Thread: Ferry Trail

Default Ferry Trail

Any ideas on how to get across the nenana river to access the Ferry Trail? The RR nazi's are telling me that since my wheeler is wider than 45", I would be required to pay $70 each way for a flagger to come out and make sure there are no trains coming. For a 30 second ride. Then, I have to know exactly when my return is....and if I don't show, still have to pay for the flagger to show up (read: if I get a moose and am late getting out) and then have to pay $70/HOUR for another flagger to show up. So, in other words, they are restricting access to get in to that GMU for those of us that have wheelers that are newer than 10 years old.

God forbid that I cross on my own, because if I am caught I 'will be arrested, prosecuted and put in jail, and my wheeler impounded'.

Anyone else fed up with this crap? It's all being designed for the guides taking out-of-state high paying clients in to hunt on our lands......

Default Train

No, actually my 2005 rancher fit just fine. And you should go down there when a train comes around the bend and count just how long you have from when you see it until its on you. Those aren't slow moving trains through that area and your wheeler is going to take more than 30 seconds to get across that. I think its more a safety issue since people die every year than a guide thing. But look at it this way, pay the $140 for a flagger or go see how much an air charter into that area costs.

Default Nenana RR bridge

I have crossed that bridge several times on the ATV bridge, if that is what you want to call it. The trains run 59 mph through there, maybe 49 mph, but the point is this. If you start across the bridge on the tracks and a train rounds the bend on either side, you will not make it across before the train over takes you. Period. **** those nazi's. **** those guides. I have seen three trains pass through there in a 20 minute period, they are not always on schedule either.That being said, my '01 Kodiak on Mudlites fits across just fine. A Honda Rancher will probably fit too. If you have 4 wheel independent suspension you can lift machine and ratchet strap the A arms together to narrow your stance a couple inches. **** those ATV manufacturers. Good luck, 140 bucks is a lot cheaper than a funeral.

A friend of mine had to change to smaller tires on his 2006 Grizzly and the 2001 Polaris 500 I was on fit just fine.The Polaris was a tight squeeze but since it was Independent Suspension it tightened up in the tight spots but still made it through.Kinda hairy the first time but after that I got used to it.Everyone is right about the trains,they are MOVING through there.2 years ago they actually had a RR person sitting in a truck all day just to watch the bridge,pretty anal if you ask me.You should be just fine.

Tim

Good idea on the independent suspension and strapping them together. Even on stock tires, my wheeler measures 48" across....the bridge access is 45". I have a 2005 Polaris.

I do know the trains hustle through that bridge....I have seen them. Whole point is that I don't want to "Maverick" across, however, as access and numbers of hunters continues to decline, it is more and more a 'sporting event' for the affluent. It is also iconically ironic that fins and feathers relaxes motorized access into that area at about the same time that the RR installs new barricades to the tracks. It is as though fins and feathers has 'contracted' with the RR to provide enforcement of the motorized access (restriction) into that game management system.

By the way, you guys sound like you work for the RR......

Default Boat?

Is shuttling atv's across via boat possible? Has it been tried/done?

I've crossed that train bridge many times except I used the walkway on the left side of the bridge and rode my 4 wheeler across. I know another guy that did it last year and pulled a PakRat trailer too. I wouldn't chance crossing on the tracks, to many things can go wrong.

Default RR bridge is dangerous if your on the tracks

I had a friend that used the tracks as his wheeler was too wide for the walking bridge. He had difficulty getting the wheeler off on the other side as it did not want to climb out and over the steel rail, even in 4WD. Finally in desperation a few guys grabbed the front end and yanked it off the tracks. Two minutes later a train came through. He has never been back and it cured him of riding the RR tracks. Don't put yourself in that situation as no moose or caribou is worth getting squashed.
    BK

I use a cargo strap and pull my fenders in on my 2006 750 Brute Force to get across. No problem, better than meeting a train. Seen a Jeep get caught on the trestle and knocked into the river by the train. The Jeep would not climb over the rails, the occupants jumped.

Seen a friend cross in a Chevy one ton truck with big wheels, a big winch, and a steel cable strung across the river. Would not advise it, they almost died. Forget the boat, check out the current sometimes, washed that truck away. The steel cable was the only thing that saved them. River isn't that deep, just fast. Going in there with my Suzuki Samurai before Moose season starts. It's a nice place to ride.

Gray -

My Polaris Sportsman is 48" wide.....I am wondering if the ratchet strap idea will work on the A arms? Thoughts?

I have seen the trains run thru there and would not like to risk the chance of being caught on the bridge.