Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunk airboat on the chulitna ???

Default Sunk airboat on the chulitna ???

Anybody know who flipped their airboat and sank it on the chulitna river this weekend ? Heard they were ok but thats it , I was going to ride up and take a look at who's boat it was but I broke the prop on my airboat Friday.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Question

I believe it was Scott Crinklaw who sunk his airboat. He's the guy that runs Fletchers Archery in Wasilla. Heard he lost some guns, gear, etc... No real injuries to report, so that's good. Unless there are 2 sunk airboats out there, I'd bet that it was Scott. Bummer...

Thanks SwampDonkey ,
    I run that river everyday ,And my phone was ringing off the hook wanting to know if that was one of my boats, Glad everybody is ok.

Found the airboat yesterday here are some photos ,If you know who owns it they should be able to get it up on the gravel bar and maybe get it back to the Talkeetna launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All I have to say about the pics is............WOW, what a scary moment that would have been.

I'd be interested to know how the boat sank and the moments leading up to it. I have never been in that type of situation but I would like to know how something like that happens so I can watch out for it in the future.

By looking at the pics it almost looks like one of Leonards early airboats. Maybe a lycoming or rotax engine, 14' hull by my guestimation. The hull design and cage is familiar but the seats and controls are something I have not seen on Leonards boats. Maybe a home built boat? Or it's a gator boat, tough to tell without seeing the entire boat.

I would also like to know some more information on what happened. Not looking to judge anybody, but after the Maclaren accident and others the past few years I would like to know what is going on. Also saw on Dirty Jobs the one they dumped over in the swamps and never explained why. After running an airboat on the Copper, Tazlina, and Tanana rivers I'm curious what mistakes are being made. Or do these boats not have higher sides and are just getting swamped in rough water? Always eager to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I would also like to know some more information on what happened. . Also saw on Dirty Jobs the one they dumped over in the swamps and never explained why.
    Where they flipped the boat I run that everyday in my 22 ft airboat and there are 3 different currents running in that one spot and if you come off the shallow to fast that middle current is running about 11 mph, And in that little boat thats what might of happened ,OR they came around the corner and ran into Mahay's Queen that thing puts out about a 3 ft wake when it comes by.

If you watch Dirty jobs again they did say that all the camera crew jumped to one side of the boat and it tipped over.

I talked with Scott today. It is his boat and he was surprised to see the pictures here. They were sitting still on a sandbar and started powering up to move and the boat simply, in slow motion started to flip. He said it was totally wierd, they knew it was happening and couldn't do anything to stop it. Sounds bizarre but things happen.

They went up the other day and bailed the boat out, started floating down and all was well until another boats wake swamped it yet a second time farely close to the launch. I offered to help him retrieve it this week so we'll see how his pulse is beating. He wasn't very happy with the whole chain of events.

Surprised !! Heck he is in every photo album from here to timbucktoo

That is one of Mahay's riverboat stops and mine as well for tourist to take photos ,If he is interested drop me a P.M My friend is bringing his 24 ft airboat up Monday he can hook it up and drag it up on that gravel bar ,But that would be up to those two to talk about it.

Akbighorn,
    Never got a P.M from you and I did not know Scotts number ,But let him know that we pulled his boat out and it is high and dry tell him to bring a bilge pump and he is good to go. Tell him thats the fastest that boat has seen

A few more

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    If you watch Dirty jobs again they did say that all the camera crew jumped to one side of the boat and it tipped over.
    Thanks for the info. Mike Rowe is always giving his producer a hard time. I thought he was joking when he said it tipped over from them standing on one side. Smallest airboat I've run is an 18 footer with a 454. Looking at those pictures again I can see how small that rig is and can't imagine how it reacts in big water. Good job pulling it up. I'm sure it's appreciated.

That is one sweet boat your friend has!

Roger you shouldn't have posted those pictures, because now I have airboat fever all over again.

Roger,
    I just let him know that you guys pulled it out for him. He sounded much happier knowing its still ok. I can't speak for him but you know it is appreciated.

No problem !!! We Airboaters have to stick togather, We are misunderstood breed of people .

Its going to need a little work ,It looks like it took a beating but the hull cage and stand look good. Bill said he might even be able to fire that aircraft engine up ,But I would not try it with that prop it was water logged and it might explode into a million toothpicks.

Roger that is what makes Alaska great! People like your buddy pulling out a strangers sunk boat for nothing.

Now you need to give us the details on your buddies airboat. That thing looks like a beast!

Talking

I don't know who to thank Jeremy let me know about you heros last night. I sure couldn't have gotten it out by myself I have kinda run out of boats right now. Anyway, thanks so much and if I owe you anything come by the shop and I'll pay up. At least let me buy the gas and beer.

No problem !!! I'll P.M you later and you can thank Andy ,

broncoformudv,

Well Andy's boat is 24 with an 8ft bottom powered by that new Levatator by GM, has the counter rotator .I'm putting that thing on my boat this winter(Engine), They are fine tuned for airboats only you can get 1500 hrs out of that engine that's SUPER if you know anything about airboats . The cab on his boat lifts up and the front of the boat drops open and you can drive a 8x8 argo with standard tracks on it,Andy and Bill are building them custom ,Here is my boat they built 22 with a 7 ft bottom diamond plate powered by a 502. Awsome boats they all ride level and never sink in the back we you come off step. Here is my boat they built.

AK Bear Hunter

Check your messages ,I sent you a P.M

Thanks for the info Roger. Sounds like impressive boats to say the least! Anything you can drive an Argo into with or without tracks is one heck of a boat. What rpm's do you guys run on cruise? Max? 1500 hrs is good on any sport boats I have seen. Most jet boats are getting maybe a 1000, with a few exceptions.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast