Thread: lures for char & grayling

Default lures for char & grayling

I'll be caribou hunting in GMU 26, hopefully close to one of the major rivers that hold arctic char and grayling. I'm bringing my little pack spinning rod. What lures (spoons, spinners, etc) will work for char and grayling? I've never fished them before. Thanks.

Default Yooper Boy

Standard Small Mouth Bass Action will get you in the mix. Size 2 Meps or in AK Vibrex couple of different colors will do ou fine. If the Char are running big i.e. over 3 lbs change up to a size 3 or 4 blade on your spinners. Standard 6 - 8 lbs line shuold fit the bill unless you are in again bigger Char then you might wish to jump up 10-12 Lbs line.

FYI, I fished them with Little Cleo's, Mepps, Virbex, Pixie's, small Flat Fish, but most of all Flies over the past 15 years.

Best wishes!

Blue Moose

Only done a small bit of char fishing, but small spinner are really good for greyling. also flys work good too. The only char I've intentionally caught were caught while fishing with beads.

good luck,

I have the same question regarding grayling. I know that they need to be small spinners, but is there an opinion regarding what colors work best? I seem to have the best luck for grayling on black color flies. Is that the same case with lures?
    Thanks

Default literally anything for grayling

Any small shiny object...or actually any small object with a hook will catch grayling....i've had days where they have attacked the barrel swivel on my line more than anything else i've tried.

Default Grayling Getter...

The quarter ounce Johnson silver sprite spoon has been my favorite for these guys for years.

I use ultra-light 4 lb with a loose drag for full play.

Grayling are easy to cut and are what pan-frying is all about...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thanks for taking the time to type an answer everyone. Much appreciated.

Default spinners...

I had my best luck with 1/4 and 3/8 ounce Panther Martins and Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. They favored the gold and silver colors. Did well with metallic blue also. Most my fishing was in late August up above Kotzebue on the Kelly and Kugururok (tribs of lower Noatak). Not sure where you will be, but I suspect the same colors would work well. Found our best fishing in the deeper holes along the rivers and anywhere that a small trib entered the river. Also behing rootballs in the edge of the river. Good luck.