Thread: Questions about Remington .338 Ultra Mag

Default Questions about Remington .338 Ultra Mag

Hello Guys, recently aquired a Remington .338 ultra mag.

Here are a few questions for ya.

1. Do you recommend that I get a muzzle break for this rifle?

2. With the recoil being pretty bad on this rifle, how much does this effect the accuracy?

3. How much do muzzle breaks typically cost?

Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by coldnorthpole View Post
    Hello Guys, recently aquired a Remington .338 ultra mag.

Here are a few questions for ya.

1. Do you recommend that I get a muzzle break for this rifle?

2. With the recoil being pretty bad on this rifle, how much does this effect the accuracy?

3. How much do muzzle breaks typically cost?

Thanks for the help guys!
    1. No. Toughen up.

2. None. It may or may not effect the shooter.

3. $200. Save your money. If you are of normal good health and need a muzzle brake on your rifle you have too much rifle. Put a good pad on it if not so equiped, stand tall and shoot.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy,

In regards to the recoil, I wasn't worried about getting a sore shoulder. It was directed at the accuracy.

Thanks for the help!

It takes a lot of concentration to handle recoil like that but it can definately be done. If you choose to have a muzzle brake they do work especially on the 338 RUM and other large powder charge cartridges. I've had a few rifles with brakes on them and don't have any problem with them.

You might be able to shoot it a little more accurately if doesn't kick quite so bad but you probably would be better served working you way up to the heavy loads in the 338 RUM. Starting out at 338 Winchester levels or lower will help you build up your recoil endurance.

I have an unbraked 6lb 4oz 375 H&H that I shoot without a brake but it does take A LOT of concentration to keep from flinching. You better off shooting a 30/06 without flinching than flinching with your 338 RUM.

All that said I think the 338 RUM is one of the best all around long range alaskan cartridges and would love to have another one. I'll get around to it some day. 225gr Accubonds and Retumbo powder is a great combination.