Thread: So what coat does everyone like?

Default So what coat does everyone like?

There is a lot of info available concerning base layers, shirts and pants, socks and liners, boot,s and rain gear. But not many comments about coats or jackets. So what jacket/coat does everyone like?

Very few Alaskan hunters wear a coat.

Layers layers layers layers layers

The usual combo of clothes is synthetic long-johns, a fleece layer or two and a wind/rain layer.

For a fall hunting jacket I wear a Mountain Hardwear micro fleece jacket with windstopper.

I personally like a polar fleece jacket, even in the dead of winter. With proper layers it keeps me warm and dry, but not too hot. It wicks moisture away from me and in all but the hardest rain it doesn't get me wet.
    Chris Willhoite

Default layers here as well

I wear under armor, fleece pull over, fleece zip up, and then a rain jacket to stop the wind if need be. Bottom half I wear under armor, fleece warmer pants and then a thin quick drying pant. I keep my chest waders for water crossing and rain, on hand for the bottom half. Works like a champ so far for me.

I picked up a River's West waterproof/windproof fleece jacket before my haul road caribou hunt. I really liked it, and it was very comfortable at cooler temps. It was way too hot, though, for that 75-degree mid-afternoon weather.

Default depending on weather,

under armour lightweight for sept. bowhunt elk, then filson wool for nov. whitetail.

Thumbs down Dan in Alaska

I'm on my 2nd set of Rivers West rain wear and have never been more disappointed than I have with this rainwear. My 1st set leaked like a sieve and I returned them and they gave me a new set last fall.

I then took the new set on 4 hunts totalling 14 days and eight of those days were in rain. They would be fine for a day of hard rain then they started leaking plus you could not dry them out and the water would hold in them like a sponge, tripleing the weight of the pants and coat. I was glad I took other rainwear with me.

They might be fine in other climates, not in SE AK.

I'm currently trying to get my money back.

kingfisherktn

Revolution Fleece

Been wearing for last three years. You stay dry and warm in the tree stand. Can get a bit warm while packing or long hikes but that can be averted by stripping your underlayers. The pants made from the same material are amazing as well.

Was impressed enough to order a pair of the bibs but you do not want to wear those above 35F. :-)