Thread: Tanana Flats Suggestions by boat

Default Tanana Flats Suggestions by boat

I have not hunted the flats before and just looking for general info or ideas, tip etc foe moose hunting and possibely launch areas that will help me get away from the crowds I am military and will only be able to hunt a few days for the opener.

Thanks in Advance, BIG 27

Default Clear Creek

My info is dreadfully old but here is a suggestion. Take a river boat down the Chena to the Tanana. Head towards Nenana, turn left up Salchaket slough. Turn right into Clear Creek, then motor as far as possible past Salmon Loaf (an archaeological sight). Take some light tackle and fish for grayling. Good chance for moose and black bear.

Last year I hunted the flats here and on Salchaket slough the MP fish and game nazi's was out there with a check point. So make sure your ducks are in a row!

Permit to hunt on FWA
    Hunting license
    Hunting Permit
    Hunters education card
    Boat registration
    No loaded firearms
    life vests

Don't get me wrong it's good to have those things...But by time you check everyone entering or exiting the slough your hunting day is about over.

I finally resorted to hunting the islands and smaller water ways and avoiding the slough

Default 7 mile slough

The Salchaket slough is close to town but as with all places close to town is very crowded. The hunting pressure off the slough is unreal because unless you have an airboat you cannot hunt inland its to swampy. I suggest heading further down the Tanana river a few miles to 7 mile slough. Their is much less pressure and its not quite as swampy right off the banks.

Default Thanks Much

Thanks for the advice and good hunting to all.

BIG 27

I spend a lot of time on the Tanana, avoid salchaket. Tons of people. For some reason it's a very popular slough, although I haven't figured out why. Park anywhere on the Tanana and walk into the swamps, and climb a tree or two. That will probably be your best bet to find a moose.

-Eric

Rosie Creek is a whole lot closer to Salchaket Slough than going down the Chena. Rosie Creek is off Chena Pump road. Just go out Chena Pump rd till you see the road start to climb up the hill. Just before the hill Rosie Creek Campground is on the left.

Unhappy do not leave your truck

If you go in from Chena Pump some aholes will be by to bust out your windows. I was in from Monday morning until thursday afternoon a few years ago and when we got back 17 rigs had the windows broken out.