Thread: Bugs

Default Bugs

Are the Mosquitos a problem in Kotz. Area in Mid September? Will be there Bou Hunting. Just wondering if I need to bring anything special .

Default Several Years

It's been several years since I was in Kotz but we were there in Sept and it was cold. Very few bugs. However, anywhere I go in Alaska in early fall, I carry a head net and insect repellant.

Phil is right. Unless its winter, ALWAYS take a head net with you. Better to have it and not need it then not have it. I also take a pair of light gloves to wear against bugs and to protect hands. If its not the mosquitos its those darn little white wings or no see ums chewing on you or trying to go up your nose.

Default Take it all

Last year on my fly-in moose float hunt, the black flies were unbearable. My hands were so swollen that I thought I was going to need to cut my wedding ring to get it off. They would go away in the morning but, as soon as the sun got up they were out in force. Take a net, gloves and deet. As said above better to have it and not need it than the other way around. If I could have come home I would have, they were that bad.

Steve

We were up in that area last year til early Sept. It was below freezing nearly each night which kills them off fast and just a few random skeeters. This was around the Kelly/Kug areas. I think by mid Sept you'll be more worried about freezing your balls off than skeeters.

As others said though, deet and bug net doesn't take up much space or weight.

Default Kotz

Was on the Squirrel River last Sept 8-15, temps in the days got up to 70, all the bugs were out in force. Hope for cold but plan for anything.

I've been out more than once when night time temps were below freezing with frost on the tent and ice on the water. If the temp goes up during the day, the bugs return in force. Be prepared. I sympathize with stid, I know exactly (or close enough) how he felt.