches in the northern entrance to Culross Passage in about 400 ft of water. I don't set there often, as it is not close to where we usually stay, but in a pinch I can pick up enough for dinner there in one set. That was NOT the case for me at the entrance to Pigot.

John

With 5 pots I was getting anywhere 50 to 200 each set. but I set in 600 feet of water
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK