Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS?

Default PWS?

Do you think a 15 1/2' or 16' zodiac/avon/achilies (etc.) inflatable with a 35-50 horse can run safely out through passage cannal to main bay, knight island ( for butts), and to pigot point?...

If the weather is calm. Its 37 miles to Main bay. Knight island is further. Big water for a small boat.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Im aware of that , thats why im asking :P whats the biggest waves you think a zodiac style boat can handle?... obviously they must be pretty good if the coast guard chooses them ... id be bringing alot of gas along and would probably be camping in a bay or on a week trip... Just looking into the possibilities I can do if i get a zodiac style boat for my first boat... thanks alot - nick............ Oh one more thing, do you think it would be worth it to spend an extra 500-1000 dollars for an 18'?

What the boat can handle is much more a function of who is driving than the hull itself. Run into a headwind too fast with steep sees and you can easily flip the boat.

To me it would be the bigger question of how wet, cold and beat the heck miserable are you willing to be on a trip of that length? I couldn't imagine being crouched down in a zodiak for over 2 hours in moderate water conditions. By moderate I mean 2-3 foot swells with blowing spray. I would consider those as average conditions. You'll get some days where the water is glass, and others where you need to stay in port or wherever you can anchor up and hide.

I've run out to the North end of Knight Island several times this year. You can't appreciate how far it is from the Culross until you head out there. I see a zodiak of that size as a suitable boat out to Pigot and Colross Passage, though even crossing Wells is a pretty good jaunt.

I have a friend who used to run a 16' Naaid deep V rib in the winter from Seward to Day Harbor. He'd wear a dry suit, a motorcycle helmut and configured a center console with a PWC style seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Do you think a 15 1/2' or 16' zodiac/avon/achilies (etc.) inflatable with a 35-50 horse can run safely out through passage cannal to main bay, knight island ( for butts), and to pigot point?...
    I think Paul H has the answer.

You need to pick your days. If you know how to handle the boat, you can probably make those trips in crappy weather. But after you do it a few times, you may come to realize that just because you can doesn't mean that you want to.

For an extra 500-1,000 bucks, I'd choose an 18 over a 16'. There's not much room in inflatables. Be sure to pick quality over quantity. Given a choice between a good quality 16' and a lesser quality 18', choose the 16'. Also, there used to be (I think) a paperback book at Barnes & Noble on how to choose and maintain an inflatable. Check it out.

I would probably put a lot of work into the boat that i decide to buy... primarily a canvas to block some sea spray. I will also have a VHF marine radio.. and will huge the shore. I wouldnt be going the whole stretch at once, id stop at certain areas and fish, stay the night, go on to the next place. etc. .......... I would probably run from the harbor in whittier, thru passage cannal Into wells passage the hug the shore SW into main bay for reds. The next day I would run East (if weather is acceptable) to north knight island and pick up some butts. From there I would reverse my passage and hug the shore on the way back (weather provided)... I would plan this to be a 3 day trip... But would take 5-7 days off from work incase i have to anchor in a bay due to weather

Default $$

Don't know what your budget will be but if you go with a used 40 hp
    4 stroke you will make long runs without having 3 tanks of extra gas in the boat & its much more quiet. Downside is it will be heavy enough that you will have to anchor the boat when camping & not drag it down to the water when the tide is way out.
    BTW if you just after butts deep creek & homer have much closer runs & reds can be in China poot.

My budget isnt very big... Dont know if i listed that im only 14 on this post... so im in the process of saving.... Right now I have around 1500-1700 saved... And expect to spend 5000~ on a truck and 4000~ On a boat

If $9000 is going to be your budget spend $7000 on the truck and spend $2000 on a weekend charter.

You must be crazy o.o... Why would you buy a charter and a more expensive truck then i need... Planning on getting an early 90s f-150... And a zodiac or avon etc...

Charters last a day or two... A boat lasts as long as you want... or until you decide you need a bigger one

Its a matter of priorities. Do you want a more reliable vehicle to drive every day or would you prefer to spend about equal amounts between your vehicle and a form of entertainment that you will use for a couple months on the weekends. It makes sense to me to have a more reliable vehicle hence the 7k&2k vs 5k&4k that you were planning.

My first boat was a 10'6" zodiac with a 9.9hp yamaha both bought new, boat first year $800, motor second $1600. I putted around the lakes, went to the Little Su often and the Deshka a couple times. BTW I was paying for a $18k truck back then and never had any issues getting to work. When you start working a full time job you more than likely won't be able to take a week off so planning for that would be all for none.

The saltwater is awesome but it can be very unforgiving. IMO 38 miles out on the salt by an inexperienced boater is not the smartest idea in a small craft. Is it doable, when the weather cooperates of course, when it doesn't, lol, I'd hate to be in your shoes.

I understand youre concerns.... however i do have a fulltime job... I wont buy a peice of shi* vechile... And boating /fishing isnt just a hobby for me, its a way of life, and i plan to be a game warden or fishieries biologist. The truck is the first priority but im not about to half ass my first boat on something that will die 10 miles offshore

To put it simply... i guess i just dont like to be told it cant be done. Just not my attitude

Ugh forgot one more thing... Although im not gonna say i know it all, because im far from it, i do have plenty of river experience, just not quite firmilar with salt yet except for a couple trips. I know how to read the water, clouds, and wind.. and will not attempt to go into salt as a captain before i take the course that the coast guard offers.

Well I guess I just got told by a 14 yr old potty mouth brat. And just why are you asking for opinions when you already know what suites you and what will work? Nevermind, I'm not going to waste anymore time with this I already said more than I should have.

sorry bighorn maybe i took it a little too far

Lots of sage advice here. Slow down and try to absorb what is being shared.

As an asside, to prepare yourself for a crear as a biologist or warden, you need to put your efforts into schooling. I'd also highly recomend contacting folks in those fields and finding out exactly what it is they do on a daily basis. Often time jobs that sound cool are mostly extremely boring and tedious. If the reality of the job is only 10% of the stuff you really enjoy doing, and 90% stuff you can't stand, then you might find it's not the gig for you.

One thing to remember with ocean boats is, there are the boats you can afford right now, but which you only end up taking out once of twice during the year due to limitations on the water or cost of opperation, and then the boats you have to save up for a couple extra years, but which will meet 80-90% of your needs.

A zodiak type boat is extremely versatile so long as you are aware of it's limitations and the limitations of those you'll be taking out on the water.

Also be aware that used inflatables have a finite life, and that is dramatically affected by how the boat was stored. Sad to say more than a few of the older inflatables you'll come across at killer prices, really should be taken to a landfill vs being sold to some unsuspecting new boater.

Well with that being said what would you personally do paul?

Build a Tolman skiff

Unfortunately I dont know the art of boat or wood crafting :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast