Thread: Bedding the forend tip of a Ruger

Default Bedding the forend tip of a Ruger

A while back I had made a post about a Ruger km77 .300 win that I was having accuracy issues with. I can't remember who said it but someone pointed out that if all else failed I should try and put a match book between the forend and barrel to see if I needed to bed the tip. At the time I discounted the idea as it doesn't fit the mainstream idea of "free floating the barrel." Anyways, I was down to my last wire with this gun and tried and it works incredible. Groups went from about 2" to 3/4". So now i am trying to get some info on how to bed the forend correctly. I haven't found a lot of info about it on the net or this site. I have read about people just taping the barrel and one guy who bedded in a scope ring for the barrel to sit on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Lastly, does anyone know why this worked when bedding, free floating etc did not?

I use plastic shims (or dead cats) and try with one then two then three to find what thickness gives the best tension. The just measure the shims for thickness and tape that much of the barrel except where you put the shims and that will give about the same tension when the rifle is stocked. This will form a little band of bedding for contact with the barrel at the appropriate point. Don't forget the release agent. Twice!

Some barrels just shoot better with tension on the forend, some shoot better without anything touching (floated).
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Mountains of VA

When you fire the rifle, the bullet travels down the barrel setting up vibrations much like a tuning fork. Of course, these vibrations affect the accuracy depending on the amount of vibration. That is why bull barrels are popular for target guns. They are stiffer.

A pressure point on a rifle barrel can negatively affect accuracy. Esp if it is a high spot on a wood stock that keeps changing the pressure as the wood drys then re-absorbs moisture.

So bedding the action and free-floating the barrel is a popular way to improve the accuracy of a rifle. Some guns, however, shoot better when the barrel is fully bedded or like most Ruger 77's, the barrel floats but has a bridge near the forend tip to dampen oscillations.

I free float the barrel then shoot it. Like you discovered, I usually get about a 2" group.

I then loosen the barrel screw and insert a 1/2 inch strip cut from one of those ****ed credit cards (I did not ask for) between the barrel and stock. Tighten the screw.

I shoot another group. If it isn't less than 1 " I move the credit card back a quarter inch then shoot some more. Usually the "sweet spot" is within a inch.

I glue the card strip to the stock and cut off the access.

I found this post by Gale McMillan a while back. I actually did this a long time before this advice was posted so I saved it as conformation of how to do it and why it works. I was just tinkering and it worked without me knowing why. Don't forget to tape off the areas you don't want epoxied, and to use release agent.

Posted: 01-08-200007:08 PM
    Quality barrels will perform better free floated but poor quality barrel will perform better with a 3 to 5 lb fore end pressure. The reason for this is that
    poor quality production barrels are not stress relieved and will tend to walk as it heats up. By putting fore end pressure you are actually bending the
    barrel upward in an ark so that as the bullet starts down the bore it is trying to straighten out the gentle bow induced by fore end pressure and it holds
    the barrel against that force. This causes the bullet to exit at the same vibration point shot to shot even though there may be a velocity spread. It is best
    to bed the rifle with free floated barrel as it is easy to bed the barrel with fore end pressure should it not shoot free floated. Just hold the stock in a
    vice and hang a 5 lb weight to the front swivel and put bedding material in place in the fore end tip and let set up. This means that free floating is not a
    panacea and does not always help. Some do and some don't This is why all factory barrels are generally bedded with fore end pressure