Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier silvers

Default Whittier silvers

Hows the run doing and where do you expect them to be this weekend ?

Default Excellent...Everywhere

There were schools all up and down knight Passage last weekend, all the way to Montague. If I were you I'd fish Ship creek though.

Ive tried ship... fish are there but they just wont bite..

Whats youre reasoning behind going to ship however

Default My reasoning..

Because I fish Whittier!

And because I've seen some of your other posts. You're always askin' "where do I fish?...what do I use?...How do I wipe my..." at Ship Creek you won't have to ask, you can just look to your right and then to your left and do as they do.

That's not a hit on ship Creek, I think ship Creek is great in it's own unique way. where else can you get off work in a big city, walk down and catch a salmon and then go walk up the hill and have a beer at Humpy's!!

getting out and exploring is half the fun though, go find them yourself. I just started fishing whittier this year and found holes by exploring . My boat was 3 for 3 on halibut limits this summer (2 over 60-lb) and 1 for 1 on silver limits. Nobody told me where the fish were, and now I have some good spots where nobody else fishes. I refuse to go to Piggot point where everyone else is.

Talking Whittier Silvers

Fishwhacker,
    I was in whittier yesterday. There are silvers starting to show up in the harbor. They are being caught along the break wall, in front of the fuel dock and back around toward the stream at the head of the bay.
    The reason people aren't willing to share halibut info is they only have one or two spots to catch them. If you want to email me direct, I will tell you where to catch halibut. I have NEVER been skunked (my boat that is) out of whittier. Shoot me a PM and I will answer with my email address. Then I will tell you where to go. I am headed back down tomorrow, I can get you some gps coordinates if you want.
    The silvers should be in the harbor pretty good by the weekend. I usually get a slip and fish for them off my boat, I will email you when I do that and you are welcome to come fish on the boat.

Default Shipbum

My wife and I were picking berries there and there were some silvers seen jumping-and they were not pinks! I have a feeling this will be a good whittier silver year-at least better than cook inlet!

Yep whitter really sounds like the best place to catch... *cough* not see a silver :P, did you see them jumping from the town itself?

Thumbs down Info? Nothing doing

Fishwacker,
    It seems like you want everyone to do the work for you. You want us to catch your fish for you also? This is a give and take post. It seems like you just want to take.

May i ask what youve given this forum with youre 7 posts, 6 not including this one? Ive filed a report on every trip ive been on... And you gotta learn before you can help others , and thats what im doing... learning. So if you wana be like that, please shine my shoes while youre at it.

- If i could be out on the water exploring , believe me I would,
    - However I can only travel to whittier or any other given location about once a year.. so id like to have a general idea of what to do
    - This is my first year of real fishing and Im trying to cram as much learning in as possible, maybe a little too much
    - Once I own my own boat, believe me ill be giving alot more advice then taking

If i wasnt asking questions here, youd proably see me trying to fish for silvers with a pixie on top of the water for silvers .. I didnt even know what trolling was until I started exploring these forums, I cant wait for the day that Ive learned enough to help other beginers, guess Ill just be hated for asking too many questions in the mean time.

Guys, please relax with the criticism. If you don't want to share info on locations or techniques, you don't have to. Fishwhacker is a 14 year old here asking questions on how/where to catch fish. As a high school teacher, I wish there were more 14 year olds with such an interest in fishing. The majority of my students are much more interested in their music, video games, or worse. I for one am glad that Fishwhacker is here to learn.

Thanks for that brian, I am new to this site and have been logged in since joining 2 weeks ago, im comming up for the first time friday and like fishwacker i am not posting anything yet, just leaning as much as possible. this is a great site and thanks to all who post and help. GarryJ

Hi!!! I would say to both you and fishwacker just ask away. People will either answer or not. I don't fish whittier all that much, but I think I told Fishwacker to call the resturaunt or the boat rental place (that was actually someone else's good idea come to think of it) to see if the silvers are in.

I do know one year I timed it perfectely and had one of the best fishing days of my life. Late september, silvers everywhere (Big ones), and 6 fish if you wanted. Mountains had some dust on em, it was kinda cold and crisp. Man it was awesome. That was 7 years ago, and I haven't been able to time it as good since.

Default Trip report

I was out on Monday (glorious day!) and didn't see any silvers jumping in the bay. I did see a couple of guys fishing near the mouth though when I was driving out. The fishing was pretty good and we stayed inside of pigot point. I think a boat would be your best bet right now. Best of luck!

Default I may have sounded a little harsh, but...

My advice still stands....get out and explore, don't just follow the herd. Learning comes from trial and error, not from being spoon fed information.

fishwacker's original question of whether the Whittier silver run was good this year, was a legitimate question....no reason to go in that direction if fish are not showing up (I very much appreciated all the posts about when the Kenai reds were starting to show). Last weekend the fish were everywhere in PWS, they will likely be again this weekend. That's how I answered the second question. The fish don't all stay in one spot, and they are not all in one school. Some of those schools are headed for the harbor, some are headed for various streams. They'll pool at a spot for a while and feed and then eventually move on.

It does seem a little early for the silvers to show up at the harbor however, I didn't think they showed up until September. Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong, it won't be the first time.

Hey Fishwacker,

I fish Whitteir from a boat so I don't know much about the shore stuff, but...

I have started to see some folks fishing from shore using pixies and large mepps.

There's enough fish in the sea for everyone!

Good luck and happy fishing.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

We have a boat o.o

head out of passage canal and Look for jumpers that could be silvers, stop and aggressively jig or troll a crippled herring jig. The silvers can't help but to attack them.

There's other methods that I'm sure will catch them but that's what worked for me last week. Use a steel leader.

doesnt look like the seas are going to cooperate this weekend... forecasted for 3-4 ft in passage cannal and 6ft in PWS

Talking When the peak occurs in whittier harbor..

The peak from shore in Whittier is usually around the 20th of September-with wide variation. I am no Whittier expert here. However, about 5 years ago Whittier had an amazing run-it was no secret-cell phones quickly increased congestion. I remember catching 6 silvers to 16# (all over 10#!) in a brief period. I have fished there in September and October since, and have caught the silvers bright into mid October. Some years small and fewer fish.I think BIG Silvers jumping now may be a good sign-and after the bummer silver fishing in Cook Inlet, it gives us one more chance to hope for a day where the fishing is grand for everyone.

Fishwacker, keep asking questions-then start posting your results. It seems like my kids and wife always outfish me in the Ocean, but they never tell me their secrets!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    doesnt look like the seas are going to cooperate this weekend... forecasted for 3-4 ft in passage cannal and 6ft in PWS
    Don't get too excited about weather forecasts for the sound. It always changes and as a matter of fact, the NOAA report is already much better than it was this morning and it will be different again tomorrow.

Also, check the Passage canal buoy info in the morning before leaving home. It's been down for maintenance all summer and because it just went back into service I didn't believe what it was telling me on Saturday and missed a good day on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast