Thread: Swarovski 8.5 EL or 10's?

Default Swarovski 8.5 EL or 10's?

Well after a long time deciding and trying all of the optics around, I've narrowed it down to the Swarovski EL's. I tried almost every pair that Sportsman's WH had and kept coming back to the El's every time. So now my question is, which power do most of you guys use/like more? I have the 8.5's on lay-away, but haven't settled on those or the 10 power yet. I like how I can keep the 8.5's a bit steadier and also the larger FOV. I plan on using them for Moose this season and then sheep next, along with a spotting scope (for sheep). Any pointers/tips/ ideas on which to choose is appreciated. Thanks for any help. I know it really comes down to personal preference, but I like to hear all options before I choose.

Default EL's

I own both and would choose the 10X if I could only own one. You will learn to hold the 10X steady as you use them hour after hour. The EL's are so light weight that the 10X is like holding the 8X SLC models. I even have a friend who uses the 15X and consistantly spots animals that others have missed.

Default el's

I have had both and keep the 8.5's they draw a lot more light then the 10's. Most guys have a spotting scope anyway, so I see no advantage to the 10's and yes they are harder to hand hold, especially as you get a little older.

Forum Sponsor
    New York

"I like how I can keep the 8.5's a bit steadier and also the larger FOV"

I think you have answered your own question. Binoculars are a very individual thing. Who can hold what power steady does not mean anything if you cannot hold it steady. If you like the bigger FOV, and it is easier to hold then the 8.5 is the one to go with.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Camera Land