Thread: AK Newby

Default AK Newby

I am planning to take my kids fishing to Alaska next summer and I could use a little advice. I need to get going on it since I am getting shipped back to Iraq in a couple weeks.

First, I am a reasonably experienced fisherman, at least by Rocky Mountain standards, if not by those in Alaska.

My oldest son (16) really likes to fish and is good at it. My youngest son (12) isn't into it quite so much, but will do it as long as we don't fish every day. My wife is not into fishing at all and it will just be us guys.

My thought is stay near Seward to get a variety of fishing and general sight seeing.

Is Seward a good base location? If not, is there someplace better?

What time of year is best to go? Perhaps a better way to ask is what fish run in June vs. August?

Ideally, I would do a mix of ocean and stream fishing. I also like the idea of flying into a lake for trout fishing. Also, I want to hit Kenai Fjords for a couple days and any guidance is appreciated.

I won't say that money is no object, but it isn't that big of a deal and I will spend more for a quality experience.

Default The Best Way to Come Into AK...

By all means, do your research!

There are great books in the bookstore on this site that will give you the general overview of what you seek.

Start with a couple of them and there you will find your answers. Once you narrow it down, come back and ask the locals on this forum. Believe me, these guys are in the know...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Lots of variables

Proton,

For starters, welcome to Outdoors Directory! You'll find this to be a great place for the information you need for your trip.

For the Kenai Fjords stuff you'll for sure need to be in Seward. This is also a great place from which to charter for halibut, ling cod, rockfish and silver salmon. Not the greatest place for a fly-out trip, but there are some available. Some great flight seeing trips out of Seward though, if your better half doesn't mind getting into a small airplane. It's beautiful down there; Seward is one of my favorite places in Southcentral Alaska.

Of course there are many other options for you as well. Mostly it's about timing up here, especially when it comes to salmon. Alaska has five species of salmon, and success or failure in fishing for them is depends totally on being there at the right time. July can be a great time for a combination charter involving silvers out of Seward, but you could end up between runs of sockeye if you're planning to fish the upper Kenai River for them. August can be really nice too, but that's typically when we start seeing more rain (this year, so far, has been a notable exception).

Drop me a PM and let's get together on the phone. I'd be happy to help you directly, and it won't cost you a dime!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There isn't much stream fishing near Seward. If you are looking for river fishing Soldotna might be a better choice. It is fairly centrally located on the peninsula. This forum is a good place to learn where and how people fish.

Thumbs up Thanks

Proton,

First, Thanks for serving and protecting our freedom.

Welcome and have fun researching this winter. This forum is a great research tool, along with scores of books. If you plan to drive, the milepost is a must. Flying, consider renting an RV. Whittier Boats, one of our proud sponsors can also help you out!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default thanks for your sacrifice

Welcome Proton, I first of all want to thank you for your service to our country. Our service men and women get taken way too for granted, and I for one am always humbled by the sacrifices they make. That being said, I would be honored to have you and your boys spend a day in my boat on the kenai river if you would like. I am a guide, (after reading some of these forums I hope that doesn't make you consider me the enemy),have lived here almost 30 years, and enjoy sharing my love of the amazing kenai river with people who can't get out there on their own. Depending on your scheduling and mine, maybe we could work this out. If not, feel free to pm me for any information or questions you might have. I will do my best to point you in the right direction. Once again, welcome to Alaska and thanks to you and your family for the sacrifices you make to help keep us all free.

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    I am a guide, (after reading some of these forums I hope that doesn't make you consider me the enemy),have lived here almost 30 years, and enjoy sharing my love of the amazing kenai river with people who can't get out there on their own.
    You aren't with me! You are a true Alaskan Guide!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Thanks!!

Thanks Bassking...... Money isn't the main reason some of us do this. I honestly enjoy sharing my love for this river and trying to educate people as to the complex machine it is, both fish-wise and ecologically and economically. And believe it or not every now and then a rod bends too!Really appreciated your comment... Again... Thank You!

Default Ditto on the gratitude

Once again, thank you!!!

There is a great recreation site in Seward for both active duty and vetrans with boats, fishing equipment and processing available for your use. While I great respect the previous posters, I do offer some disagreement. There is great stream and lake fishing close to Seward, particularly in late July and August. Likewise, a short distance from Seward there is a floatplane operator that can take you into some very secluded and yet fantastic stillwater fishing with breath taking scenery.

The Kenai Peninsula is truly Alaska's recreation capital. If you choose to fish the Kenai, you are a 2 hour drive from Seward, and even less for the Russian.

There are plenty of adventures, exploration, fish and so on very close to Seward, so I think you are on the right track. Follow Mr. Strahan's advice and try to focus your desires a bit and then come back and ask questions. If you choose to see the professional services of guides, charters, pilots, or whatever, booking sooner rather than later will get you a better chance at securing the better providers for prime time (hope that makes sense).

Good luck, again welcome and THANK YOU